TT: Front Office changes coming: Stockstills to change positions

Tony-OH

Maybe it will be a Steinbrenner-esque transfer of power. Even though PA is not as vocal and public as George Steinbrenner, the shift from George to his son(s) was very smooth and slick.

I am wondering if this is what will happen provided that Angelos is preparing some form of exit strategy?

MSK

Well Tony said it would be a good thing, and John Angelos taking over is not a good thing by any means.

My guess would be Klentak is going to take on more of a role and promoted as VP of Baseball Operations preparing for MacPhail's exit after 2011 to be commissioner.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Front Office changes coming"

Conjecture is fun sometimes. However I don't think that Tony-OH would throw anyone in ownership under the bus like that.

Here- This is your Front Office. Who would you suspect?

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=bal

Also I don't think Tony-OH would cater to ownership. Just not disrespect it. I think someone already named who it is.

I wonder if they plan on restructuring their PR and marketing departments? Or maybe adding in some younger guys with some sabermetric analytical background.

I really hope the warehouse becomes a lot less gray-haired.

MSK

You bring up a good point with the bolded. I would be curious to know how the FO approaches this facet of the game.

The O's did hire Kiley McDaniel at the end of last year, and I believe that he has a SABREmetric background.

And we don't know who else may be anonymously toiling over spreadsheets in the back office.

Matt Klentak is the right age, but I don't know whether he has the background in analysis that other execs of his generation seem to have. Klentak is the key figure here, I think. He seems to be getting more responsibility, and I think he has MacPhail's ear.

"Front Office changes coming"

Conjecture is fun sometimes. However I don't think that Tony-OH would throw anyone in ownership under the bus like that.

Here- This is your Front Office. Who would you suspect?

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=bal

Also I don't think Tony-OH would cater to ownership. Just not disrespect it. I think someone already named who it is.

Ownership change is a whole other level above front office.

One or both of the Stockstills would be most likely, I think. Didn't we hear rumblings of a disconnect between the scouting side and the development guys? And international scouting has hardly been a paragon of excellence.

Still, my guess is Dave Stockstill (development). I think Scouting wins any argument between him and Joe Jordan and/or Lee MacPhail.

Elaborate.

I don't know much about John.

He runs the O's business side of things. And he was directly in charge of the Orioles ST fiasco and why they were in Lauderdale for so long.

SG would be a better person to ask and I'm sure he could tell you all about him.

He runs the O's business side of things. And he was directly in charge of the Orioles ST fiasco and why they were in Lauderdale for so long.

SG would be a better person to ask and I'm sure he could tell you all about him.

I don't know that it is fair to blame what happened in Lauderdale on anyone in particular. They had a deal with Lauderdale all worked out 2 or 3 years ago, and then the FAA threw a monkey wrench into the plan. That's not the fault of anyone on the Orioles. Anyway, the deal they ultimately did work out with Sarasota looks like it is spectacular, and there's no saying they could have worked out that same deal 2-3 years ago. Sometimes you have to be patient in negotiations to get the best possible deal. I'm not saying they couldn't have worked out a similar deal with some city a few years back, but it's not guaranteed that they could have. And this is a lot of money we are talking about.

Agreed. This is so vague it is not even worth speculating what changes are coming.

Frobby, I think that you may have hit on it in your Bordick thread when you highlighted this line from the article:

After experiencing a lack of fundamentals at the big league level in 2009, an organizational decision was made that things had to change from rookie level on up.

If the O's see the fundamentals problems of 2009 as an organization-wide development issue, that falls at the feet of the Director of Player Development.

Archived