Pujols for Ryan Howard?

Methodology

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4994845

Phillies GM denies the rumors but could anyone see this possibly happening?

I didn't know Howard was from St. Louis which makes me believe this rumor might at least have some truth even if it is miniscule. It also makes a little sense in money terms for St. Louis if they are looking for a replacement for Pujols as Howard would nto demand nearly as much.

Howard and Pujols are both elligible for FA at the same time though, so I don't really get this deal.

I'd rather have a boatload of prospects anyway for Pujols than the main piece being a 32 year old Ryan Howard locked up to a huge deal.

The Cards can fleece somebody for Pujols and if they are going to trade him that's what they need to be doing.

In reality they should have let Holliday walk and traded Pujols for a ransom this offseason.

Howard and Pujols are both elligible for FA at the same time though, so I don't really get this deal.

I'd rather have a boatload of prospects anyway for Pujols than the main piece being a 32 year old Ryan Howard locked up to a huge deal.

The Cards can fleece somebody for Pujols and if they are going to trade him that's what they need to be doing.

In reality they should have let Holliday walk and traded Pujols for a ransom this offseason.

Great idea if you're operating in a bubble. In reality, that move would have alienated an entire generation of Cardinals fans. You just don't trade a player like Albert Pujols.

This would be like the Orioles trading Cal Ripken in '91. Baltimore would have rioted. You just can't do that to a city.

Are you saying that the Cards don't have a chance to contend in the next couple of seasons and should have gone into a rebuild?

I think they've got one more season maybe, but the supporting cast around Pujols besides Holliday is not that impressive IMO.

And their farm system is pretty barren.

They could rebuild quickly by dealing Pujols if they get the right return.

I think they've got one more season maybe, but the supporting cast around Pujols besides Holliday is not that impressive IMO.

And their farm system is pretty barren.

They could rebuild quickly by dealing Pujols if they get the right return.

I can't see anyone trading for Pujols. Look at the buttload we got for Bedard. And Albert is 10 times the player. Who could afford him?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4994845

Phillies GM denies the rumors but could anyone see this possibly happening?

I didn't know Howard was from St. Louis which makes me believe this rumor might at least have some truth even if it is miniscule. It also makes a little sense in money terms for St. Louis if they are looking for a replacement for Pujols as Howard would nto demand nearly as much.

Is "Rujols" Albert Pujols in drag?

I find it hard to believe that anyone outside of a Philadelphia talk radio studio believes that Ryan Howard is even remotely equivalent to Albert Pujols. I'd think a more fair deal would be Howard and Utley for Pujols.

This isn't Dimaggio for Williams. It's more like Dimaggio for Rocky Colavito.

I can't see anyone trading for Pujols. Look at the buttload we got for Bedard. And Albert is 10 times the player. Who could afford him?

It would almost have to be a Johan Santana kind of deal, where the Cards would take 50 cents on the dollar just because nobody would give them true value. A fair deal for Pujols would have to be something along the lines of Wieters, Markakis and Matusz. Or maybe Feliz, Andrus, and Smoak. Josh Johnson, Hanley Ramirez, plus something... Along those lines.

This sounds like a message boards wet dream. Something that was contrived on phillieshangout.com and then before you know it all of a sudden there's a deal brewing. Sort of like how national media members are randomly fielding questions from Orioles fans about a prospects for Gonzalez deal...

Archived