Being an Orioles fan has taken its toll on me

Diehard_O's_Fan

We're all pulling for the same outcome here.

Excellent point. And it's great that people still have enough passion to debate the right way to pull for it.

And I'm not just saying that because you have the username I want.

Starting pitching has been better. And that's the key to everything, long term. Can't say I have overriding confidence that Guthrie will continue the trend tonight, but hell, we're all pulling for it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man this place is brutal. The OP was just posting his feelings. Obviously not everyone is going to agree with him. That doesn't mean that some of you elitist have to come out and bash the guy.

That's the ebb and flow of the OH.

There's a set group of dudes that believe they have the lock on all "intellectual discourse" on the site and anyone that posts thoughts and/or feelings outside of the umbrella of what they consider to be "legitimate" dialogue is quickly lambasted and ridiculed.

It happens here all the time, and its funny to me, but I can see how it can be frustrating and ridiculous to constantly be challenged for just posting your feelings on a MESSAGE BOARD.

Its a MESSAGE BOARD, not "me and a few of my sabermetric demagogue online cohorts" discussion site.

Like I said, its funny to me, but some folks let their passions get to them, and I have no right to say whether or not its "legit" subject matter for the Orioles Hangout.

MSK

There's a set group of dudes that believe they have the lock on all "intellectual discourse" on the site and anyone that posts thoughts and/or feelings outside of the umbrella of what they consider to be "legitimate" dialogue is quickly lambasted and ridiculed.

It happens here all the time, and its funny to me, but I can see how it can be frustrating and ridiculous to constantly be challenged for just posting your feelings on a MESSAGE BOARD.

Its a MESSAGE BOARD, not "me and a few of my sabermetric demagogue online cohorts" discussion site.

Like I said, its funny to me, but some folks let their passions get to them, and I have no right to say whether or not its "legit" subject matter for the Orioles Hangout.

MSK

Well, heck, you were given an opportunity to prove your point. Funny how that never materialized. Yet, here you are, quick to run to complain about all sorts of clique-ishness and alleged internet bullying. Who is this cohort, though?

I mean, none of the folks with the most posts are part of any "clique." They all have different ideas about the Orioles. If they don't agree, then how can they be aligning against anyone? Many of them post opinions, and feelings, and jokes, and whathaveyou. They don't follow a protocol or a form.

Once again, you're full of hot air. There's no monopoly on intellectual discourse. There's no elitism. But that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be some standards. The OP, DOF, has consistently posted overly-enthusiastic opinions about the team while complaining about everyone who doesn't rise to his bull-ish levels of enthusiasm. Now, after a week, he's "quitting." That warrants criticism. It warrants criticism because it invalidates any authority in his original posts. And it calls into question his credibility. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But that doesn't mean that criticism of some of the crackpot, unsupported, histrionic and/or ridiculous posts is out-of-bounds. In fact, it licenses that criticism.

Shack and I don't agree on a ton, but we do agree that these threads are silly. That's not aligning along ideological lines.

MSK

There's also a group of dudes with a major persecution complex.

Well, heck, you were given an opportunity to prove your point. Funny how that never materialized. Yet, here you are, quick to run to complain about all sorts of clique-ishness and alleged internet bullying. Who is this cohort, though?

If you're referring to our bet, its still on. I do admit its my fault for taking this long to finish it, and I haven't forgotten about it. I had a fire a few months back and a lot of my work was lost (no joke). But I will honor it.

I am not complaining in the least, its really an observation. I won't go in a round-to-round point by point analysis of what happens here, but a lot of people know exactly what I mean when I say that you have to be careful of what you post in fear of a backlash.

I mean, none of the folks with the most posts are part of any "clique." They all have different ideas about the Orioles. If they don't agree, then how can they be aligning against anyone? Many of them post opinions, and feelings, and jokes, and whathaveyou. They don't follow a protocol or a form.

Considering the fact that you seem to take this personally, just be aware that I wasn't referring to you at all. Believe it or not, even though I don't agree with some of what you say, you do seem to be a decent enough fellow. And I refuse to take anything personally that happens on a MESSAGE BOARD.

Once again, you're full of hot air. There's no monopoly on intellectual discourse. There's no elitism. But that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be some standards. The OP, DOF, has consistently posted overly-enthusiastic opinions about the team while complaining about everyone who doesn't rise to his bull-ish levels of enthusiasm. Now, after a week, he's "quitting." That warrants criticism. It warrants criticism because it invalidates any authority in his original posts. And it calls into question his credibility. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But that doesn't mean that criticism of some of the crackpot, unsupported, histrionic and/or ridiculous posts is out-of-bounds. In fact, it licenses that criticism.

Shack and I don't agree on a ton, but we do agree that these threads are silly. That's not aligning along ideological lines.

The OP DOF, has every right to express his complete and total frustration with the performance of a team he follows. This is what I mean, if a person wants to come onto the OH to vent, its always easy to just ignore the thread. Its really that simple.

I don't watch reality TV (to me, its an oxymoron) and if I notice its on, I continue flipping past, I won't stop, watch it, and then get upset because its a reality program that I will automatically hate.

