Opening Day Reactions

isestrex

I think Atkins has to run in that situation. Based on how the ball came off the bat and where it was hit, it could have easily been a double play ball. Atkins does not have the advantage of knowing Longoria would bobble the ball, he has to run to force the defense to make a tag play, rather than turn two. If he stays at 3rd, there are 2 outs as opposed to 1st and 2nd with one out. I contend he made the right baseball play given the position of the infieldm the runners on base, number of outs and way the ball was hit.

Like was said ealier this game was not lost by that decision.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Runners LOB

That's all I have to say

Honestly, to see so many players choke so many times... They all share one thing in common: their hitting coach. As Earl Weaver once said: Terry Crowley is lucky he's in bleeping baseball. I may be in the minority, but I am not a fan. I think he's mediocre, at best.

I think Atkins has to run in that situation. Based on how the ball came off the bat and where it was hit, it could have easily been a double play ball. Atkins does not have the advantage of knowing Longoria would bobble the ball, he has to run to force the defense to make a tag play, rather than turn two. If he stays at 3rd, there are 2 outs as opposed to 1st and 2nd with one out. I contend he made the right baseball play given the position of the infieldm the runners on base, number of outs and way the ball was hit.

Like was said ealier this game was not lost by that decision.

If it's a DP ball, Atkins scores.

Not having a clean up hitter.

Atkins looks like a horrible signing and I think the Orioles know it.

On paper, Gonzalez looked like a good signing but I remember the criticms of Stotle and Crawdaddy about losing the 2nd rounder and perhaps that could be the nail in the coffin if he doesn't pan out. I hope he turns it around.

This lineup needs someone in the 4 hole and we had an entire season to address it. Sad.

What I am saying is that TB could have turned the dp if Atkins did not go on contact. To me the better option is to have 1st and 2nd with 1 out rather than man on 3rd with 3 outs.
What I am saying is that if Atkins waits for the throw io seconds he's got a shot to sore if they go for the DP. What the 3B would do, is hold the runner at 3B and go for the out at 1B.

Who exactly did you expect them to sign for that cleanup spot? It was a bad free agent year. Also, Wieters or Reimold should be that guy eventually.

Can't really say Atkins was a bad signing based on one game in which his one hit was a long double. Sayin', you might be right eventually, but it's 1 game. He had more hits than Brian Roberts.

Roberts probably isn't ready that is why. You cannot expect him to turn it on after not having a ST.

Who would I have signed? Not Atkins. I think Mike Aubrey would be the same if not better quite frankly. As far as the cleanup hitter, there were plenty of guys out there to sign but we decided not to spend the money on them.

At this point, I would seriously take a look at Dye or Cust. I don't think they are the answer, but they would improve our offense.

Sadly, Aubrey Huff should have been in kept if we weren't going to sign any big bats.

What I am saying is that if Atkins waits for the throw io seconds he's got a shot to sore if they go for the DP. What the 3B would do, is hold the runner at 3B and go for the out at 1B.

That works in little league, but with a slow runner like Atkins the 2B would throw him out at home after getting the force at 2nd. And the 3B does not have to hold the runner at third. The 3B already knows what to do with the ball based on what the runner at third has done. He has either run on contact, or he has not. If the runner at third did not break on contact, he is not scoring.

Pros-Cons

Pros

Kevin Millwood-Did exactly what we hoped for.

Adam Jones-Very nice start to the season.

Nick Markakis- Hey buddy where you been all spring? Good to see you back.

Luke Scott-BB + HR nice start for you!

Cesar Izturis-2 for 4 with one bunt and throw in a stolen base. Very nice.

Cons

Mike Gonzalez-Nowhere to go but up from here bro. You'll get plenty of chances.

Miguel Tejada-Wow! 0 for 5 and a ton LOB. What happened?

In conclusion: Yes, there are worse ways to lose your first game of the year and the positives far outweighed the negatives. The team gave up 13 hits but walked away only giving up 4 runs. Overall the pitching did it's job until the very end. Our young hitters fouled of pitches to stay alive and were productive. Let's all hope that Gonzalez shakes it off and rebounds nicely.

