Suppose Harper to the Nats, Taillon to the Bucs, and Ranaudo hurt....then who?

Really? I didn't think his injury was that serious, but at the same time, I don't know if Ranaudo has been quite right since the end of the 2009 college season. Had you gotten or heard if Ranaudo's velocity came back before the injury? And what exactly is wrong with him?

Personally, I hope someone else steps up between now and June because after Taillon and Harper, things looks like even more of a drop off than they did last year after Ackley and Strasburg. Atleast in 09, Matzek was still around. I am just not that high on McGuire, though I wasn't extremely high on Ranaudo either, but even with that said, to me he was still a clearcut top 3 talent.........Still haven't heard much about Chris Sale this year....

Depending on who you speak with, smaller injuries can be as worrisome as larger injuries since ulnar collateral ligament damage can result from a big event or from consistent wear-and-tear.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depending on who you speak with, smaller injuries can be as worrisome as larger injuries since ulnar collateral ligament damage can result from a big event or from consistent wear-and-tear.

Per ESPN Insider Chat

Kyle (OH) Can Machado stay at SS in the pros? If so, is he a possibility for a SS-starved Orioles organization or is that too much of a reach? Jim Callis   (2:42 PM) He can stay at shortstop and yes, he could go that high in the draft 

Per ESPN Insider Chat
Kyle (OH) Can Machado stay at SS in the pros? If so, is he a possibility for a SS-starved Orioles organization or is that too much of a reach? Jim Callis   (2:42 PM) He can stay at shortstop and yes, he could go that high in the draft 

I disagree a little with Jim on Machado (right now), but either way I don't think it has much to do with Ranaudo's elbow...;)

Regardless of how Ranaudo bounces back, I think you may be underselling the import of this current injury. I think he could drop out of the Top 10, regardless of how he shows the rest of the way.

Sorry I've been 'in and out' all.

I agree with Stotle here... Ranaudo's injury, however he bounces back, will likely drop him in the draft. If he returns very strong, I don't think he'll fall too far, but he could slip-- potentially out of the top ten.

Sorry I've been 'in and out' all.

I agree with Stotle here... Ranaudo's injury, however he bounces back, will likely drop him in the draft. If he returns very strong, I don't think he'll fall too far, but he could slip-- potentially out of the top ten.

Well, comp won't let me do a double reply, but first off I didn't think that the injury was so big for him. That sucks, but at the same time, I am sure that injury concern mixed with the Boras representation which already had an influence on him possibly dropping some due to a higher asking price, I see why...

Stotle, I never thought about that specific aspect. I thought of the arm injuries as merely a sign he happens to get injured a lot, but I didn't think of possible wear and tear from these injuries that could lead to TJ surgery....If I remember correctly, he has a strained UCL? That is what I had when I was pitching in HS. The doctor decribed it basically a small partial rupture or ruptures(small tears) in the ligament . So, I could definitely see how a strained ligament could preclude TJ surgery assuming my memory is correct on his injury.....

A bit off topic, but I really wish that it was the 2011 draft, we then wouldn't have to worry about who gets picked before us, we would still have ridiculously good arms and bats available regardless.

What exactly can the O's do to get extra picks in next year's draft? Are draft picks allowed to be traded now?

No you can't trade pics in the MLB draft and the only way to get additional picks is to loose high end free agents, which one potential could be Millwood.

In his chat today, Jim Callis from Baseball America had 2 things of interest, one the Bucs could pass on Tallion and go with a college pitcher, and 2 he indicated that Manny Machado could be a top 5 pick and could go as high as # 3.

No you can't trade pics in the MLB draft and the only way to get additional picks is to loose high end free agents, which one potential could be Millwood.

Is that true? Does anyone know for certain if Kevin Millwood can qualify for designation as a Type-A Free agent? I though age was also a factor.

If so... just how insane of a year would he have to have to qualify?

I hope he has a lights-out year this season and answers all the questions about his glove and ability to stay at shortstop...

At this point, I'd still lean towards Taillon/McGuire/Pomeranz but if Machado is sensational this year and looks like he can stay at SS, I'd be tempted.

I hope he has a lights-out year this season and answers all the questions about his glove and ability to stay at shortstop...

At this point, I'd still lean towards Taillon/McGuire/Pomeranz but if Machado is sensational this year and looks like he can stay at SS, I'd be tempted.

