Treblehorn Dismissed; more changes to come

Crazysilver03

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm getting a sense that Trembley seems to feel threatened by more experienced (Major League) coaches in general. Are you getting that sense as well? Has the power gone to his head a bit? I hope Mazzone does go but I think Treblehorn got a raw deal considering that he would have been ahead of Trembley in line for the job he got if his wife hadn't had a stroke.

Eh? He wants his own coaches. Remember he was a newcomer this year and these coaches aren't his coaches.

I do find it odd that they have already announced Dunn and Samuel back, but that Mazzone has said he wants to retire here and yet his fate will be decided at organizational meetings. I see him as GONE!

It seems from the new article that Moe Hill could be onboard. I would think he would be the 1B coach.

So now it is shaping up as:

Manager: Trembley

Bench Coach: ???

Pitching Coach: Mazzone or Dunn

Hitting Coach: ???

1B Coach: Moe Hill

3B Coach: Juan Samuel

Bullpen Coach: Dunn or ???

I say off with Crowley and Mazzone's heads. Nothing that impressive about Mazzone to me. I mean he is a good pitching coach no doubt, but he obviously hasn't helped Cabrera and his long history of fixing journeymen hasn't really showed itself. We threw some journeymen his way and they didn't look passable.

Yep the housecleaning begins. Mazzone and Crowley should also be given their walking papers...

Also Trebelhorn probably realizes had his wife's health been better that he would have been the manager instead of Trembley, so he's probably a little bitter. It's just the nature of the beast however.

I wonder if they'll bring in Surhoff and Bordick. I'd give Chris Hoiles a call as well...

Surhoff definitely. Hoiles sound interesting. How about Brady as 1st base coach. Release Bako so Brady can get his #9 back.

Well, I think Mazzone can conceivably write his own ticket in or out, unless Trembley just doesn't want him for whatever reason (which is completely possible). I'd think Crowley is a goner as well.

But I'd hope Trebs realizes that "organization change" is not a euphamism for "we don't have a reason" but a polite way of saying "we weren't winning with you, were we?"

Try to have a some heart:rolleyes: The poor man has been thru ALOT!

O.K. insiders, will Crowley be back? I can understand a delay in announcing Mazzone (big name, highest paid coach), but not the Crow.

Remember one thing....He was the hitting coach in Minnesota when MacPhail was there.

If DT wants him back, he will be back.

(this is opinion)

Try to have a some heart:rolleyes: The poor man has been thru ALOT!

It wasn't a personal attack. Treblehorn didn't do his job very well and that's not an unfair statement for anyone to make in response to his departure.

Criticizing him professionally doesn't equal attacking him personally. I think we all are aware of and admire him as a husband for putting his career aside to look after his ailing wife. I also think we all cringed everytime he whipped out the windmill in the third base coach's box.

Fair or unfair, this team needs to expunge anyone who's been at or near the big league level during all or a large portion of the Decade of Losing. Trebelhorn, Crowley, Flanagan...those are just a few names that come to mind. Whether they're culpable or not, whether it's fair or not...change.

Surhoff definitely. Hoiles sound interesting. How about Brady as 1st base coach. Release Bako so Brady can get his #9 back.

Nostalgia is a double-edged sword. I'm all for honoring these guys during pre-game ceremonies and video montages between innings. However, hanging on to guys like Rick Dempsey, extending Melvin Mora like they did, Angelos' threat to veto any trade involving Brian Roberts, giving Sam Perlozzo the manager's job, bringing Surhoff back the last time...they were all moves made by the club that probably had more to do with nostalgia than they did with being good, sound baseball decisions.

I'm getting a sense that Trembley seems to feel threatened by more experienced (Major League) coaches in general. Are you getting that sense as well?

No.

Let's not forget that there were rumors in 2006 of Orioles' FO personnel semi-joking with the Mets about an even-up trade of pitching coaches because of dissatisfaction with the two on their respective teams.

It could be that Mazzone's success in Atlanta has made him more difficult to deal with in a different environment. In any event, it hasn't all been peaches and cream with him.

Trebelhorn's been around for 12 years and is very experienced. But perhaps he has become inured to the losing.

I get a sense that Trembley wants people with more passion and urgency. He might want coaches with something to prove rather than coaches who think they've already proved it.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Trembley has been at odds with Trebelhorn. When a you and a guy go for the same job and then that guy becomes your boss, it's not a good relationship.

What job exactly did both of them "go for"? Trembley started out as the bullpen coach. He took over for Trebelhorn because of his wife's illness. Trebelhorn never seemed to be interested in being manager.

Also Trebelhorn probably realizes had his wife's health been better that he would have been the manager instead of Trembley, so he's probably a little bitter. It's just the nature of the beast however.

If you want to know how strange rumors get started, here's one. Absolutely no basis in fact or fantasy. Trebelhorn has shown no desire to be manager in his time here. Didn't even apply for the job post-Hargrove.

Archived