Taillon Fires a No-Hitter with 19 K's

I have a hunch that before we get to mid-June, we'll start to regret that little spurt at the end of last season when the O's avoided losing 100 games.

I don't think so, ever since we knew the draft order, I haven't been incredibly worried about Taillon being drafted before our slot assuming Harper goes #1 of course. My feeling has a lot to do with their overall draft tendencies, even with the newer regime, they don't spend that type of money on preps. I noticed today over at Andy Seiler's site, mlbbonusbaby.com that on his most recent mock draft he is apparently feeling similarly to my above mentioned opinion. He says that he just doesn't see it happening(paraphrase). I hope he is right, otherwise, yes I personally will regret that last spurt of wins in 09, they don't mean very much today.....

Can someone explain why BAL is more likely than PIT to pay a hypothetical $6-7 million for Taillon?

I think the reasoning is something along the lines of Pitt won't because they don't like high priced high school arms as a philosophy. Baltimore is willing and the only reason they stayed away from doing so last year was because they didn't think any of the guys demanding big bonuses were better than the guys willing to go for slot. This year Taillon is better than the other arms, so he's worth spending the money on.

Is that reasoning accurate? I don't know.

I think the reasoning is something along the lines of Pitt won't because they don't like high priced high school arms as a philosophy. Baltimore is willing and the only reason they stayed away from doing so last year was because they didn't think any of the guys demanding big bonuses were better than the guys willing to go for slot. This year Taillon is better than the other arms, so he's worth spending the money on.

I sure hope so. The spread-the-wealth strategy last year was appropriate... last year. This year, if they have to choose, I hope they go with the expensive mega-talent. There's always room for one like that.

Okay, but to be clear that was conjecture as far as last year goes. Jordan stated he took Hobgood because he was the highest on the board. I don't see any recent evidence of BAL being willing to spend $6-7 million on a HS arm. I mean, it's possible. But I don't see there being evidence that BAL is any more likely to do this than PIT.

Personally, I would not get my hopes up but would pleasantly surprised if they did make a move at a Taillon or a Harper.

Okay, but to be clear that was conjecture as far as last year goes. Jordan stated he took Hobgood because he was the highest on the board. I don't see any recent evidence of BAL being willing to spend $6-7 million on a HS arm. I mean, it's possible. But I don't see there being evidence that BAL is any more likely to do this than PIT.

Personally, I would not get my hopes up but would pleasantly surprised if they did make a move at a Taillon or a Harper.

One thing I could ask about Jordan saying that Hobgood was at the top of the board - do we know how they construct their board? Are they excluding anyone, or downgrading them due to signability? If so, saying that Hobgood was higher on their board than Wheeler/Turner/Matzek doesn't necessarily mean Jordan thought Hobgood was the best pitcher. I think it's all conjecture, and it's easy to twist the quotes and whatnot to support your personal stance because there's so much that his hidden from us, the fans.

As for this year, I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan selected Taillon OR passed on him. And I think the result could lend more credibility to one side's stance on the Hobgood debate. "Credibility" might be too strong, as, barring a very revealing quote from Jordan & Co., it would all still be conjecture. But it could add more ammo to one side.

One thing I could ask about Jordan saying that Hobgood was at the top of the board - do we know how they construct their board? Are they excluding anyone, or downgrading them due to signability? If so, saying that Hobgood was higher on their board than Wheeler/Turner/Matzek doesn't necessarily mean Jordan thought Hobgood was the best pitcher. I think it's all conjecture, and it's easy to twist the quotes and whatnot to support your personal stance because there's so much that his hidden from us, the fans.

As for this year, I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan selected Taillon OR passed on him. And I think the result could lend more credibility to one side's stance on the Hobgood debate. "Credibility" might be too strong, as, barring a very revealing quote from Jordan & Co., it would all still be conjecture. But it could add more ammo to one side.

This post seems very reasonable to me. My personal thought right now is that a college arm is most likely for BAL.

Just based on Dr. Shorebird's tease, I'm assuming we're looking closely at Taillon and/or Harper.

If you mean his tease from early this month, it referred to an interview in Doc's March 3 report in which Jordan said that they would draft the BPA on the board. He did also say that (as of early March) they had three players at the top of the board and "five or six" candidates who could end up going at No. 3.

I assume that Harper and Tailon are among those top three.

Awesome performance. Kyle Drabek went to that HS too? Must be a hotbed for baseball talent.

Good news is, any way you cut it...we'll come away with some good talent at 3 this year. Harper, Taillon, Ranaudo...any one (or some others that aren't on our radar yet) could be there depending on how thing shake out.

Archived