Which realignment would be most plausible?

PrivateO

What realignment plan would be most plausible?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What realignment plan would be most plausible?

• NFL style (add two teams, 4 divisions per league)
    • "Floating divisions" realignment plan
    • AL and NL (no divisions)
    • Keep the system as is
    • Other (please respond)

This poll is closed to new votes

Other.

Move NY and Boston to the NL East, move Florida and Washington to the AL East

Laughable. "Lets just create a fantasy perfect world where the Orioles can (maybe) win their division" Not to mention it would put Boston, Phil, NYM, NYY. and Atl in the same division. That's ridiculous.

Laughable. "Lets just create a fantasy perfect world where the Orioles can (maybe) win their division" Not to mention it would put Boston, Phil, NYM, NYY. and Atl in the same division. That's ridiculous.

Name 4 of the highest payrolls in MLB

Here let me help you

Yankmeees #1

Mets #2

Blow Sox #4

Phillies #7

Atlanta #11

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/salaries

Name 4 of the highest payrolls in MLB

Here let me help you

Yankmeees #1

Mets #2

Blow Sox #4

Phillies #7

Atlanta #11

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/salaries

I'm aware of their payrolls. What I'm saying is that it wouldn't happen. Bud Selig is not going to make a division of mid market teams out of the AL East. A Pipe dream my friend.

Swapping Wash/Atlanta with NYY/Tor would be interesting though. Although I think we'd see floating divisions or dissolution of divisions altogether before we see that.

I'm aware of their payrolls. What I'm saying is that it wouldn't happen. Bud Selig is not going to make a division of mid market teams out of the AL East. A Pipe dream my friend.

Swapping Wash/Atlanta with NYY/Tor would be interesting though. Although I think we'd see floating divisions or dissolution of divisions altogether before we see that.

LOL, like I ever expected it to be implemented. You will never ever see Boston and NYY not in the same division! NO WAY! PIPE DREAM my friend!

LOL, like I ever expected it to be implemented. You will never ever see Boston and NYY not in the same division! NO WAY! PIPE DREAM my friend!

The poll question was "which realignment plan is the most plausible". Forgive me for not understanding your posts' intent.

In ChaosLex's poll for if posters would want realignment, 56% would be for it, while 44% would be against it. This thread is part 2. (Mods, if this needs to be moved to MLB section, or combined with a thread, please do so.)

So let's say it happens. You are on Selig's committee, and you have been tasked to make a new format of leagues. (the above are possibilities)

You may either keep the same amount of teams or expand to 32. Which would you do? Which works best for Major League Baseball? Pros? Cons?

(If you have other ideas not listed, write them)

Poll to follow..

In the title you say plausible. Does that mean most likely to be implemented? Or do you mean our personal ideas for realignment?

I think whatever is least change is most likely.

But my choice of the moment is no divisions, two leagues, aligned geographically.

The only reason anybody is talking about realignment is because the two highest revenue teams in baseball are in one division so just break them up. Put the Yankees in one division, the Red Sox in another and mix the AL East and Central in some fashion. No need to move everybody else around.

The TV networks rely on the NYY vs RedSoxs for a significant amount of money. Does anybody have the ratings of the NYM vs. Yanks to compare to the NYY vs. Soxs? What if we swapped the NYY for the Phillies. Then the NYY and the NYM would play 18 times a year. I would have to believe those ratings would be very good and getting the Phillies vs the Soxs would also be very good. You also get the Phillies vs. the O's rivalry increased. Obviously for selfish reasons if only moving one team I would love NYY for the Nats, but I doubt that would happen.

However, the Yankees are the American League History, no way they move the Yankees out of the AL to the NL. Would never happen. Neither would they move the Red Soxs or Phillies. Those teams are too integral to their histories of AL vs. NL. The Blue Jays, Rays, Marlins, Braves, Mets, and Nats have less history with their respective leagues, but that doesn't help the NYY and Boston in the same division issue.

I think the most plausible solution is the two divisions and a balanced schedule in each league. That is the most fair way to decide who are the best teams and who deserves to be in the playoffs.

Mine is as PLAUSIBLE as many of the other far fetched ideas for realignment. Including your own!

Drungo brings up a good point. I took plausible to mean likely to occur under the current Selig regime. In that frame, both of our division swap ideas have about as much credence as Sidney Ponson for 2010 Cy Young. But under the realm of validity, there is nothing wrong with what you brought up. Sorry for the confusion.

In the title you say plausible. Does that mean most likely to be implemented? Or do you mean our personal ideas for realignment?

I think whatever is least change is most likely.

But my choice of the moment is no divisions, two leagues, aligned geographically.

Yes, I meant most likely possible...most likely implemented by MLB officials.

I do agree that the most "fair way" is probably a balanced schedule with 2 leagues and no divisions. However, knowing MLB, they will probably just keep the divisions for tradition's sake. It wouldn't mean anything, just merely a way for the casual fan to think they're team is doing OK. (i.e. In a division, they are 3rd, while in the league standings, they are 8th).

Archived