Anybody Else Wonder Why DT Didn't Pinch Run For Atkins?

Old#5fan

Wrong on both counts. Roberts can bunt very well, he just doesn't like to and although I am 55 years old and out of shape I could give Atkins a run for the money in the forty yard dash.

Why you are defending horrid in game management by Trembley is beyond me. He needs to improve or else be replaced. The horrid base running is now firmly the fault of Trembley if it continues this season.

Because it's the worst kind of hindsight. Nobody in the majors beats out that throw. They can only hope that the defense makes a mistake.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Especially after Izturis was safe at first. With no outs, you give both Roberts and Jones a chance to score that runner.

As I, and others, have pointed out, the ball was hit to the exact WRONG place for any O's runner with Longoria playing in...up the line and behind the runner. Dead man's play results. You're out if you try going back (even without running on contact, you have a lead, you're out), so your best choice is to take off for home and hope the D makes a mistake (or try to start a rundown).

Because it's the worst kind of hindsight. Nobody in the majors beats out that throw. They can only hope that the defense makes a mistake.

I don't disagree. The DECISION to have him running on contact was beyond poor. That falls on DT. He should have been told to hold on any ball hit to third or first and only run on balls hit to short or second.

I don't understand why you don't bunt Roberts.

Men on 1st and 3rd nobody out worst case scenario he misses the bunt twice and is forced to swing away like he was doing anyway but if it drops in maybe Atkins scores or maybe he holds at 3rd but that would mean 2nd and 3rd for Jones who was 3-4 at that time with a 2B and a HR. Not to mention Roberts didn't look too comfortable at the plate last night.

So much for all this small ball I heard about in ST.

I thought I learned my listen before to try to correct him, but will not response to his post anymore.

I want DT fired more than anyone on here. I was surprised how close Longoria was to the bag for Roberts (he was the one that hit the ball right?).

As I, and others, have pointed out, the ball was hit to the exact WRONG place for any O's runner with Longoria playing in...up the line and behind the runner. Dead man's play results. You're out if you try going back (even without running on contact, you have a lead, you're out), so your best choice is to take off for home and hope the D makes a mistake (or try to start a rundown).

Are you saying it was too close to the line for him to get back? I'd have to look at a replay then. From memory, Longoria seemed to be to the right of the line far enough for Atkins to read the ball off the bat and make it back. But I'd have to revisit a replay. Regardless, the contact play shouldn't have been on in that situation.

I don't understand why you don't bunt Roberts.

Men on 1st and 3rd nobody out worst case scenario he misses the bunt twice and is forced to swing away like he was doing anyway but if it drops in maybe Atkins scores or maybe he holds at 3rd but that would mean 2nd and 3rd for Jones who was 3-4 at that time with a 2B and a HR. Not to mention Roberts didn't look too comfortable at the plate last night.

So much for all this small ball I heard about in ST.

Money post. I totally agree He wasn't swinging the bat well all game which to me would have made it a no brainer but not for DT. Sometimes he acts like he's scared of making Roberts mad. That's no way to manage.

Money post. I totally agree He wasn't swinging the bat well all game which to me would have made it a no brainer but not for DT. Sometimes he acts like he's scared of making Roberts mad. That's no way to manage.

A leadoff hitter who had 19 ST AB's and isn't looking good at the plate should never get mad that his manager wants him to bunt so they can have 2nd and 3rd for Adam Jones with one out. Roberts is a quick guy you never know maybe he beats it out and they have bases loaded nobody out for Adam.

The Orioles lost the game because the closer blew the save, and because there were several opportunities with men on base to add on some runs and they couldn't get them in. That is why we lost the game, it's a simple as that.

But since we're reaching for scapegoats, how about we blame Felix Pie? He only got a double instead of a home run. Maybe if he had lifted an extra day or two during the offseason he would have had enough strength to get that ball over the fence instead of barely missing.:rolleyes:

Trembley could have pinch ran for Atkins, but regardless of who the runner would have been on third they were going to be hung out to dry on that particular hit. My only problem on the play was why didn't Atkins bowl the catcher over? That weak little slide to the right of the catcher did not endear him to me, that's for sure.

This. It was a no-win situation. The only absolute killer in that situation is a line drive or sharply-ground ball directly at the 3B and that's exactly what happened.

I, too, was disappointed in Atkins. He had an opportunity to make a statement and basically rolled over. I'm sure someone will read this and suggest I'm making too much out of the play, but I'll elaborate:

A) The Rays are a division opponent and it would have been nice to set the tone as though, "We're not taking it lying down any more." At a minimum, it would do both teams (and their fans) some good to establish a heated rivalry, and a lowered shoulder on Opening Day could have served to ignite just that.

B) Atkins is new to the organization and it would have endeared him even if briefly to fans.

C) It's Major League Baseball, Atkins is 6'-3", 215 lbs, and had a 90' head-start. Advantage: Atkins.

Ok, can we not bash Trembley at least until the end of the first series. First off, you don't know for an absolute fact that he told Atkins to run on contact. Atkins might just have started to run on contact because as the Cobra pointed out "everyone is amped up on opening night". Maybe they didn't want him to, and maybe that's Trembley's fault for not better coaching, but the Orioles had the chance to win this game.

At the end of the day, that's the manager's job. To put a team in position to win if the players can execute what he asks them to do. No in game manager will ever be perfect. But don't you think that the same people would say Trembley was crazy if he tried a squeeze bunt there too. They'd say, "well it's our teams best hitter coming up with two more good guys behind him with a slow guy on third, what a horrible in game manager."

The Orioles lost 4-3 and had a solid, but not great night. Let's hang Trembley out to dry when we lose 30-3 not 4-3.

The Orioles lost the game because the closer blew the save, and because there were several opportunities with men on base to add on some runs and they couldn't get them in. That is why we lost the game, it's a simple as that.

But since we're reaching for scapegoats, how about we blame Felix Pie? He only got a double instead of a home run. Maybe if he had lifted an extra day or two during the offseason he would have had enough strength to get that ball over the fence instead of barely missing.:rolleyes:

So Trembley gets a pass for not pinch running for Atkins or trying to bunt Roberts? Not on my watch, sorry.:mad: Trembley needs to get it in gear and start managing like wins are all that matters instead of being Mr. Nice guy to his players (especially veterans like Roberts). He is going to Mr. Nice guy himself to the unemployment line.

Oh, c'mon...this is what we do...we break down the game after it's over. People are going to identify mistakes that were made. Sure, it's arguable as to exactly which mistakes were game-changing and which weren't, but if you view it in a general sense as reaching for scapegoats, then you're going to be awfully frustrated with the discussions here this season.

So Trembley gets a pass for not pinch running for Atkins or trying to bunt Roberts? Not on my watch, sorry.:mad: Trembley needs to get it in gear and start managing like wins are all that matters instead of being Mr. Nice guy to his players (especially veterans like Roberts). He is going to Mr. Nice guy himself to the unemployment line.

Usain Bolt wouldn't have scored on that play. And you have no idea what Trembley's relationship is like with his players, veteran or otherwise.

But please...don't let that stand in the way of a good ol' fashion Old#5Fan diatribe.

Archived