Deck McGuire, RHP, Georgia Tech

For those who haven't seen McGuire in action, here is video I took from last night's game at Maryland:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cokMuXGBBg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cokMuXGBBg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

For those who haven't seen McGuire in action, here is video I took from last night's game at Maryland:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cokMuXGBBg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cokMuXGBBg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Great video... thanks for this.

I can't view the video, but I am surious of your thoughts and opionions on McGuire. Do you see him as being possibly more than a mid rotation arm? If I remember correctly about Deck, he's a long arm action guy with good arm speed, but I haven't been able to watch any video of him lately at all.

My feelings still are that he just isn't worth a #3 pick. He doesn't have the polish nor the command IMO to warrant the selection, atleast when you are expecting a college arm, and his stuff as a whole is good, but without the good command and/or good fastball, I am not as confident in him as some of the other possible college arms....

I can't view the video, but I am surious of your thoughts and opionions on McGuire. Do you see him as being possibly more than a mid rotation arm? If I remember correctly about Deck, he's a long arm action guy with good arm speed, but I haven't been able to watch any video of him lately at all.

My feelings still are that he just isn't worth a #3 pick. He doesn't have the polish nor the command IMO to warrant the selection, atleast when you are expecting a college arm, and his stuff as a whole is good, but without the good command and/or good fastball, I am not as confident in him as some of the other possible college arms....

Could you post some of the stuff you are reading about McGuire to give you this impression? Or are you going from things you've personally observed?

I don't know how to judge whether a player is worth the #3 pick but, in this video, he looks to fall off to first base. I also don't know how easy it is to fix stuff like that, but it could be a reason he seems to have command issues.

His arm does look pretty live to my untrained eye...just erratic in this video.

I don't know how to judge whether a player is worth the #3 pick but, in this video, he looks to fall off to first base. I also don't know how easy it is to fix stuff like that, but it could be a reason he seems to have command issues.

His arm does look pretty live to my untrained eye...just erratic in this video.

I wouldn't read too much into what you see in the video. It's essentially four or five ABs in one inning of one game. On the season, McGuire hasn't struggled with throwing strikes (maybe hitting spots, but I don't know since this was my first peak of the year and his other competition hasn't been too tough). But, his numbers are excellent:

39 IP, 39 SO, 8 BB, 28 H, 5 ER

Compares favorably to Pomeranz or Sale (again noting no one has gotten deep into conference play yet):

Pomeranz

29.1 IP, 49 SO, 9 BB, 18 H, 4 ER

Sale

26 IP, 40 SO, 4 BB, 22 H, 5 ER

And here is another guy who tends to fall-off to 1st some (it isn't in and of itself an issue tied to control or command -- depends on how he falls off and several other mechanical queues):

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca-tqBvBFj0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca-tqBvBFj0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxc0ezYHyUo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxc0ezYHyUo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Aww man, I wish you would have told me you were headed out for this one, I would have met you there. I went to Philly for the day Sat, but I could have moved some stuff around and gone Friday.

Could you post some of the stuff you are reading about McGuire to give you this impression? Or are you going from things you've personally observed?

Well, my feeling that I don't like him at 1:3 is more based off of a collection of things I have read on him. His fastball is solid average, his secondaries are anywhere from average to above average, yet his command isn't great. He also has questions about his composure on the mound. He kinda falls into a tweener category for me, his stuff isn't off the charts fantastic, but OTOH, he isn't extremely polished nor does he have any type of great command to help his stuff play up. If we want a polished arm, I want Pomeranz or Sale, if we want a power arm, I want Taillon, Cole, Covey, Ranaudo, Whitson. After Taillon and Harper, a lot of the draft eligibles are all very closely rated.

Well, my feeling that I don't like him at 1:3 is more based off of a collection of things I have read on him. His fastball is solid average, his secondaries are anywhere from average to above average, yet his command isn't great. He also has questions about his composure on the mound. He kinda falls into a tweener category for me, his stuff isn't off the charts fantastic, but OTOH, he isn't extremely polished nor does he have any type of great command to help his stuff play up. If we want a polished arm, I want Pomeranz or Sale, if we want a power arm, I want Taillon, Cole, Covey, Ranaudo, Whitson. After Taillon and Harper, a lot of the draft eligibles are all very closely rated.

