Anybody Else Wonder Why DT Didn't Pinch Run For Atkins?

Old#5fan

Atlins leads off the 9th with a double and I immediately wondered where was the pinch runner for him?:confused: DT had Lugo he could have inserted and had he done so like virtually any other major league manager I know, he would at least put a bit of pressure on the infield by having much more speed than the slow footed Atkins. I thought DT's decision to have Atkins running on contact with the ball hit to third base was beyond stupid. Next to the closer, I blame Trembely for very poor in game decision making. :mad:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe a pinch runner would have helped (though Atkins is the team's best defensive 1B too) but even if Atkins had retreated back to third Longoria was right there to tag him out. It was just one of those horrible no-win situations for the O's. If that ball gets hit anywhere else it's a run. It's just a break that went against the O's. Not sure how you fault Trembley for that one unless you're just predisposed to faulting him for anything you can. In that case, why the hell did Trembley let his closer hang that fastball?

Maybe a pinch runner would have helped (though Atkins is the team's best defensive 1B too) but even if Atkins had retreated back to third Longoria was right there to tag him out. It was just one of those horrible no-win situations for the O's. If that ball gets hit anywhere else it's a run. It's just a break that went against the O's. Not sure how you fault Trembley for that one unless you're just predisposed to faulting him for anything you can. In that case, why the hell did Trembley let his closer hang that fastball?

I personally thought DT might not only have pinch run Lugo but maybe put the squeeze on with Roberts at the plate. I thought this due to the fact the Orioles were terrible all night with RISP and that is what managers do when they desparately need an insurance run in a tight game and have a good bunter at the plate (Roberts).

I like DT as a person, a speaker, and he does certain things really well. However, his in-game managing has a lot to be desired.

Atlins leads off the 9th with a double and I immediately wondered where was the pinch runner for him?:confused: DT had Lugo he could have inserted and had he done so like virtually any other major league manager I know, he would at least put a bit of pressure on the infield by having much more speed than the slow footed Atkins. I thought DT's decision to have Atkins running on contact with the ball hit to third base was beyond stupid. Next to the closer, I blame Trembely for very poor in game decision making. :mad:

The Orioles were 1-12 with runners in scoring position. That game should have been 6 or 7 to 2 in the ninth verses 3-2. The closer comes in and blows the game. We can try to pin this loss of Trembley and he could have pinch run for Atkins, but in the end this was a team loss.

Well, as it happened, Longoria bobbled the ball so he wouldn't have tagged Atkins. Of course Atkins had no way of anticipating that. And, as it happened, having a pinch runner for Atkins would have made no difference either--even Willy Taveras would have been out by a mile on that play.

But if Longoria was playing so close to the bag that he could have just tagged Atkins out on any ball hit right to him, then Samuel or DT should have shortened Atkins' lead. With no outs, there was no need to put Atkins in a position such that he was forced to make a suicide mission break for the plate on a ground ball hit to 3B.

I personally thought DT might not only have pinch run Lugo but maybe put the squeeze on with Roberts at the plate. I thought this due to the fact the Orioles were terrible all night with RISP and that is what managers do when they desparately need an insurance run in a tight game and have a good bunter at the plate (Roberts).

I like DT as a person, a speaker, and he does certain things really well. However, his in-game managing has a lot to be desired.

Roberts isn't a good bunter and Atkins isn't slow. I was surprised Atkins was going on contact.

Only two people make it home there. Superman, and The Flash. Neither of which play for the Orioles, and in reality, are fictional. Where the ball got hit, there was really nowhere to go. What he SHOULD have done was lowered his shoulder and tried to freight train instead of an outside slide with a slap tag. But, not unlike Richard Gere, HE HAD NOWHERE ELSE TO GO!

Trembley could have pinch ran for Atkins, but regardless of who the runner would have been on third they were going to be hung out to dry on that particular hit. My only problem on the play was why didn't Atkins bowl the catcher over? That weak little slide to the right of the catcher did not endear him to me, that's for sure.

I don't think anyone argues with the fact that anyone would have been thrown out at home. The issue is why would you have an average/slow runner take off on contact? I could see it if the ball were hit to short or second, but this happened right in front of him.

I don't think anyone argues with the fact that anyone would have been thrown out at home. The issue is why would you have an average/slow runner take off on contact? I could see it if the ball were hit to short or second, but this happened right in front of him.

If you watch the replay, he takes off, and looks back real fast. I think at this point, as a guy who has played the game for awhile, he knew he had two choices: break back to the bag and DEFINITELY be out or try for home and hope the defense does something wrong. But he should have dropped the shoulder and Ray Fosse'd Navarro, though. But he had nowhere to go where that ball was hit.

Look: two guys that have typically been rock-solid for us over the years had bad opening games (RE: Roberts and Tejada). Both had plenty of RBI chances, but they didn't cash in. That's baseball.

Trembley can't hit the ball for us. He can't pitch the ball for us. Thems the breaks.

Roberts isn't a good bunter and Atkins isn't slow. I was surprised Atkins was going on contact.

Wrong on both counts. Roberts can bunt very well, he just doesn't like to and although I am 55 years old and out of shape I could give Atkins a run for the money in the forty yard dash.

Why you are defending horrid in game management by Trembley is beyond me. He needs to improve or else be replaced. The horrid base running is now firmly the fault of Trembley if it continues this season.

Especially after Izturis was safe at first. With no outs, you give both Roberts and Jones a chance to score that runner.

Archived