Md vs Va (Who ya got?) Game Thread

I just got back from the game. Now Maryland is the only local team I am not a fan of just because the majority of both sides of my family went to UVA and I have been traveling from Baltimore all the way to Charlottesville since I was real young to most regular season game for cause my family has always had season tickets. Now that I go to UVA I still root for them. I do root for Maryland though, when they are not playing UVA.So I have never had a big rivalry feel for the game because I do like both and hope both do well. Now I don't like when people blame games on refs but I am going to be honest they gave the terps the game in the last minute of the game. I was expecting a terps blowout especially with Landesberg doing a terrible thing to his team and being suspended the rest of the year. But the 'Hoos managed to keep it close because Meyinsee had the game of his life.

Now this is where the refs messed it up they called Vazquez for a charge with about minute life and it was the right call. But once after they called the charge Gary went on the floor and was complaining and yelling at the ref for quite some time and no technical was called. Then once the resume play Virginia has the ball down 1 and they make a terrible terrible (and I mean terrible) traveling call on Farrakhan. Everyone was upset and so was Bennett, but he didn't run on the court and yell at the ref like Gary did. I don't think he even said anything to the ref after it. So once Maryland gets the ball there is a questionable blocking foul called on Virginia I couldn't really tell but it looked like Mosley charged but again I couldn't tell So once that happens Bennett runs on the court furious and with 3 seconds he gets a technical foul called, when Gary did the same thing two plays earlier without for like 40 seconds without even a warning. This all happens when Virginia is down one and obviously Maryland make their free throws and wins by more. I am sorry but I just don't understand how you can call that technical foul on Bennett when you allow Gary to do the same thing for a longer period of time without even a warning. I just don't.

Also the fans from each team were fine towards each other the whole game. I sat where my families tickets are cause its spring break and there was no one in the student section to sit with. So I didn't sit in the student section so I don't know how it was in that perspective, but it didn't look bad. Anyway like I said the fan from both sides where fine and nice to each other the whole game. But once the game finished a lot but not all Maryland fans erupted into totally classless behavior. I walked out of the game with my grandparents and a group of three guys we two who looked couple years older than me and one who looked like he was in his mid thirties ran up to my grandparents and starting taunting them and yelling that Virginia Sucks and other things of that nature until a stadium attendant intervened. Also there were many Maryland fans especially at the exit going crazy and yelling Virginia sucks and some other profanities rubbing it on our faces that we lost when our best player was out and the players that played had to play their hearts out to be that close in the game, like they had never been the before or won anything big in their program before. Like I said I like both teams obviously Virginia is my #1, so I hate when this happens. Especially when they fans weren't this bad during the game itself.

Congrats to Maryland though, they deserve it. I hope they make it very far and prove a lot of people wrong during tournament time.

Now this is where those of us who watched the game /w replay tell you that you're wrong on both points.

1. The charge call on GV happened under the basket, and those aren't supposed to be called.

2. It was clearly not a charge by Mosely, because the UVa player was sliding his feet when contact was made.

Then impartial announcers made both points. I could see the traveling call, but you're simply wrong on those two calls.

Now this is where those of us who watched the game /w replay tell you that you're wrong on both points.

1. The charge call on GV happened under the basket, and those aren't supposed to be called.

2. It was clearly not a charge by Mosely, because the UVa player was sliding his feet when contact was made.

Then impartial announcers made both points. I could see the traveling call, but you're simply wrong on those two calls.

I was sitting right next to it when it happened and it was definitely the right call he wasn't right under the basket and I said I wasn't sure if it was a charge on Mosley or not. Either way whether or not these calls were blown were not my point.

It's also wrong to say that Bennett got a Tech for doing the same thing Gary did when Gary didn't throw his jacket onto the court. There's a huge difference.

He threw it on the sideline, not the court. I have seen a coach take his jacket off plenty of times wen arguing a call and not get a technical including Gary. Taking your jacket off on the sideline to me doesn't justify getting a technical especially when he wasn't talking to the ref when he did it. Your right Gary didn't take his jacket off, but he did run on the court and complain for literally 30 seconds or more and stopped the game.