I deleted this twice, since I don't like posting incomplete thoughts, but since it looks like Machado is going to be a talking point around here I figure I'd go on the record in some form. I honestly do not see a fit with Machado, for a variety of reasons. After speaking with an associate scout a little bit, I just don't see him in the O's system.

Issue is not talent or attitude -- I saw him a couple of times this fall and he appears to absolutely love being on the field, to be a good teammate and to have the raw talents you all have clearly read about.

I deleted this twice, since I don't like posting incomplete thoughts, but since it looks like Machado is going to be a talking point around here I figure I'd go on the record in some form. I honestly do not see a fit with Machado, for a variety of reasons. After speaking with an associate scout a little bit, I just don't see him in the O's system.

Issue is not talent or attitude -- I saw him a couple of times this fall and he appears to absolutely love being on the field, to be a good teammate and to have the raw talents you all have clearly read about.

Well, my thing is, is that whether he is more solid bet to become a good ML SS over Givens or not, thats not the big deal. To me the big deal is that if we were gonna draft for need, I would think it would be a college SS like Colon who would be up to help us MUCH sooner than a Machado or Cabrera. What good does it do to draft for need and still have to wait 4-5 years before that void is filled. In that time, we should be able to come up with a decent SS option. The only reason BA says he could be drafted as high as 1:3 is due to the lack of SS prospects in our system.

And I have been saying what BA said about the Pirates taking a college arm rather than Taillon. If they do spend big bucks at 1:2 it will probably be for a safer bet to get their value back. IMO between Harper and Taillon, we have a 70% chance of drafting a premium player......

Well, my thing is, is that whether he is more solid bet to become a good ML SS over Givens or not, thats not the big deal. To me the big deal is that if we were gonna draft for need, I would think it would be a college SS like Colon who would be up to help us MUCH sooner than a Machado or Cabrera. What good does it do to draft for need and still have to wait 4-5 years before that void is filled. In that time, we should be able to come up with a decent SS option. The only reason BA says he could be drafted as high as 1:3 is due to the lack of SS prospects in our system.

And I have been saying what BA said about the Pirates taking a college arm rather than Taillon. If they do spend big bucks at 1:2 it will probably be for a safer bet to get their value back. IMO between Harper and Taillon, we have a 70% chance of drafting a premium player......

I agree that Harper going #1 is probably the best chance we have of getting one of the top 2 players (Harper & Taillon). The Pirates didn't want to take a high school arm that early last year, so they could do it again, passing on Taillon and letting him slip to us. That's more likely than them passing on Harper if the Nats decided to pick Taillon, thinking he'll be easier to sign.

It makes sense to me, but, of course, at this point this is all speculation.

I agree that Harper going #1 is probably the best chance we have of getting one of the top 2 players (Harper & Taillon). The Pirates didn't want to take a high school arm that early last year, so they could do it again, passing on Taillon and letting him slip to us. That's more likely than them passing on Harper if the Nats decided to pick Taillon, thinking he'll be easier to sign.

It makes sense to me, but, of course, at this point this is all speculation.

Yeah, looking back through the Pirates draft tendencies, even with different scouting directors, I cannot recall them taking a HSer in the 1st round at all. Last year, similarly to us, they skipped out on numerous prep arms even though many would have said the HS arms were the best available talent, especially Matzek. Jordan apparently didn't feel his value was worth his asking price, and I can understand that feeling, but not after he spiked his velocity toward the end of the year, but IMO his mind was already made up, and that was against Matzek. Taillon is a better pitching prospect in my opinion and has better present day stuff. Matzek was more of a projection type of draft prospect.

Yeah, looking back through the Pirates draft tendencies, even with different scouting directors, I cannot recall them taking a HSer in the 1st round at all. Last year, similarly to us, they skipped out on numerous prep arms even though many would have said the HS arms were the best available talent, especially Matzek. Jordan apparently didn't feel his value was worth his asking price, and I can understand that feeling, but not after he spiked his velocity toward the end of the year, but IMO his mind was already made up, and that was against Matzek. Taillon is a better pitching prospect in my opinion and has better present day stuff. Matzek was more of a projection type of draft prospect.

The Pirates have definitely gone the college route lately (in the 1st rd). They took highschoolers in 2004 & 2005, but those were position players - Neil Walker & Andrew McCutchen. The only high school pitchers they've taken in the last 20 years are Sean Burnett (2000), Bobby Bradley (1999) and Kurt Miller (1990).

Archived