Jason Churchill's early top 5

Didn't see this posted, but Jason Churchill put up his early top 5 over the weekend on ESPN Insider. Attached is the link for those with access, but to sum it up. He has the O's taking Jameson Tallion, after Harper and McGuire.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=mlb_draft&id=5049538

That (Harper-McGuire-Taillon) is how I saw it as well, until I read more scouting reports that McGuire is not considered a true #1 type guy, but rather a solid middle-of-the-rotation guy. Regardless, he'll go high, but I am unsure at this time if he's going to go as high as top three.

The question is if the O's would put up the money for Taillon. I thought he was going to be seeking BIG money.

I'm hopeful that they will. If there is a marked improvement in our W/L record this season, we will likely not be drafting as high in the next draft and won't be shelling out the money necessary for a top 5 pick.

The question is if the O's would put up the money for Taillon. I thought he was going to be seeking BIG money.

I'm hopeful that they will. If there is a marked improvement in our W/L record this season, we will likely not be drafting as high in the next draft and won't be shelling out the money necessary for a top 5 pick.

Not to mention we could lose our pick if we sign a FA if we are right around .500

Not to mention we could lose our pick if we sign a FA if we are right around .500

Ooo, if we end up with an unprotected pick at, say #16, and they sign a type 'A' free agent, that player better make a big difference because next year's draft is loaded. It would be disappointing if we didn't get a piece of the pie.

I'm not worried about this happening, though... I'm just saying

That (Harper-McGuire-Taillon) is how I saw it as well, until I read more scouting reports that McGuire is not considered a true #1 type guy, but rather a solid middle-of-the-rotation guy. Regardless, he'll go high, but I am unsure at this time if he's going to go as high as top three.

But I'm not sure what college arm is there that loooks like a front-end starter and doesn't have at least a couple serious questions. McGuire seems to fit comfortably with Sale, Pomeranz, Ranaudo, Harvey, Workman, Wimmers, etc.

There just isn't a Price/Strasburg/Matusz in the 2010 Class. Even before the injury it was a stretch to think Ranaudo was a surefire front-ender.

Archived