Cameron Coffey Expectations

EL_Coyote

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simple. Apart from remaining healthy and showing good velocity. What are reasonable expectations for Cameron Coffey this year? Please keep in mind 97 MPH on a fastball isn't all that reasonable.

Fastball MPH?

ERA ?

WHIP?

BB/9?

HR/9?

IP ?

My expectations are for him to be healthy, show similar velocity from before. If he peaked at 95 before, I expect to see atlast that. While I understand he is coming back from surgery, the velocity should be there, and the fact he is massively projectable, I am hoping for a bit more of a velocity spike, along with the development of his changeup further as well as his breaking pitch which I believe is a slider, but I may be mistaken. I really just wanna hear positive things, but I differ between expectations and hopes......

I think we should prepare to be slightly disappointed. First season back from TJ, his velocity may not be all the way back, and his endurance may not allow him to pitch deep into games. I'm as anxious as anyone to see what the O's have with Coffey, but the true test will probably have to wait. However the experience he gets this season may help him to move more quickly in 2011.

I think that he's been throwing for several months now, so maybe I'm overstating the difficulty of the rehab, but at this point I just want to see him stay healthy and keep his head above water statistically.

All I want / care about is for him to get through the year fully healthy and show at least flashes that his stuff is still in there.

While most guys coming back from TJ surgery get back on a mound within 12 mos or so, many take 2 years to fully regain their form.

So, in my mind, anything else from him this year is just gravy. Next year is the year I'll personally worry more about his numbers.

Coffey's not a guy who I expect to have a fastball sitting at 97...there's very few starters in the majors who do that. As long as he's comfortably in the 90s with good pitchability/secondary pitches, he'll be just fine.

Today is his 366th day since recieving his new ligament. With his old one, he was clocked at 95 mph lefthanded. If he is one of the guys who ticks upward post TJS, wow.

"It is unprecedented in the sense that there has never been a contract of this size given to someone who just had Tommy John surgery," said Martin in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "The Orioles gave it to him because they have gotten to know Cameron, because of his talent, and because they believe his work ethic will allow him to regain and even surpass his previous potential."
"I've changed my mechanics quite a bit. People say your mechanics can determine the health of your arm. I looked at a lot of video of healthy pitchers vs. injured pitchers.

"I tried to remold my mechanics to mirror pitchers who have had long and healthy careers. The coaching staff has backed me up on that and feels this is good for my arm.

"We have shortened my stride about four inches which will help me to use my legs a little more and take some stress off my arm. I should come back a healthy pitcher and one that is stronger and more durable. One that one day can pitch 200 innings in the Major Leagues.

"The mechanics I changed were more the way I draw my arm from my glove up to a pitching position. Before, when I pulled the ball from my glove my elbow would be above my shoulder. That put stress on the elbow and shoulder.

"Now I lead more with the ball and take my arm more toward second base and my elbow never gets above my shoulder. That keeps a lot of the stress off the shoulder. Throwing a baseball is such an unnatural motion to begin with.

"I was the one who decided to make these changes. I don't want another Tommy John surgery. I discovered that the success rate for a second surgery is around 10 percent where that rate is around 90 percent after the first surgery.

"I don't want to be a guy whose career is determined by health. If I don't make the Majors I want it to be that I am not good enough. I took the initiative and starting looking at my mechanics. I was doing a lot of things that were bad for the elbow.

"If you saw me throw before and now, you would still know it's me, just now it looks a lot cleaner."

Cameron Coffey has one live arm and maybe the highest ceiling of anyone in the organization

Today is his 366th day since recieving his new ligament. With his old one, he was clocked at 95 mph lefthanded. If he is one of the guys who ticks upward post TJS, wow.

And I believe that he was considered physically projectable as well. It's possible that his increase in velocity pre-injury was the last bump in speed we can expect from physical maturity, and fair enough if so. But if he finds another 2-3 MPH and can sit somewhere mid-90s with movement...

...well, as you say... WOW.

I think we should prepare to be slightly disappointed. First season back from TJ, his velocity may not be all the way back, and his endurance may not allow him to pitch deep into games. I'm as anxious as anyone to see what the O's have with Coffey, but the true test will probably have to wait. However the experience he gets this season may help him to move more quickly in 2011.

I think that he's been throwing for several months now, so maybe I'm overstating the difficulty of the rehab, but at this point I just want to see him stay healthy and keep his head above water statistically.

It's always useful to remember that the O's handle their minor leaguers very conservatively. Not many make it deep into games, particularly the ones fresh out of high school (with or w/o injuries).

Keep everything in perspective. Baseball is a game. I expect him to have fun. Be a hard worker, good teammate and leader. Learn and listen! Be a productive member of society. Respect his Mother, remember his sisters. Love DAD

It's always useful to remember that the O's handle their minor leaguers very conservatively. Not many make it deep into games, particularly the ones fresh out of high school (with or w/o injuries).

Both Jesse Beal and Vito Frabizio averaged nearly 6 IP per appearance for Bluefield, as did Angel Cespedes for the CGL team. I'm pretty sure that I remember both Beal and Frabizio pitching into the 7th inning several times last season.

However all three showed good control, and Beal was very good with just 8 BB in 74 innings, so they probably had good efficiency and low pitch counts per inning going for them.

In general, you're right, of course.

Keep everything in perspective. Baseball is a game. I expect him to have fun. Be a hard worker, good teammate and leader. Learn and listen! Be a productive member of society. Respect his Mother, remember his sisters. Love DAD

Excellent advice, all.

Both Jesse Beal and Vito Frabizio averaged nearly 6 IP per appearance for Bluefield, as did Angel Cespedes for the CGL team. I'm pretty sure that I remember both Beal and Frabizio pitching into the 7th inning several times last season.

However all three showed good control, and Beal was very good with just 8 BB in 74 innings, so they probably had good efficiency and low pitch counts per inning going for them.

In general, you're right, of course.

You're right. Beal averaged almost 6 IP/start last year. (13 starts, 74 IP)

Vito did too (12 starts, 70 IP).

Their stats are actually both pretty instructive. Frabizio has a good walk rate, and a K rate close to 9. Beal's K rate wasn't great, but his walk rate was tremendous.

It'll be really interesting to see if Coffey can be that efficient. He's expected to be a guy who can beat you with his stuff, whereas Frabizio and Beal both need to beat you with control, decent stuff and pitchability until their projection catches up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I could see a lot of our young pitchers not getting that many innings while they're learning to refine their mechanics and location.

Wow, what a superb post.

Excellent advice, all.
Wow, what a superb post.

Far be it from me to throw cold water on a post that clearly reflects a great perspective, but we need to be real too.

Baseball is a game and a profession. Merit matters most. People can work hard, be a good coworker, learn, listen, help society and respect their families in just about any profession. I want Coffey to do that, but if he does that with a 9.00 ERA, terrible control and poor mechanics, well, most of us won't be paying attention to his pink tribute on mother's day. :laughlol:

Archived