Ray's Skipper, Too Many AL East Tilts During ST

GulfBird

I was sitting here watching the Rays-Yanks on MLB-TV and I over heard the Yanks announcers bring up the subject that Rays Manager Joe Maddon was "upset" that the Rays would be playing too many games against the AL East during Spring Training...here is the link to the story found on the Rays home page...

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100303&content_id=8660612&vkey=news_tb&fext=.jsp&c_id=tb

If anyone is curious, (not that it makes a difference) the O's play 15 games against the AL East during ST in 2010 (four against TB, four against NYY, three against TOR and four against BOS) and a total of 21 games against AL teams which is a big change over being in Ft Lauderdale which we only faced the Twins and RSox

"Preferably, you'd like to try something against a National League team if you're going to do anything. Not like you're going crazy trying a bunch of stuff, but there are items that you'd rather keep in your back pocket. But the way the schedule sets up, it's virtually impossible."

He's worried about the "familiarity thing" as he states. It goes both ways but I can understand his concern. He wants every advantage he can get and needs.

MLB doesn't force a schedule on the teams for spring training does it? I was under the impression that the teams got together and handled the issue amongst themselves.

Good question, I'd like to know if they are required to play the games at all.

Archived