Christian Colon

Just to note, in the eight days since I made the original post, Colon has played in five games (including games against UC Davis and UCLA), raising season numbers from:

.301/.409/.559 6 HR in 22 games

to:

.327/.429/.611 8 HR in 27 games

Nice.

Who woulda thunk people could have been overreacting to his March stat line....:)

He would be a slot signing, for sure. No way he's the third best talent in the draft -- as a 2B or as a SS. At the same time, plenty around these parts have stated they're fine with not taking the absolute best overall talent and spending money later. Shrug.

Back to Colon, glad the balls are falling in. He was getting a fair amount of unfair criticism early this year from folks looking at nothing but boxscores.

If 1/2 is Harper/Taillon and the O's feel like 3-10 are similar talent (and choose signability) we could definitely do worse than Colon. I'm sure we'd all like to see them spend for talent top to bottom, but you never know with them. I definitely wouldn't be as down on the decision as I initially was with Hobgood.

Considering BRob's age and recent injuries (bad backs don't just go away), getting a SS talent that might fare better at 2B wouldn't be a bad pick. As much as SS is a hole, we don't have much at 2B after Roberts either.

If 1/2 is Harper/Taillon and the O's feel like 3-10 are similar talent (and choose signability) we could definitely do worse than Colon. I'm sure we'd all like to see them spend for talent top to bottom, but you never know with them. I definitely wouldn't be as down on the decision as I initially was with Hobgood.

Considering BRob's age and recent injuries (bad backs don't just go away), getting a SS talent that might fare better at 2B wouldn't be a bad pick. As much as SS is a hole, we don't have much at 2B after Roberts either.

I just am not convinced Colon is necessarily in the same tier as the pitchers there. I haven't lined-up everyone for my next Top 300, but I expect Colon will be in the 10 - 15 range, with four or so college arms and four or so prep arms ahead of him. I'd feel better about Colon if BAL had a 2nd round pick, but I don't think I'd want him to be necessarily be the building block for the draft class picking 3 overall.

So my question is how does Colon compare to Grant Green who was viewed as a top 5 pick until he had a slow start to his college season. From what I've read he is a good defender who should have the glove to stick at short, but does not have great range but relies on good positioning. I've read he has a good bat, but may profile at 2B or 3B.

So my question is how does Colon compare to Grant Green who was viewed as a top 5 pick until he had a slow start to his college season. From what I've read he is a good defender who should have the glove to stick at short, but does not have great range but relies on good positioning. I've read he has a good bat, but may profile at 2B or 3B.

Def. not a 3B. Doesn't have the arm or the power. Has a shot to stick at SS, but most likely a 2B. Green has a good shot (range/arm) to be a long term SS and power power potential. Colon has a better approach at the plate.

Def. not a 3B. Doesn't have the arm or the power. Has a shot to stick at SS, but most likely a 2B. Green has a good shot (range/arm) to be a long term SS and power power potential. Colon has a better approach at the plate.

Stotle, who does he compare to, Chase Utley? Do you think he warrants a # 3 pick?

Stotle, who does he compare to, Chase Utley? Do you think he warrants a # 3 pick?

Utley has more power. The same, COlon has flashed some pop this spring and I guess it's not out of the realm that he could develop along those lines (but I'd think that would be a 5% ceiling, or something along those lines).

He seems like a pretty safe bet to provide Orlando Hudson-type value, though I think he can find his groove a bit earlier (Hudson didn't really take-off until age 28). I guess that's what I'd use as my "target", but there is upside in a couple different directions (on-base skillset along Brian Roberts track or some more power along the Utley/Phillips track).

He's a great skillset, a leader and someone you'd love to have in your system. I think you could make a case for him at #3 but part of it would likely have to be avoiding $$. I am still lining up my Top 300, but my guess is he ends up in the 9-14 range. Of course, lining-up talent doesn't really have all that much to do with the order in which the players are ultimately picked.

Utley has more power. The same, COlon has flashed some pop this spring and I guess it's not out of the realm that he could develop along those lines (but I'd think that would be a 5% ceiling, or something along those lines).

He seems like a pretty safe bet to provide Orlando Hudson-type value, though I think he can find his groove a bit earlier (Hudson didn't really take-off until age 28). I guess that's what I'd use as my "target", but there is upside in a couple different directions (on-base skillset along Brian Roberts track or some more power along the Utley/Phillips track).

He's a great skillset, a leader and someone you'd love to have in your system. I think you could make a case for him at #3 but part of it would likely have to be avoiding $$. I am still lining up my Top 300, but my guess is he ends up in the 9-14 range. Of course, lining-up talent doesn't really have all that much to do with the order in which the players are ultimately picked.

Thanks Stotle appreciate the insight!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Is he really a SS option if you think it's likely he moves to 2B? Doesn't that make him most likely a 2B option? :)

He has a chance at SS, and I think he'll get a shot there. Might fit best at 2B, long term. Range/arm profile better at 2B, but how many times have we seen players make-up for deficiencies by doing the little things?

How's that for a hedge? ;):)

He has a chance at SS, and I think he'll get a shot there. Might fit best at 2B, long term. Range/arm profile better at 2B, but how many times have we seen players make-up for deficiencies by doing the little things?

How's that for a hedge? ;):)

I like Colon, but not sure he's the right value and #3. I think he's going to be a solid major league player, just not a future all-star.

Archived