Arthur Rhodes is still pitching!

LA2

He had a 2.53 ERA last season as a LOOGY (66 G, 53.3 IPs, 48 Ks) and got tagged for a GW dinger today.

To put this into perspective, Arthur's first important O's season (15 G, 15 Starts, 2 CG, 1 SHO) was when the other starting pitchers were Mussina, Sutcliffe, Milacki, and McDonald, and the corners were manned by Randy Milligan and Leo Gomez (1992).

Hats off to a long and steady career! :clap3:

He's gotta be the last guy still playing left from the 96-97 teams wouldn't ya say? Glad he's still playing. I liked Arthur. He was a good bullpen arm for us.

Considering I dont think David Delucci is playing anywhere this year, you're right.

Yeah, that would be my other guess. Hard to believe that was 13-14 years ago.

Yeah, the runners-up wd be Armando Benitez and Mussina, who were both on the '97 team and retired in 2008.

When you think that Rhodes started out a whole six years *before* the '97 team, it's even more impressive. The DH in '91 and '92 was Glenn Schilling-Finley-Harnisch Davis.

The last standing Oriole from the Memorial Stadium days.

Granted Jamie Moyer was pitching when REAGAN was still in office but was an Oriole in 93 or 94.

Pretty amazing that Moyer's been in the bigs since before I was born. Nolan Ryan's an interesting story. Broke in the LBJ years and finished up in the early years of Clinton. I always think it's cool when guys face guys that were born after the older guy broke in to the big leagues.

Arthur is a regular customer of mine. He's a very friendly person and I see him every off season like clockwork. He still lives in Phoenix Md.

Even more remarkable than the fact that he's still pitching, he told me in January that he hopes to pitch for two more years after this year. His contract with Cinci was for 2 years and is up at the end of this year.

I told him he's had a hell of a career, but this thread really puts it into perspective.

I saw that on Rotoworld today. I was shocked. But I'm glad that he's still around and on a team that I like too.

Gregg Zaun is still playing, David Wells retired recently, and Nerio Rodriguez is pitching for Monclova in Mexico this year. As a starter too.

Ah I had forgotten that Zaun was on the '96 club but he was traded half way through. It's fun to look at my old 1996 Media Guide though. The young guys from back then are in their late 30's now. Moyer who was mentioned is unreal though. Would love to see him make it to 50 playing in the bigs. Rooted for Julio Franco for the same reason.

Ah I had forgotten that Zaun was on the '96 club but he was traded half way through. It's fun to look at my old 1996 Media Guide though. The young guys from back then are in their late 30's now. Moyer who was mentioned is unreal though. Would love to see him make it to 50 playing in the bigs. Rooted for Julio Franco for the same reason.

Imagine if Franco didn't play baseball in Asia and wasn't injured in 1992 and 1999. 3,000 hits, for sure.

Including his time in the MLB, MiLB, Mexico, and Asia, he had over 3,800 hits.

Archived