Bloody Weekend for top ranked teams...

geschinger

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ridiculous that the coaches have FL ranked that high and over South Florida. I also don't like how far WVU dropped... Losing to a very good USF team on the road hurt them significantly more than UF losing at home against an unranked team.

When you win the national championship, you geta little bit of respect. Especially over a completely unproven team with no tradition.

When you win the national championship, you geta little bit of respect. Especially over a completely unproven team with no tradition.

That probably has something to do with it and is illustrative as to why coaches shouldn't be voting. They let reputation matter too much because they (or more likely their SID) don't have the time or inclination to focus on what teams across the nation are doing. I don't think anyone can deny there is a bias towards the bigger name programs.

Either way hopefully they'll be a lot of controversy again this year so that maybe at some point we'll get a playoff system.

But that's not really the point though. Florida, Oklahoma and WVU all lost yet the only one to drop from the top ten was WVU, who probably had the best loss out of the three. It's not a huge deal because the polls are basically a meaningless popularity contest, but there's definitely a bias towards the SEC and all of the big name schools like USC, OK, Ohio St, Michigan, ND, etc. These teams are always pushed down our throats as NC contenders no matter how good they really are.

That's because they're elite programs.;) But yeah, I agree that it's not fair.

That probably has something to do with it and is illustrative as to why coaches shouldn't be voting. They let reputation matter too much because they (or more likely their SID) don't have the time or inclination to focus on what teams across the nation are doing. I don't think anyone can deny there is a bias towards the bigger name programs.

Either way hopefully they'll be a lot of controversy again this year so that maybe at some point we'll get a playoff system.

Or even their receptionists, IIRC in that controversial news story from a couple years ago about the coaches poll.

And don't hold your breath on that playoff. The powers-that-be are more than happy with the popularity contest they have now and the cash it brings in. And too many of them are affraid to kill the goose laying all those golden eggs.......public opinion be damned. :mad:

Or even their receptionists' date=' IIRC in that controversial news story from a couple years ago about the coaches poll.

And don't hold your breath on that playoff. The powers-that-be are more than happy with the popularity contest they have now and the cash it brings in. And too many of them are affraid to kill the goose laying all those golden eggs.......public opinion be damned. :mad:[/quote']

Yep, I agree although I don't understand it. I would think a playoff would generate huge revenues.

They beat probably one good team in GT , and GT isn't exactly an amazing team either. The rest listed aren't exactly ranked or great teams. But we'll see how good BC is once they stop playing cupcakes and play a real team down in Blacksburg. USF I can understand (they beat Auburn and WVU) but BC has scheduled tons of cupcakes and ends up ranked that high?

PS : upon further schedule review it appears BC has Bowling Green and Notre Dame coming up before the big game at Lane , so they could come into Blacksburg undefeated. And VT has played very well at home this year (at least on defense)...it will be a very good game.

To be fair, by your logic, what makes Virginia Tech a "real team". Who have they beaten. Bill and Mary, Ohio?

To be fair, by your logic, what makes Virginia Tech a "real team". Who have they beaten. Bill and Mary, Ohio?

Yeah , VT hasn't been that impressive , but they aren't ranked 7th in the polls with their weak schedule (plus they did lose to #1 LSU). This reminds me of the time VT had as good as a start as BC my freshman year and was ranked extremely high despite playing nobody. However , that VT team actually blew people out and won by huge margins...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/01/sports/ncaafootball/01colleges.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

WINNER No. 7 Boston College. The Eagles have been rewarded despite seeming uninterested against Army and Massachusetts the past two weeks. Are they really better than Florida and Oklahoma? Their toughest remaining test is a Thursday night game at Virginia Tech on Oct. 25.

Sheesh...

10. BOSTON COLLEGE (5-0) Judge postpones top-10 trespassing trial until after Bowling Green. (12)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dufrank4oct04,1,6355887.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=8&cset=true

A lot of those games have been very close. Cal nearly avoided a loss to Oregon because the ball-carrier for Oregon fumbled , LSU is down to UF right now , and USC lost. In addition USF played very closely with Florida Atlantic until they finally pulled away. No one is safe , and this season has had a lot more upsets than I can remember. In the past I criticized college football for being too predictable , but parity is starting to take shape and more upsets are taking place. Parity is a good thing.

OMG STANFORD!!!

lower case letters

Man, I was watching this game on gamecast and trying to interview the soccer team over the phone at the same time! One of my friends is a freshman at Stanford now, but he doesn't care about football at all. I sent him like 3 crazy facebook messages anyway though :002_scool:

How do you give up 20 yards on 4th and 20?!? I can't wait to see that play.

Captain Comeback has done a heck of a job getting them ready to play today. While it was surprising that it was at home and Stanford that did it, it wasn't all that surprising that Booty was going to cost the Trojans. Now it'll be interesting to see how little or how far they drop. My guess is that it won't be far enough for losing to what was a home game against a 1-3 team.

Archived