Horrible pitch calling selection in the 9th, seriously, they over-trusted and over-worked Gonzales fastball, i don't know if it was all wieters calling, but Gonzalez doesn't have a can't see me fastball, after the K i knew it would hunt us, he must work more with off-speed stuff, then get them out of balance with A OCCASIONAL fastball. Just my opinion.

I'm surprised everyone is holding Atkins accountable for this loss. A few people predicted he'd be the new whipping boy and that certainly seems to have come true.

He had a terrific first AB (8 pitches) as well as a double and a couple terrible AB's. That's baseball. I know that's a cliched phrase, but how can anyone look at Atkins based on this one day and decide that he's a bad signing? Look at Pie, if you had judged him based on April & May last year, he wouldn't be an Oriole right now!

I don't care what anyone says about other possibilities and questions like: "who would you have signed?" because all that really matters at this point are the results. If Atkins doesn't execute, he'll be replaced. LaRoche isn't our 1Bman and he isn't going to be (this year). Right now, Atkins has some room to succeed. There are no guarantees, but he didn't look like he had a slow bat or had lost the ability to square up on the ball. In fact, his hit at the time was pretty damn clutch!

I know a few people were ready to root against Atkins when he had a bad 1-pitch at bat, but Roberts and Tejada did the same thing in the first! In fact, Markakis (he of two BB's) had a two pitch at bat in the first.

People sound so blind to their own bias that it's hard to read all this pessimism about a player in an Oriole uniform. I mean, this isn't Sydney Ponson. This isn't Adam Eaton. Atkins has talent and he's not that old.

In a game of anticipation, you'd think there would be more patience from the fans!

I'm surprised everyone is holding Atkins accountable for this loss. A few people predicted he'd be the new whipping boy and that certainly seems to have come true.

He had a terrific first AB (8 pitches) as well as a double and a couple terrible AB's. That's baseball. I know that's a cliched phrase, but how can anyone look at Atkins based on this one day and decide that he's a bad signing? Look at Pie, if you had judged him based on April & May last year, he wouldn't be an Oriole right now!

I don't care what anyone says about other possibilities and questions like: "who would you have signed?" because all that really matters at this point are the results. If Atkins doesn't execute, he'll be replaced. LaRoche isn't our 1Bman and he isn't going to be (this year). Right now, Atkins has some room to succeed. There are no guarantees, but he didn't look like he had a slow bat or had lost the ability to square up on the ball. In fact, his hit at the time was pretty damn clutch!

I know a few people were ready to root against Atkins when he had a bad 1-pitch at bat, but Roberts and Tejada did the same thing in the first! In fact, Markakis (he of two BB's) had a two pitch at bat in the first.

People sound so blind to their own bias that it's hard to read all this pessimism about a player in an Oriole uniform. I mean, this isn't Sydney Ponson. This isn't Adam Eaton. Atkins has talent and he's not that old.

In a game of anticipation, you'd think there would be more patience from the fans!

I don't know that the loss is being placed upon Atkins shoulders. I think it's pretty obvious that folks know Mike Gonzalez blew it. Everyone is disappointed but no one is ready to run him out of town either. Also no one has given a pass to Miguel Tejada for stranding seven guys on base.

Most people here on the board were not opposed to Atkins being signed to play 3B as he was seen as a likely upgrade over 2009 Melvin Mora. When it was clear he was going to play 1B... That is when everyone's expression turned to Old#5fan's first prostate checkup...

Likely Garrett Atkins is going to return a below league average 1B offensive and defensive performance to the tune of $4.5 million. Everyone here wants to see him prove that wrong. However expectations aren't high. Basically he is one of those players that has to win fans over.

Horrible pitch calling selection in the 9th, seriously, they over-trusted and over-worked Gonzales fastball, i don't know if it was all wieters calling, but Gonzalez doesn't have a can't see me fastball, after the K i knew it would hunt us, he must work more with off-speed stuff, then get them out of balance with A OCCASIONAL fastball. Just my opinion.

The trouble wasn't pitch selection, it was that all the fastballs were up. Maybe MG was just pumped up, idk. Just hope he gets better.

Archived