Dave Trembley: Early Leader for Mis-manager of the Year.

ChesterPeake

I'm all for running once you see what the ball is, whether a GB or what. That's not running on contact. I think there were other options besides holding until the ball gets through.
Atkins didn't run on contact. He ran once he saw it was a grounder at anyone other than the pitcher.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're only two games into the season and Dave Trembley has already mis-managed 100% of the games. Some of you will tell me to lighten up, that it's only two games, but I plan to be all over Trembley's case this season because he has shown during his entire tenure that he is a bad enough manager to cause the O's to lose enough close games to take away the chance for our young players to experience being winners.

If we continue to be mis-manged and out-managed on a game-by-game basis, it's going to suck the life out of this team's morale and it's a damn shame.

I know we failed to plate RISP in game 1 and that we faced a dominant pitcher in game 2, but these were close games that could have been won. Why the heck was Atkins going on contact at 3B with 1 out in game 1? Why wasn't Luke in LF instead of Reimold in game 2? Why pitch to Longoria, of all people, with two on and 1B open in game 2? Etc., etc.

I'm convinced that we're never going to win big with Dave Trembley at the helm. The sooner he is gone, the better off we'll be.

See, the problem with posts like this is that it is there in public for all to see, and can give Oriole fans a bad name. Traditionally, Baltimore fans were known for being knowledgeable about baseball and loyal to their guys. But in this case, we see just the opposite: the OP doesn't even know why the guy on 3rd went on contact, and his big commitment is that he's gonna bash, bash, bash. Memo to the OP: why don't you spend less time whining and instead devote some of that time to learning something about the game? (I know the answer to that, but I'm gonna pretend I don't.)

ps: I can't believe how many people here don't know why Atkiins went on contact.

Atkins didn't run on contact. He ran once he saw it was a grounder at anyone other than the pitcher.

Atkins had to have been given a sign or told by Samuel via DT to take such a big lead and run on contact. He was a dead duck no matter what he did when the ball was hit to Longoria because of taking such a big lead. I don't fault him in the least. DT should be held accountable for not pinch running Lugo for him and making this dumb call. Sorry, I like DT as a person and he handles pitchers well and is very articulate but a poor in-game major league manager.

I agree Earl may have brought in a faster runner, but sending the player on third on ground contact is the right call.

Imagine if you saw a double play with Atkins standing on third and not moving at all. That is something that would have angered Mr. Weaver.

-Don

Earl wouldn't have done anything different. The only things he might have done involve substitutions that rarely happen today because of the breakdown between hitters and pitchers on the roster. Sure, Earl pinch-hit, ran, and fielded more than DT, but that's because Earl had nine pitchers on the roster. If DT had 16 position players to choose from he'd certainly manage differently than he does today.

And if Earl managed in 2010 he couldn't keep only nine pitchers. Nobody has fewer than 11.

If we're going to play hypercritize the manager and throw in a little "my favorite manager would have won this game", why don't we spin up a little revisionist history, too? The '82 Orioles were 9.5 games back with an 11-18 recored on May 12th. I think Trembley wouldn't have goofed around nearly as much, and he'd have had that team over .500. Just looking at that game on the 12th gives me chills. Bumbry with a .576 OPS leading off? Idiocy! Pulling Flanagan after six when he's rolling? Unbelievable! What kind of fool lets a guy close with a 7+ ERA?! All I can figure is that EBW put the hammer down on Earl after that game and got him to straighten up.

I don't think Trembley has mismanaged. Atkins had to break on the play. This would be a none issue if we hit better with RISP. The pitching staff has been managed fine. Trembley can't help if Gonzo blew a save. Gonzo is the closer for better or for worse. Albers pitched really well and no one mentioned that.

This is a joke right?

He hit a HR, a complete bomb, Tuesday night. He goes 0-4 against a zoned in stud pitcher and now he's in a funk?

Some of the overreacting being kicked around here can't just be lumped into the "its early" category. There is just a lot of downright dumb things being said.

I am not a big fan of Scott hitting fifth. I would rather Weiters would be hitting fifth. Scott is too streaky for my tastes. I meant for the year and not just for a few games.

Earl wouldn't have done anything different. The only things he might have done involve substitutions that rarely happen today because of the breakdown between hitters and pitchers on the roster. Sure, Earl pinch-hit, ran, and fielded more than DT, but that's because Earl had nine pitchers on the roster. If DT had 16 position players to choose from he'd certainly manage differently than he does today.

And if Earl managed in 2010 he couldn't keep only nine pitchers. Nobody has fewer than 11.