Close game, and I'm glad we won. The calls were biased indeed. Some of the most flagrant calls have already been mentioned, but our guys were getting a lot of contact when shooting and getting no-calls as well. On tape it's pretty clear that Vasquez shouldn't have been called for a charge, and the blocking call with Mosely was correct as well.

That being said, it's scary to think that we could have easily lost this game if it wasn't for some lights out shooting from three down the stretch by Vasquez. Virginia shouldn't have come that close in all honestly.....here's hoping we get some rest and come out motivated in the ACC tournament.

Well as many of you are pointing out I might be wrong on the travel call, but from my perspective it looked like a bad call. I said I didn't know about if that was a charge by Mosley or not and I agree with the Grevis charge call. Like I said though whether these calls were botched or not is not my point. My point is simply that William deserved a Technical as much as Bennett did and that technical foul call is what decided the game.

I've got this game on tape. You may want the tape. Your live observations are distorted. That is as nicely as I can put it.

With what Bennett did? Your probably right. I am open to changing my mind and admitting I am wrong like I said I probably was with the Farrakhan travel call. If I was wrong with the whole Bennett thing I still believe Gary deserved a technical foul. Also I don't know why you wouldn't put it nicely I am simply having a conversation of what I believe happened in the game. Sorry if it comes off differently.

With what Bennett did? Your probably right. I am open to changing my mind and admitting I am wrong like I said I probably was with the Farrakhan travel call. If I was wrong with the whole Bennett thing I still believe Gary deserved a technical foul. Also I don't know why you wouldn't put it nicely I am simply having a conversation of what I believe happened in the game. Sorry if it comes off differently.

I disagree with your view and if you go back and look at the tape and look at the look on your coaches face, he knew he was wrong. You could see it in his expression. A coach can not get a tech and a ref does not want to give one there. Bennett crossed the line and Gary did not.

Very bad coaching by A good young coach.

I was at the game. Boy was I sweating out in the last minute. Thank you Tony Bennett for throwing your jacket. It won Maryland the game. I was in the student section so I rubbed he win in a little bit, but not too much. Most of the VA fans were very nice and the arena was too.

But I have one question.

What the hell is a wahoo? Why do the fans never call them by their own mascot?

I was at the game. Boy was I sweating out in the last minute. Thank you Tony Bennett for throwing your jacket. It won Maryland the game. I was in the student section so I rubbed he win in a little bit, but not too much. Most of the VA fans were very nice and the arena was too.

But I have one question.

What the hell is a wahoo? Why do the fans never call them by their own mascot?

It's a hokie's twin brother ;)

I made the drive down to the game also on sat. Good game. Alot of fans left at halftime. Really nice stadium. Their fans and chants are kinda lame. Saw none of this classless stuff. Maryland had alot of fans in the upper deck. I thought it was louder when uva shot free throws than when we did? Did anyone realize this on tv? Crowd booed the most when a contestant during a tv timeout couldn't identify Dale Jr. in the "guess hoo" contest. haha. Watching your team win at another stadium is way better than watching them when at home.

Tony Bennett during timeouts stands with his assistant and conferences with them away from the team for about 75% of the long timeout. Great coaching strategy. I am so glad we have a coach and not just some recruiter. Could you imagine Gary ever having to rely on keith booth for in game strategy? I am so glad coaches like Roy Williams and Tony Bennett are in the acc. We also have a huge coaching advantage.

The average age for a non student uva fan is probably 58.

Tony Bennett during timeouts stands with his assistant and conferences with them away from the team for about 75% of the long timeout. Great coaching strategy. I am so glad we have a coach and not just some recruiter. Could you imagine Gary ever having to rely on keith booth for in game strategy? I am so glad coaches like Roy Williams and Tony Bennett are in the acc. We also have a huge coaching advantage.

The average age for a non student uva fan is probably 58.

Agreed with both of these points. Especially the UVA non-student fan. I was shocked by how many older people were there and how few late 20s-30s people I saw. It was just kind of weird.

Was fun driving down for the game, and I know it was spring break so that took out a lot of life, but wow was the arena so much more dead than I've ever seen Comcast for an ACC game. It was probably 3/4 full and just rarely loud at all. I didn't see any bad behavior by either fans ... after we left we got some UVA fans yelling at us saying "WHERE'S THE RIOT?" and that's about it. I should have said we were gonna go start fires in Charlottesville

Archived