Md vs Va (Who ya got?) Game Thread

You gotta think MD wins and wins rather easily but you never know...UVA is capable of beating them...They like to slow it down, which is never great for MD's style...i was worried about the UVA game last week but they didn't have Landesburg, so they didn't have a chance vs Duke.

Could be a trap game but I don't think the seniors let them lose this game.

Yea ugly game, and somewhat predictable. Maryland did not have a lot of pep or emotion today.

Bennet is a good young coach but that tech was just plain awful. IMO the blocking call was dead on and throwing your coat is always a technical.

In a 2 point game a bad lack of control. Not pretty but a win. 13-3, not bad at all.

I just got back from the game. Now Maryland is the only local team I am not a fan of just because the majority of both sides of my family went to UVA and I have been traveling from Baltimore all the way to Charlottesville since I was real young to most regular season game for cause my family has always had season tickets. Now that I go to UVA I still root for them. I do root for Maryland though, when they are not playing UVA.So I have never had a big rivalry feel for the game because I do like both and hope both do well. Now I don't like when people blame games on refs but I am going to be honest they gave the terps the game in the last minute of the game. I was expecting a terps blowout especially with Landesberg doing a terrible thing to his team and being suspended the rest of the year. But the 'Hoos managed to keep it close because Meyinsee had the game of his life.

Now this is where the refs messed it up they called Vazquez for a charge with about minute life and it was the right call. But once after they called the charge Gary went on the floor and was complaining and yelling at the ref for quite some time and no technical was called. Then once the resume play Virginia has the ball down 1 and they make a terrible terrible (and I mean terrible) traveling call on Farrakhan. Everyone was upset and so was Bennett, but he didn't run on the court and yell at the ref like Gary did. I don't think he even said anything to the ref after it. So once Maryland gets the ball there is a questionable blocking foul called on Virginia I couldn't really tell but it looked like Mosley charged but again I couldn't tell So once that happens Bennett runs on the court furious and with 3 seconds he gets a technical foul called, when Gary did the same thing two plays earlier without for like 40 seconds without even a warning. This all happens when Virginia is down one and obviously Maryland make their free throws and wins by more. I am sorry but I just don't understand how you can call that technical foul on Bennett when you allow Gary to do the same thing for a longer period of time without even a warning. I just don't.

Also the fans from each team were fine towards each other the whole game. I sat where my families tickets are cause its spring break and there was no one in the student section to sit with. So I didn't sit in the student section so I don't know how it was in that perspective, but it didn't look bad. Anyway like I said the fan from both sides where fine and nice to each other the whole game. But once the game finished a lot but not all Maryland fans erupted into totally classless behavior. I walked out of the game with my grandparents and a group of three guys we two who looked couple years older than me and one who looked like he was in his mid thirties ran up to my grandparents and starting taunting them and yelling that Virginia Sucks and other things of that nature until a stadium attendant intervened. Also there were many Maryland fans especially at the exit going crazy and yelling Virginia sucks and some other profanities rubbing it on our faces that we lost when our best player was out and the players that played had to play their hearts out to be that close in the game, like they had never been the before or won anything big in their program before. Like I said I like both teams obviously Virginia is my #1, so I hate when this happens. Especially when they fans weren't this bad during the game itself.

Congrats to Maryland though, they deserve it. I hope they make it very far and prove a lot of people wrong during tournament time.

Did they lobotomize the referees at halftime? I was very impressed with how well they called the first half. Then they simply lost their mind in the 2nd half. There were some absolutely dreadful calls. They lost control of the game. To be honest, many more of the bad calls went against MD than against UVA so it was odd that the UVA coach lost him mind like that on a call that wasn't even wrong.

MD definitely played like a tired team today, but they got it done.

BTW, when did Bowie become a 3 pt threat? The guy is just on fire out there. He played great again today.

Congrats to MD on a great ACC regular season. That banner is going to look sweet in the rafters.

Yea, I felt the same way. I was surprised that Va got the charge on Grevis when there guy was under the basket. I thought the ref got the call on Moseley's drive right. They said that was Bennet's first career tech. He will have a hard time topping that one for stupidity.

Archived