Bucs president asked about Harper

SnakeWesker: If the Nationals pass on Bryce Harper in the Draft this June, will the Pirates take him?

Coonelly: SnakeWesker, that is a question that we have received often and, I am sure, we will continue to hear as we approach the June Draft. It is far too early to opine as to whether we will select Bryce Harper if he is still on the board when we select with the second pick. If Neal and Greg Smith believe that Harper is the best player on the board, then we will select him regardless of his representative. As a point of reference, no player, including Harper, is the type of certain No. 1 selection as Stephen Strasburg was last year. In fact, there is probably no player in the 2010 Draft who is as highly regarded as Dustin Ackley was when he was selected second by the Mariners last year.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100407&content_id=9127284&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

I say there's an excellent chance Harper falls to the O's in this year's MLB draft, provided of course that he's not selected by the Washington Natinals (sic). ;)

In fact, there is probably no player in the 2010 Draft who is as highly regarded as Dustin Ackley was when he was selected second by the Mariners last year.

I respectfully disagree. Where's the position value with Ackley? Where's the power? I'd rather have Taillon or Harper.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100407&content_id=9127284&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

I say there's an excellent chance Harper falls to the O's in this year's MLB draft, provided of course that he's not selected by the Washington Natinals (sic). ;)

Absolutely Killer Post Rep coming your way!

Now. The question is, was that politics of the game? Was it to let folks know not to get angry if they pass on him? or is it his way of clouding the looking glass?

This is why we really need Joe Jordan and Co. on top of their game!

Now. The question is, was that politics of the game? Was it to let folks know not to get angry if they pass on him? or is it his way of clouding the looking glass?

I suspect that he is preparing the masses for a letdown.

Thanks! :)

You bring up a good question. I wonder if there could be a little "smoke and mirrors" at play here...

I would not read much into this. Pretty vanilla "too early to tell" statement, mixed with the standard "we will take the top player on our board" without defining how players are being measured.

I imagine Harper's slot will be dictated by 1) how teams view the negotiating process will run, and 2) how much they believe in Harper the "player" (ability to learn, adjust, grow, be taught, etc.) and not just Harper the "talent".

I have a feeling that if the Nats and Bucs pass on Harper that the Orioles will pass too.

I actually hope Harper is gone before we pick, so I do not have to be disappointed if the O's don't select him as well.

On the other side pick Harper, make him a good but not spectacular offer and if he does not take it, pick again next year at pick #4 in a supposed to be very good draft class in 2011.

I have a feeling that if the Nats and Bucs pass on Harper that the Orioles will pass too.

I actually hope Harper is gone before we pick, so I do not have to be disappointed if the O's don't select him as well.

On the other side pick Harper, make him a good but not spectacular offer and if he does not take it, pick again next year at pick #4 in a supposed to be very good draft class in 2011.

Unfortunately, the Nats and Pirates may be thinking along these same lines.

Am I so wrong in thinking that the strategy of an idiot? Admittedly one year's draft class is often better than another. However, how do you know that talent remains as strong all the way through until June 2011?

Well I do not think in any way this is or should be the strategy of Jordan and his team when approaching the draft. I am just saying that the O's in case Harper is available should not shy away in regards to signability because if he asks for more than Strasburg they would still have 2011 to sign a top draft pick.

I would be hesitant to draft Harper without a pretty clear idea of the parameters of the signing bonus demands. This is not a pick we want to lose for a year.

We also have to understand Harper's demands relative to those of the other prospects.

Harper sounds like a premium hitter, but one must also realize the last few top HS hitters, Vitters, Moustakas, Hosmer, are not exactly setting the world on fire. Harper is his own case, of course.

Archived