Melvin Mora Bunts for the win!

SilentJames

Whether you hate the Red Sox, Yankees, or whoever...The bottom line is that tonight was a GREAT win for the Orioles. The Sox and Yankees both get to play on next week, so they'll be fine..Let's all enjoy this win, at least for a few hours.

I am enjoying the AROD and Markakis stat lines from tonight. ;):D

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys, let's not forget that a lot can change over the next year in terms of draft picks and who is highly rated.

Alvarez could always blow out a knee or hurt something else, so you are right. I think we just want the best chance for the Orioles to get the best talent and now that baseball is awash in cash signability is no longer an issue when it comes to draft order for most teams. They'll take the best player, thererfore we need the opportunity to draft ahead of teams as much as possible so we get the shot at the player we want.

Great post...

About Jeffrey Maier, yes, he did scar me. Let me tell you why, I was in college during the 1996 ALCS, in upstate NY watching the game with a campus full of Yankees fans. I was one of the few Baltimoreans at Ithaca College, and let me tell you, things looked great for the Orioles until that moment. And for the next month, I had to hear how the Orioles blew it because of some little bastard punk.

A few years later, I went to grad school at Boston University, and I learned that Red Sox fans are a bunch of bigoted lemmings. I don't like the Yankees and never will, and I REALLY hate the Red Sox and their fans, but don't ever think that Yankees fans are somehow less annoying. They are jerks too, try wearing an Orioles shirt in the upper decks (read blue collar) section of Yankees Stadium and tell me that those guys aren't jackasses as well.

Many people hate the Yanks because the media, umpires and bandwagoners fawn over them no matter how poorly they play and make excuses when they don't do well. Its never the other team being better, its because the Yankees didn't play well.

UGH.

MSK

Good post....We all know that Maier didn't cost us the series. We lost all three games at home pretty handily. Anyone that blames the kid really didn't watch the series. The home run tied the game and we had 4 innings to score and didn't.

Both teams fans can be jackasses, but unfortunately so can everyones. After the Yankees swept us last week, there was a 17 page thread about how "The Umpires screwed over the Orioles, and favor the Yankees"...As ridiculous as that was, people found it easier to not credit the Yankees for being good and not blame the Orioles for being awful.

You keep calling me names and I'll make sure you're banned from the board.

Check the rules there, buddy.

:rolleyes:

You called me "tough guy" and also belittled tons of posters with your "mentality" and "oriole fan in quotes stmt.

Go cry to the board monitors. If they kick me out at least I stood up to some miserable so-called O's fan who doesn't understand that its ok for O's fans to enjoy a great win like this and it doesn't mean enjoying this win equates to being pro Red Sox or anti Oriole draft order mongrol.

Alvarez could always blow out a knee or hurt something else, so you are right. I think we just want the best chance for the Orioles to get the best talent and now that baseball is awash in cash signability is no longer an issue when it comes to draft order for most teams. They'll take the best player, thererfore we need the opportunity to draft ahead of teams as much as possible so we get the shot at the player we want.

I agree with you but a win like tonight is the reason you are a fan.

Guys, let's not forget that a lot can change over the next year in terms of draft picks and who is highly rated.

What does that matter in terms of this argument? Yes, individual players shift in value, but what doesn't change is the value of your pick. If Alvarez isn't even on the draft radar next year, then so be it; I'd still want whoever the best-rated pick is.

The best we can hope for is if Alvarez or Smoak or whoever the best college bats are come the draft sign with Boras, cause I'm guessing they'd both get picked before us otherwise.

I don't like the Yankees and never will, and I REALLY hate the Red Sox and their fans, but don't ever think that Yankees fans are somehow less annoying. They are jerks too, try wearing an Orioles shirt in the upper decks (read blue collar) section of Yankees Stadium and tell me that those guys aren't jackasses as well.

They both are annoying but if I have to choose between them I'll take the Yankee fans. At least they have something to boast about...

It's really sad that a few of us are taking this position with the draft order being more important than the Orioles winning, against the Yankees no less. But after 10 losing season it seems the draft and the offseason are the only reasons to get excited about this team anymore. If it came down to Matt Wieters player and a Brandon Snyder player and the Wieters player was taken ahead of us because we swept the Yankees, I'm sure many fans would be thinking what some of us are feeling right now. Let's just hope that these wins are indeed positive and that we will be able to draft another Wieters type talent if not better next year...

As soon as you buy and wear a pink Red Sox hat I'll do just that... :)

To tell you the truth I always root for the Sux over the Yankees. But that's because I remember the old Yankee teams of Mantle and Ford etc. who always won everything and just got in the habit of hating them. The Sux have been losers to the Yankees as much as the O's over that period if not more. Besides I can't stand Jeter's smirk or his gilt glove, or Miss Pay Rod and her purse.

They both are annoying but if I have to choose between them I'll take the Yankee fans. At least they have something to boast about...

For me it's about the players...I think classy guys like Jeter, Rivera, Posada, and Torre make them far more appealing than jerks like Schilling and Beckett.

What does that matter in terms of this argument? Yes, individual players shift in value, but what doesn't change is the value of your pick. If Alvarez isn't even on the draft radar next year, then so be it; I'd still want whoever the best-rated pick is.

The best we can hope for is if Alvarez or Smoak or whoever the best college bats are come the draft sign with Boras, cause I'm guessing they'd both get picked before us otherwise.

Because people are saying we have lost out on Alvarez, Smoak or Crow.

All i am saying is that we have no idea who we lost out on.

Trust me, i want the highest position we can get but i am just saying that worrying about a certain player right now may not matter later.

My tune won't change regardless of what happens later. I enjoyed a fun game tonight. No more, no less. The draft will end up being what it will end up being. Trying to "time" the draft is like trying to time the lottery or stock market. It is a silly, pointless exercise. Alvarez could go 1st, 2nd, 5th, 10th, or in the third round (if he were to get injured or something). The top pick could become a hall of famer or get injured and never see a day in the majors.

By the way, you have completely missed the point of my post. No matter how you feel about our draft position and whether the team should try to lose or not, that wasn't point of this thread. It has been the point of many, many other threads over the past month. The point of this thread was for the people who wanted to celebrate tonight's victory as a standalone event. Nobody even mentioned it in the context of the bigger issue until people like you brought it into the thread. Your goal was to ruin the brief happiness that some people were feeling with your agenda. That is your right, but it is akin to walking up to a group of people who appear to be having fun while playing a game of risk and kicking the board across the floor because your girlfriend broke up with you. If you're not happy, nobody should be happy.

Have a nice evening

Gotta agree with VaTech here.

You called me "tough guy" and also belittled tons of posters with your "mentality" and "oriole fan in quotes stmt.

Go cry to the board monitors. If they kick me out at least I stood up to some miserable so-called O's fan who doesn't understand that its ok for O's fans to enjoy a great win like this and it doesn't mean enjoying this win equates to being pro Red Sox or anti Oriole draft order mongrol.

Quit stretching everyone's words. This was a good win, I was just responding to the people who found some value in the Sox taking the division over the Yankees.

I was expressing an opinion. You went on the attack with 'Tomkingsize Sux' and calling me a 'moron'.

What a great way to show your intellect.

Archived