Anybody Else Wonder Why DT Didn't Pinch Run For Atkins?

Old#5fan

If you watch the replay, he takes off, and looks back real fast. I think at this point, as a guy who has played the game for awhile, he knew he had two choices: break back to the bag and DEFINITELY be out or try for home and hope the defense does something wrong. But he should have dropped the shoulder and Ray Fosse'd Navarro, though. But he had nowhere to go where that ball was hit.

Then he shouldn't have been taking such a big lead although no doubt he was doing so because he has below average speed. Again, this isn't Atkins I am faulting. He is a slow runner and should have been pinch run for to begin with.

This falls on DT for not pinch running Lugo who would not have had to take such a big lead to begin with and could have easily gotten back.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Usain Bolt wouldn't have scored on that play. And you have no idea what Trembley's relationship is like with his players, veteran or otherwise.

But please...don't let that stand in the way of a good ol' fashion Old#5Fan diatribe.

Of course Usain Bolt doesn't score, he would have slowed up and held his arms out for an easy tag...

Oh, c'mon...this is what we do...we break down the game after it's over. People are going to identify mistakes that were made. Sure, it's arguable as to exactly which mistakes were game-changing and which weren't, but if you view it in a general sense as reaching for scapegoats, then you're going to be awfully frustrated with the discussions here this season.

Oh I know how things work and believe me, if I look back at my own postgame reactions I've looked for my share. My view on this particular game, however, is that there were factors, ie the men left on base, that were the primary reason we lost this game.

So Trembley gets a pass for not pinch running for Atkins or trying to bunt Roberts? Not on my watch, sorry.:mad: Trembley needs to get it in gear and start managing like wins are all that matters instead of being Mr. Nice guy to his players (especially veterans like Roberts). He is going to Mr. Nice guy himself to the unemployment line.

Roberts needs to hit a fly ball in that situation. That's all. In a 3-2 game where you are winning, it's not wise to burn two position players (Lugo to run, Wigginton to 1st) in that situation. If it's a tie game and Atkins is on second with one out, then I would have pitch run for him.

If you were managing, you wouldn't have put Albers in during the 6th and both runners would have scored.

Then he shouldn't have been taking such a big lead although no doubt he was doing so because he has below average speed. Again, this isn't Atkins I am faulting. He is a slow runner and should have been pinch run for to begin with.

This falls on DT for not pinch running Lugo who would not have had to take such a big lead to begin with and could have easily gotten back.

Like I said...the worst kind of hindsight. You don't know how big a lead any other runner would have had. You don't know what their reaction would have been to that ball being hit there. YOU DON'T KNOW.

You wanna question DT on leaving Millwood out? That's different. But this is looking back on a play with PERFECT 20/20 vision and going "boy that was wrong" when just about everything about it went perfect for the Rays.

Money post. I totally agree He wasn't swinging the bat well all game which to me would have made it a no brainer but not for DT. Sometimes he acts like he's scared of making Roberts mad. That's no way to manage.

Care to provide any real, and factual evidence that this is actually the case?

If you watch the replay, he takes off, and looks back real fast. I think at this point, as a guy who has played the game for awhile, he knew he had two choices: break back to the bag and DEFINITELY be out or try for home and hope the defense does something wrong. But he should have dropped the shoulder and Ray Fosse'd Navarro, though. But he had nowhere to go where that ball was hit.

But the question is why was he running on contact?

Usain Bolt wouldn't have scored on that play. And you have no idea what Trembley's relationship is like with his players, veteran or otherwise.

But please...don't let that stand in the way of a good ol' fashion Old#5Fan diatribe.

Where have I said on any of my posts that anyone could have scored on the play? Here is what I am saying should have happened and the entire Atkins stupid base running play would not have occurred:

1. DT should have immediately pinch ran Lugo for Atkins.

2. Lugo would not have had to take such a big lead like Atkins did and could have easily gotten back to third and Longoria would have had to throw out Roberts at first.

3. Jones hard hit grounder that the second baseman hotdogged would have scored Lugo.

Instead because Trembley's a poor in-game manager and constantly has a team that is terrible running the bases rears its ugly head once again. I for one, and getting sick and tired of seeing this stupidity in our manager.

Oh I know how things work and believe me, if I look back at my own postgame reactions I've looked for my share. My view on this particular game, however, is that there were factors, ie the men left on base, that were the primary reason we lost this game.

You can strand men on base and still win a ball game, but if the closer blows it...well, right there's the problem. I personally feel this loss falls on the shoulders of Mike Gonzalez more than anyone else. He got himself into the jam that predicated walking the bases loaded, then left the fastball up for Crawford to hit the walk-off single.

Exactly. Its because DT doesn't know how to in-game manage very well.

Now you're ASSUMING he was told to run on contact and didn't make a mental error. That is why I said this is the worst kind of hindsight. There's way too many factors here. You keep saying Lugo doesn't have to take that lead..., maybe he's taking that big of a lead because he wants to, or maybe Lugo gets thrown out trying to steal second if he's pinch running, WHO KNOWS WHO KNOWS WHO KNOWS is the basic point I'm trying to get across here.

A LOT of things went wrong for the O's that play and a LOT of things went right for the Rays. Your second guessing of PR Atkins at that stage is waaaaaaaaaaay down on the "things that went wrong" and even then is more of a "might have been different...maybe...coulda been, mighta."

But the question is why was he running on contact?

Maybe it's because I'm not THAT far gone from playing the game myself, but I distinctly recall 3rd base coaches chirping, "Down in foul, back in fair, line drive freeze, ground ball this side go."

Turning around to get back to the back is too risky. The idea was always to make them make the play.

You can strand men on base and still win a ball game, but if the closer blows it...well, right there's the problem. I personally feel this loss falls on the shoulders of Mike Gonzalez more than anyone else. He got himself into the jam that predicated walking the bases loaded, then left the fastball up for Crawford to hit the walk-off single.

I agree.

Numero Uno blame for loss as follows:

1. Gonzales

2. Trembley not pinch running for Atkins and/or possibly squeeze bunting Roberts.

3. Orioles situational hitting.

Archived