Well, at least MD fans are consistent

No doubt...But what wonder is if they will start banning alcohol at the games.

And lighting fires in the street may be fun but all it takes is one dumbass to throw something in there he shouldn't and the blaze gets ignited and then, lots of things could happen.

I may be misunderstanding this post but alcohol is already banned from NCAA games. Now that doesn't mean that the students weren't drinking all day prior to this game, obviously, but it isn't sold at Comcast.

Curious, what school do you support, since you have stated you aren't a MD fan.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it interesting that comparing and bashing opposing fan bases is something for fans to badger other fans about. Especially in a case like this when the fans on the hangout being antagonized had nothing to do with what happened.

It's like ha, my school that I didn't go to or have any connection with is better than your school because our fans don't do dumb stuff like your schools fan do. Who cares?

Yes, the MD fans shouldn't riot like this, but that's not a reason for opposing fans razz us imo.

But bringing up cheer cheat sheets is?

(Btw, i want you to know that i think that is also lame...and I think most of Duke students I wouldn't be able to stand...but the hypocracy of MD fans is extremely funny)

I may be misunderstanding this post but alcohol is already banned from NCAA games. Now that doesn't mean that the students weren't drinking all day prior to this game, obviously, but it isn't sold at Comcast.

Curious, what school do you support, since you have stated you aren't a MD fan.

I assumed it was allowed...Been to some college games and honestly didn't remember.

(Btw, i want you to know that i think that is also lame...and I think most of Duke students I wouldn't be able to stand...but the hypocracy of MD fans is extremely funny)

I don't bring up cheer sheets.

BTW, it's also a lot different for MD fans to bring up cheer sheets on a maryland board or forum than if they did it on a Duke board.

When you find a bunch of students actively organizing the post-game riot activity, you can bring up the cheat-sheet bashing.

It's an innocent gathering of people until one moron breaks something. Then it's a riot and all the sudden everyone in the crowd is guilty by association.

Remember...there are probably a handful of people who did dumb s--- last night. Who knows if they were even students. A majority of those people were just celebrating and not breaking the law.

Lighten up. A few people being idiots shouldn't be the image brought upon the whole group.

If you were a student at MD, had been drinking all day before the game, and didn't want to get a little rowdy after a big win like that then I don't know what to say to you.

Yeah it got out of line but don't act like it only happens at Maryland or that they're notorious for it. It happens at every big state school after an emotional, exciting, prime time win against a rival.

Maryland student fans are very consistent and it's very embarrassing. From off-color chants (classless and unnecessary) to being unable to control themselves after big wins, it's unfortunate that these things seem to be a part of the student fan experience at Maryland.

I'm more embarrassed by F-you chants then the "riots" since most of those are probably started by a few stupid yahoos. Either way, it's something I accpet bt am not proud of as a Maryland fan.

The big problem with the rioting is that a few people do something illegal, then the PG county cops come out en masse even though most people are just on rt 1 celebrating and having a good time, hanging out at bars, etc. When the cops come with the riot gear and put on their big production, idiots from other fanbases and the media run with it and try to make it a story. It isn't at all.

Duke fans think thay are above all the Maryland fans, it is alright for them to throw condoms at Herman Veal, but not alright to do the FU cheer? Not much differance to me, yet Duke doesnt get called out on it. More recent, the things they said to Grevis, ok? I for one dont have much problem with the RRpt 2 cheer, you suck. FU is a little over the top but just as bad as the personal stuff yelled at Grevis. Face it the kids are kids.

And anyone who doesnt know alcohol is not allowed in any collage basketball arena on campus hasnt been to games.

Roits, just the Paul Blarts (CP campus police) overreacting. Fires should be not happen and should be stopped. Most of the kids are just having fun, not vandelizing.

Every village has its idiots. I personally would like the school step up and ban the FYou chants. This was a great game and for 98% of the game the crowd was load and definitely a source of energy for the team. The obscene chants need to stop. As for the after game stuff, again probably a small percentage were destructive. Bottom line Maryland is not a johhnny come lately to the National scene and a win against College Basketballs darlings should be celebrated but not as if it was a first time thing.

I don't think that cops letting people light fires in the streets is realistic, even if it is their own stuff. That being said, I think it would be perfectly fine for them to close down that little section of route 1 so that people could at least go and cheer/dance/whatever in the street.

As somebody who was going to grad school at nearby CUA when this nonsense began, I cannot believe that this is allowed to continue. Rte 1 is an essential road around there. There are plenty of huge spaces right there for students to congregate and be arrested for burning mattresses. Isn't there a fire station right there?

The big problem with the rioting is that a few people do something illegal, then the PG county cops come out en masse even though most people are just on rt 1 celebrating and having a good time, hanging out at bars, etc. When the cops come with the riot gear and put on their big production, idiots from other fanbases and the media run with it and try to make it a story. It isn't at all.

I think that contributed to it more than anything.

Apparently PG County didn't think the Terps would win and didn't plan accordingly.

I go to UMD and live and college park. The people that were gathered on Rt.1 were not what I would call "fans". They were idiots who just think thats what you have to do when you beat duke. Duke is a big deal to them because that is the only thing they recognize about college basketball. Willing to bet over half of those morons didn't watch the vt game. They were just students that didn't go to the game and instead of rushing the court, they rushed route 1. Idiots. Not fans.

Archived