I understand, but you are just restating your opinion. I'm asking, can you show me where you are pulling that he has command issues and composure issues? Particularly confusing because Pomeranz has a pretty spotty history, particularly with pitch counts. His numbers look great this year, but check how many pitches he's had to throw and the fact that he's averaging less than 6 IP a start early on against not great teams (whereas McGuire is averaging just under 8 IP per start, also against not great teams).

I'm not knocking either of them too much, just curious as to how certain you seem. I'm always looking for more info on these guys.

I understand, but you are just restating your opinion. I'm asking, can you show me where you are pulling that he has command issues and composure issues? Particularly confusing because Pomeranz has a pretty spotty history, particularly with pitch counts. His numbers look great this year, but check how many pitches he's had to throw and the fact that he's averaging less than 6 IP a start early on against not great teams (whereas McGuire is averaging just under 8 IP per start, also against not great teams).

I'm not knocking either of them too much, just curious as to how certain you seem. I'm always looking for more info on these guys.

This is the biggest thing keeping me from being a huge Pomeranz fan. His results have been fantastic, but at what cost? He was dynamite in the playoffs last year, too, but the thing that stuck out to me the most at the time was how many pitches he was throwing. When looking at him, I can't help but have worries about his being overworked twirling around in the back of my mind.

Maybe he'll be fine, but maybe not.

The composure issues are from instances like in the CWS last year where he fell appart on the mound under the pressure of college playoffs. The command issues I am referring to are just from numerous different reports and also in I believe it was his second outing this season he struggled with his command.

Personally, neither Pomeranz or McGuire are my favorite choices for the #3 pick this year, but between the 2 I like Pomeranz more. And I am pretty even on Sale and Pomeranz, but wouldn't choose those 2 over some of the prep arms.

Good question for you Stotle, is it too late for Matt Harvey to regain former prospect status(or very close to it, ie top 5 pick)? He had a great freshman season, horrible sophomore season, and is apparently having a good junior season.

The composure issues are from instances like in the CWS last year where he fell appart on the mound under the pressure of college playoffs. The command issues I am referring to are just from numerous different reports and also in I believe it was his second outing this season he struggled with his command.

Personally, neither Pomeranz or McGuire are my favorite choices for the #3 pick this year, but between the 2 I like Pomeranz more. And I am pretty even on Sale and Pomeranz, but wouldn't choose those 2 over some of the prep arms.

Good question for you Stotle, is it too late for Matt Harvey to regain former prospect status(or very close to it, ie top 5 pick)? He had a great freshman season, horrible sophomore season, and is apparently having a good junior season.

Not too late at all for Harvey -- he's definitely getting long looks right now and could jump all the way up the boards by June.

Not too late at all for Harvey -- he's definitely getting long looks right now and could jump all the way up the boards by June.

Speaking of players coming off a soph slump...

Hunter Morris is starting to put together a nice season for Auburn. You see him moving up?

Speaking of players coming off a soph slump...

Hunter Morris is starting to put together a nice season for Auburn. You see him moving up?

Just got done talking to someone about Morris. Re: moving-up, it depends on where he's starting. I had him at #50 on the preseason Top 300 at PnR and wouldn't move him any higher right now. His slash line is impressive righ now and he's hitting for power (8 HR in his first month of play), but the SO and BB rates are a bit troubling. If I remember, he's walking only about once every 19 PAs and is striking out about once every 5 PAs. He'll get a lot of award attention, but I wouldn't personally put him higher than 2nd round consideration until those rates improve some.

As an aside (and shameless plug) I was discussing him in reference to an article I have posting tonight reviewing 40 draft-eligible players in a "Stock Watch" format. 10 moving up, 10 falling, 10 holding and 10 to watch.

Just got done talking to someone about Morris... As an aside (and shameless plug) I was discussing him in reference to an article I have posting tonight reviewing 40 draft-eligible players in a "Stock Watch" format. 10 moving up, 10 falling, 10 holding and 10 to watch.

Heh. Always glad to oblige. :D

Morris has been putting up some good power numbers, and he had a spectacular weekend series against UGA. Obviously his bat fits better at 3B than at 1B. Unfortunately, his glove probably doesn't.

Archived