Treblehorn Dismissed; more changes to come

Crazysilver03

I won't miss his third base coaching, but he was a competent bench coach. I'm sure he'll land elsewhere, if he even really searches (with his wife's health).

Not trying to be a smarta**, but how could you or any fan possibly know this? There is no way any of us can evaluate his competency as a bench coach. Do you have any idea what his duties were as a bench coach and how to evaluate someone regarding those duties?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found this quote interesting:

It seems that Mazzone and Crowley could be on their way out as well.

I'm not sure if Trebelhorn was talking about the Orioles in that quote. I think he might've been saying that there will be a bunch of coaching changes around the major leagues in general, as there are every winter. I don't think he'd tell O's reporters to "watch the wire" if the moves involved the O's.

When a guy doesn't work with the bullpen and it becomes one of the worst in baseball after spending 42 million to fix it because it was one of the worst last year, he deserves to be a scapegoat. A pitching coach should work with all the pitchers, no matter how talented he may think they are. It's his job and he didn't do it.

Cite a source, please. I've personally witnessed the exact opposite, but I'm interested to know where this came from.

Orioles fired bench coach Tom Trebelhorn and first-base coach Sam Mejias.

The Orioles do plan to retain pitching coach Leo Mazzone, who said he hopes to stay in Baltimore after his contract expires in a year. Trebelhorn, a former Brewers and Cubs manager, might be finished coaching at age 60.

From Rotoworld. I had never heard these comments from Mazzone. Maybe he will end up sticking around but I really want to see Crowley gone.

Cite a source, please. I've personally witnessed the exact opposite, but I'm interested to know where this came from.

Who have you seen him work with exactly and for how long? Also how many times have you watched him work with the bullpen pitchers?

SG said it but look at it this way, do you really think Ellie Hendricks did that much for the bullpen pitchers during his tenure? Why hire a PC such as Dunn to be the bullpen coach? The answer IMO is they needed a PC to work with the bullpen pitchers. It makes sense when you hear SG say that Mazzone didn't work with the pen much.

SG said it but look at it this way, do you really think Ellie Hendricks did that much for the bullpen pitchers during his tenure? Why hire a PC such as Dunn to be the bullpen coach? The answer IMO is they needed a PC to work with the bullpen pitchers. It makes sense when you hear SG say that Mazzone didn't work with the pen much.

Dunn worked in the Cubs farm system, with MacPhail and Trembley. Dunn was hand picked by Trembley. I dont see the connection you are making.

From Rotoworld. I had never heard these comments from Mazzone. Maybe he will end up sticking around but I really want to see Crowley gone.

If they keep Mazzone, they'd better dump DCab for whatever they can get for him. Those two will not have success together...

Chris Ray and Danys Baez were expected to be integral parts of the bullpen this season as were Jeremy Guthrie and Brian Burres. John Parrish also appeared to have finally turned the corner this off-season. Injuries and a bizarre loss of command from Parrish shot those plans dead.

I'm not sure what an appropriate amount of time for a pitching coach to spend with the bullpen is, but I've personally seen him working with relievers almost every time I was at the ballpark this season.

Archived