If we're going to play hypercritize the manager and throw in a little "my favorite manager would have won this game", why don't we spin up a little revisionist history, too? The '82 Orioles were 9.5 games back with an 11-18 recored on May 12th. I think Trembley wouldn't have goofed around nearly as much, and he'd have had that team over .500. Just looking at that game on the 12th gives me chills. Bumbry with a .576 OPS leading off? Idiocy! Pulling Flanagan after six when he's rolling? Unbelievable! What kind of fool lets a guy close with a 7+ ERA?! All I can figure is that EBW put the hammer down on Earl after that game and got him to straighten up.

But... but... but Good point. Earl had a bigger bench.

I still think he would pinch ran for Atkins.

None, unless a moderator kicks me off. The good news, for you, is that I don't post all that much.

Thank goodness. Posts like yours get real old, real fast.

First of all, running on contact from 3rd in that instance is situational running. That said, that's on the player more than the manager IMO anyway- as it's an instinctive play. A bit unlucky for sure.

Since when did Luke Scott become a speed demon with a gold glove in the outfield??? I'm scratching my head with all these folks saying Luke should have been in there. With regards to Reimold's injury concern, I agree- but only because of his injury. I assume he's fine however, if management decided to test him on the turf.

The pitching to Longoria. get over it. He and Pena had good splits against RHP. Trembley gave Guthrie an opportunity to get out of it- and with Pie in the outfield, I think he does. Whose to say if we walk Longoria, Guthrie gives up a HR to Pena? I, personally, think Guthrie pitches a bit more relaxed with a base open.

It must be SO nice to feel entitled to sit back and criticize at any given chance- but really- these just scream to me of ignorance. I signed back up for PLUS status because I need to be able to discuss and share in the success/failure of this club... I did so also hoping to be much more tolerant of viewpoints I disagree with.

However, having said that- just like you are "going to be all over Trembley this year," I think I'll be all over posts like this that scream overreaction and inflation of your baseball knowledge.

I'm sure we'd do better with you as the skip though.

Atkins had to have been given a sign or told by Samuel via DT to take such a big lead and run on contact. He was a dead duck no matter what he did when the ball was hit to Longoria because of taking such a big lead. I don't fault him in the least. DT should be held accountable for not pinch running Lugo for him and making this dumb call. Sorry, I like DT as a person and he handles pitchers well and is very articulate but a poor in-game major league manager.

I think you've said this about 9000 times. We get it. Here's what irritates me about posters like you, we take crap about your style all the time, but we let it slide, then I realize, this is why the guy annoys the crap out of people, he just reiterates his same opinion, over and over, and over in every thread going.

No matter how many times it's been proven that sending Atkins was a good baseball move (not the only move but solid baseball strategy), and that Atkins should have trucked the catcher instead of trying to slide around him like he weighed a buck fifty, you just keep throwing the blame on Trembley.

So you've brought up one situation, and one that clearly was a sound baseball decision, and you keep harping on it over and over and over.

Unless you have something different to add from a previous post in a thread, go ahead and assume we have heard that opinion already. Just please, please stop the posting the same opinion, over and over....

Benching Roberts would be a pretty poor decision, IMO.

Brian Roberts is 8 for 18 in his career against the Rays' starting pitcher today, Jeff Niemann. Roberts has 2 home runs and 4 doubles in those 18 career at bats against Niemann.

If Roberts was going to sit a game against the Rays, last night would have been a better choice. Roberts has a career .143 average against Matt Garza.

See, the problem with posts like this is that it is there in public for all to see, and can give Oriole fans a bad name. Traditionally, Baltimore fans were known for being knowledgeable about baseball and loyal to their guys. But in this case, we see just the opposite: the OP doesn't even know why the guy on 3rd went on contact, and his big commitment is that he's gonna bash, bash, bash. Memo to the OP: why don't you spend less time whining and instead devote some of that time to learning something about the game? (I know the answer to that, but I'm gonna pretend I don't.)

ps: I can't believe how many people here don't know why Atkiins went on contact.

How O's fans, as a group, are perceived by the general public is not my concern. Nevertheless, I doubt that my one thread will have much impact on that.

Loyal to the manager? How long? Until he gets fired? Most of them get fired, you know. No, I'm not loyal to Dave Trembley.

Dave Trembley is on a one-year contract. Based on that, it seems like McPhail isn't any more loyal to Trembley than I am. I want the same thing from Trembley that McPhail wants - good performance leading to more wins.

Archived