Christian Colon

I see that he is now at .301/.409/.559 with six HR in 22 games.

I know that he was off to a slow start, but how slow? Does this represent a significant uptick?

He's fine. His timing was a little off earlier on, but he's been squaring-up consistently for the last three weeks. He was never really in a rutt, or anything. His strikezone command has been elite all year.

Keep in mind he essentially missed all significant practice time with CSFU in the Fall/Winter.

he could sneak back into my list of candidates with our top pick. But he'd have to look very solid defensively at short...

If he started as a possibility at the start of the season, what has changed your mind? Just curious -- I haven't seen any "new" issues this year.

If he started as a possibility at the start of the season, what has changed your mind? Just curious -- I haven't seen any "new" issues this year.

He's always been just past the fringe at #3 for me. Just a couple other guys I wouldn't put him ahead of, but then again, I'm pretty much ignoring cost.

I've read that Colon sticking at SS is not a slam dunk. What does his bat project to be as a professional? Also, any opinions on him sticking at SS?

Fringe after what I saw this summer. Really excellent hands and excellent actions -- he just doesn't cover a lot of ground. He's able to both slide and dive and can make the throws from different angles, but he just doesn't cover a ton of ground. Pro coaching can make a huge impact on defense -- but Colon could be heavily dependent on reads off the bat and positioning before a pitch. I think he ultimately shifts to second where that extra step won't kill him. Could still be very valuable there. And hey, maybe he does show enough to be an average defensive shortstop.

Not a pro scout, but my personal opinion is he can be a legit top of the order bat. Really commands the zone well and is quick to the ball. Squares well and is even showing a little bit of pop this spring. I currently have him 55 hit and 45 power, which puts him in the high 200s for avg and high-single to low-double-digits for homeruns. Similar to Brian Roberts without the steals? The HRs could also end-up more doubles -- tough to tell for me, to be honest -- he seems like a tweener (probably why I am not a pro :P).

Fringe after what I saw this summer. Really excellent hands and excellent actions -- he just doesn't cover a lot of ground. He's able to both slide and dive and can make the throws from different angles, but he just doesn't cover a ton of ground. Pro coaching can make a huge impact on defense -- but Colon could be heavily dependent on reads off the bat and positioning before a pitch. I think he ultimately shifts to second where that extra step won't kill him. Could still be very valuable there. And hey, maybe he does show enough to be an average defensive shortstop.

Not a pro scout, but my personal opinion is he can be a legit top of the order bat. Really commands the zone well and is quick to the ball. Squares well and is even showing a little bit of pop this spring. I currently have him 55 hit and 45 power, which puts him in the high 200s for avg and high-single to low-double-digits for homeruns. Similar to Brian Roberts without the steals? The HRs could also end-up more doubles -- tough to tell for me, to be honest -- he seems like a tweener (probably why I am not a pro :P).

I looked at some of the Youtube video of Colon last night for the first time. He seemed to have a somewhat longer swing than I would've expected. And the stance drives me to distraction, constant motion and twitchy left leg. But that's just me.

I looked at some of the Youtube video of Colon last night for the first time. He seemed to have a somewhat longer swing than I would've expected. And the stance drives me to distraction, constant motion and twitchy left leg. But that's just me.

Starts with his weight a little forward (which is what I think you're describing with the "twitchy left leg" comment), but loads to balance is under control with his stride and swing, no?

Starts with his weight a little forward (which is what I think you're describing with the "twitchy left leg" comment), but loads to balance is under control with his stride and swing, no?

Yes in the few swings I have seen, he actually seems to take weight on and off that front leg as he waits for the pitch, but it's all under control when it matters. I still think the swing is a bit long though.

For me, a quiet, stable, straightaway stance gives a hitter the easiest path to having a balanced swing with good timing on the load transfer. And I think that when swings start to go wrong, they're easier to diagnose when you start with quiet and stable. Obviously many players have been successful with quirky, jumpy, weird stances, and by the time you get to Colon's level you probably wouldn't want to change something that works.

Yes in the few swings I have seen, he actually seems to take weight on and off that front leg as he waits for the pitch, but it's all under control when it matters. I still think the swing is a bit long though.

For me, a quiet, stable, straightaway stance gives a hitter the easiest path to having a balanced swing with good timing on the load transfer. And I think that when swings start to go wrong, they're easier to diagnose when you start with quiet and stable. Obviously many players have been successful with quirky, jumpy, weird stances, and by the time you get to Colon's level you probably wouldn't want to change something that works.

I agree simple is always best. So long as a player is clean to load and through contact, I'm generally indifferent as to how they set-up. Different players utilize "reminders" and timing ticks to help drive home some hitting concepts -- as long as it doesn't interfere with that load-through-contact zone, so be it. :)

I know you know all of this, of course. Obvious from your knowledgeable comments on the swing. Just making convo.

wow. 3 more hits tonight, including his 9th home run.

I think his bat plays at the MLB level. I suspect he ends up at 2B, where his offense will be a plus. It would be nice if he could stick at short. Scouts are divided whether he can.

Hard to imagine taking a plus 2b at #3 overall though...

He would be a slot signing, for sure. No way he's the third best talent in the draft -- as a 2B or as a SS. At the same time, plenty around these parts have stated they're fine with not taking the absolute best overall talent and spending money later. Shrug.

Back to Colon, glad the balls are falling in. He was getting a fair amount of unfair criticism early this year from folks looking at nothing but boxscores.

Knowing what we know now on how the draft went down. Do you think it would have been a better idea to draft Grant Green? We would be alot closer to having an option at SS for next year? How deos he compare to Colon in terms of projectability at SS?

Knowing what we know now on how the draft went down. Do you think it would have been a better idea to draft Grant Green? We would be alot closer to having an option at SS for next year? How deos he compare to Colon in terms of projectability at SS?

In my opinion, better arm, better range (but a bit inconsistent and range could lessen over time), less consistency in his hands. I think Green has a better chance to stay at SS, but still isn't a sure-thing lock.

Archived