Treblehorn Dismissed; more changes to come

Crazysilver03

Anyone remember the huge debates last season on Mazzone and his impact many promised? Well unfortunately I think it's a good time to bring that up again. I'd like him back, but I can't say it would be devastating if he isn't retained.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone remember the huge debates last season on Mazzone and his impact many promised? Well unfortunately I think it's a good time to bring that up again. I'd like him back, but I can't say it would be devastating if he isn't retained.

He has done a lot for Bedard.

He has seemed to do something for Guthrie.

For some reason, it isn't working with DCab.

He was making a lot of progress with Loewen and i think Ray was better under Mazzone as well.

But i am noticing a pattern...It is the "name guys"..They are the ones he works with apparently...If he isn't working with the whole staff, then i don't see how you can keep him around.

It will be interesting to hear more about this over the next few weeks.

Personally, i would like him to stay.

He has done a lot for Bedard.

He has seemed to do something for Guthrie.

For some reason, it isn't working with DCab.

He was making a lot of progress with Loewen and i think Ray was better under Mazzone as well.

But i am noticing a pattern...It is the "name guys"..They are the ones he works with apparently...If he isn't working with the whole staff, then i don't see how you can keep him around.

It will be interesting to hear more about this over the next few weeks.

Personally, i would like him to stay.

Yeah, i basically agree with that, but he has been a disappointment, and the guys promising a big impact on ERA should admit they were wrong by now, they wanted the 2nd year, which was fine I suppose, but time's up. Not going to name names though.:D

I do understand that there have been a good amount of injuries, so it's not all his fault by any means. He's just not the saviour many proclaimed him to be. I did think he would make more of a positive impact on the O's, and was a great signing, just didn't buy into him quite as much as others.

Yeah, i basically agree with that, but he has been a disappointment, and the guys promising a big impact on ERA should admit they were wrong by now, they wanted the 2nd year, which was fine I suppose, but time's up. Not going to name names though.:D

I do understand that there have been a good amount of injuries, so it's not all his fault by any means. He's just not the saviour many proclaimed him to be.

Well, i do think there have been many factors:

1) Injuries...I think everyone would agree with this.

2) Lack of time with many of these guys....IE, he gets these guys, has never seen them and then we epxect him to work magic quickly...Not sure that is fair to him.

3) Pitchers needing time to adjust to him and his throwing program(this goes with #2)

4) Perhaps he isn't working with everyone like he should be.

5) Talent

Well, i do think there have been many factors:

1) Injuries...I think everyone would agree with this.

2) Lack of time with many of these guys....IE, he gets these guys, has never seen them and then we epxect him to work magic quickly...Not sure that is fair to him.

3) Pitchers needing time to adjust to him and his throwing program(this goes with #2)

4) Perhaps he isn't working with everyone like he should be.

5) Talent

Concerning #3, we were promised instant results, then it got pushed back to year 2, now year 3?;) But yeah, some good excuses, but at the end of the day, results is what matters most.

Concerning #3, we were promised instant results, then it got pushed back to year 2, now year 3?;) But yeah, some good excuses, but at the end of the day, results is what matters most.

Well look at the guys that he has been given do to injury/poor depth.

Your guys like Zambrano, Santos and others like that.

Then the young kids he has never seen like Liz and Hoey.

Journeymen like Leicester and others like him.

He gets these guys for a few innings...He needs to have them for longer than that.

End of the day, you are right...The results haven't been there.

But the plan and the players given to him has also been poor.

I think there is more blame on the Orioles and the FO than Mazzone but Mazzone certainly deserves some.

Don't underestimate the effects of the World Baseball Classic in 2006.

The Orioles lost more players -particularly starting pitchers- than any other MLB team for a big chunk of spring training. At a time when Mazzone would have normally been able to lay the groundwork for his program with the pitchers, we had Bedard & Loewen pitching for Canada, Cabrera for the DR & Rodrigo Lopez hurling for Mexico.

In some respects, I feel like this was his first real year here.

I'm getting a sense that Trembley seems to feel threatened by more experienced (Major League) coaches in general. Are you getting that sense as well? Has the power gone to his head a bit? I hope Mazzone does go but I think Treblehorn got a raw deal considering that he would have been ahead of Trembley in line for the job he got if his wife hadn't had a stroke.

More experienced? (????) Trembley is the 20+ seasons grisled old vet from the minor leagues. I don't think he's picking (and firing) coaches based on him being intimidated by them. I think he's picking diamonds from the rough from guys he has gone to war with.

We should have never hired Mazzone if we weren't committed to him. Failing to implement his program system wide is inexcusable and might also be a factor in so many youngsters struggling as much as they have when they first arrive. The organization does not need a new pitching coach, it needs to fully commit to the game's best pitching coach. Unfortunately my gut feeling is that we won't do that and instead choose to go with a huge downgrade.

Don't underestimate the effects of the World Baseball Classic in 2006.

The Orioles lost more players -particularly starting pitchers- than any other MLB team for a big chunk of spring training. At a time when Mazzone would have normally been able to lay the groundwork for his program with the pitchers, we had Bedard & Loewen pitching for Canada, Cabrera for the DR & Rodrigo Lopez hurling for Mexico.

In some respects, I feel like this was his first real year here.

Yeah, because when Spring Training was over, Mazzone was unable to work with the pitchers anymore for the rest of the season...:rolleyes: I'm sorry, but I just never bought that excuse. Besides, Bedard turned out quite well, and Loewen started improving before getting injured. That just leaves Lopez, who's not even with the team anymore and supposedly had friction with Mazzone, and Cabrera, who's had five seasons to get his arse in gear.

We should of never hired Mazzone if we weren't committed to him. Failing to implement his program system wide is inexcusable and might also be a factor in so many youngsters struggling as much as they have when they first arrive. The organization does not need a new pitching coach, it needs to fully commit to the game's best pitching coach. Unfortunately my gut feeling is that we won't do that and instead choose to go with a huge downgrade.

Exactly. There are reasons that he has had success. Just adding his name to the organizational phone book won't cut it. If you hire him, you need to let him do whatever it is that has worked. This organization has holes as far as the eye can see, and we're worried about replacing one of the top pitching coaches in the game...Maybe we just have no talent and haven't let him do things the way he wants. Maybe he's not the problem, but rather it's the pitchers who have failed everywhere else who are? Just a hunch...

Archived