The "quality" of the conversation here isn't really affected by people that don't bring reams of quantifiable data for their postings. Or wish to discuss intangibles. There are plenty of MLB-related message boards for stat heads and the like. Last time I checked, this was an ORIOLES message board, not a sabermetric or Baseball Prospectus or pre-calculus board.

There are all kinds of fans from all walks of life with all kinds of interests. There should never be some kind of content barometer outside of clearly offensive materials.

If a guy hates AM, he has the right to say that without fear of reproach.

If a young lady loves BRob. She has that right.

If someone loves the warehouse and wishes to defend it, then they can go for it. Full guns ablazin'.

Bottom line, there seems to be plenty of space on here for all viewpoints. The constant complaining about those that don't see the sunny side of the street where the Orioles are concerned does get a bit tiresome as well.

MSK

If you're referring to our bet, its still on. I do admit its my fault for taking this long to finish it, and I haven't forgotten about it. I had a fire a few months back and a lot of my work was lost (no joke). But I will honor it.

I am not complaining in the least, its really an observation. I won't go in a round-to-round point by point analysis of what happens here, but a lot of people know exactly what I mean when I say that you have to be careful of what you post in fear of a backlash.

Considering the fact that you seem to take this personally, just be aware that I wasn't referring to you at all. Believe it or not, even though I don't agree with some of what you say, you do seem to be a decent enough fellow. And I refuse to take anything personally that happens on a MESSAGE BOARD.

The OP DOF, has every right to express his complete and total frustration with the performance of a team he follows. This is what I mean, if a person wants to come onto the OH to vent, its always easy to just ignore the thread. Its really that simple.

I don't watch reality TV (to me, its an oxymoron) and if I notice its on, I continue flipping past, I won't stop, watch it, and then get upset because its a reality program that I will automatically hate.

The "quality" of the conversation here isn't really affected by people that don't bring reams of quantifiable data for their postings. Or wish to discuss intangibles. There are plenty of MLB-related message boards for stat heads and the like. Last time I checked, this was an ORIOLES message board, not a sabermetric or Baseball Prospectus or pre-calculus board.

There are all kinds of fans from all walks of life with all kinds of interests. There should never be some kind of content barometer outside of clearly offensive materials.

If a guy hates AM, he has the right to say that without fear of reproach.

If a young lady loves BRob. She has that right.

If someone loves the warehouse and wishes to defend it, then they can go for it. Full guns ablazin'.

Bottom line, there seems to be plenty of space on here for all viewpoints. The constant complaining about those that don't see the sunny side of the street where the Orioles are concerned does get a bit tiresome as well.

MSK

Thanks for the response. I try to be a decent fellow. Perhaps it's evidence that I spend too much time on here that I begin to take the noise pollution of certain posters too seriously and/or personally.

That said, in the context of DOF's posts regarding the fan-hood of other posters (for "bashing" Jake Arrieta or not backing Trembley, or whathaveyou) do you think that criticism of this melodramatic post fits within the context of liberal expression on a message board?

Just curious.

I won't mention the bet again. BTW.

I was busy today, putting together some furniture. Since I can't get the game on the radio in Frederick, which is amazingly pathetic, I took a break and watched the 6th inning when the O's were up 2-1. I turned it off, went to work wondering how they would blow this game, and then turned the game on in the top of the 9th. They were losing 4-2. I turned the game off and went to read a book.

It's gotten to that point already...6 games into the season. I didn't care to see if they could come back and win the 9th. I knew they wouldn't.

2010 is going to be a long season.

This is basically a description of how I watch the Os now. The start to this season is just not interesting, and I don't make time to watch them (though a new addition has taken what seems to be all of my free time - and better spent!) like I used to.

I still think they're a solid team, but it's just the most boring, deflating April I can remember.

For me is has nothing to do with a "clique". The issue is the way some of the posters react to an opinion they don't agree with. Especially if it's an opinion of a newer member.

Let me just say that everyone has been nothing but nice since I signed up here. In fact I think Lucky Jim was the first to welcome me. So this is not coming from a personal standpoint.

Thanks for the response. I try to be a decent fellow. Perhaps it's evidence that I spend too much time on here that I begin to take the noise pollution of certain posters too seriously and/or personally.

That said, in the context of DOF's posts regarding the fan-hood of other posters (for "bashing" Jake Arrieta or not backing Trembley, or whathaveyou) do you think that criticism of this melodramatic post fits within the context of liberal expression on a message board?

Just curious.

I won't mention the bet again. BTW.

I DO understand why folks get tired of constant negativity. Lately, I've been riding a VERY THIN line between extremely, extremely cautious optimism and being a realist in regards to the Orioles in 2010.

I even asked for a bit of clarity back during ST when some folks were losing their minds over some practice games.

I mentioned in another post that most of my friends are either Yankees or Red Sox fans (only one of them is a bandwagoner) and it hurts me to my core trying to have AL East discussions with them (especially since 2004) when my hometown team does nothing but embarrass me in a baseball context.

Each season I try to talk to them about how their "dominance" will end when the Orioles get their act together but then they laugh and say "when?" The conversation usually stops there.

Its well known I am a major league hater of PAs tenure as owner and I am not a fan of AM either. I just want my hometown team to WIN!

But I digress, I am making a conscious effort to not post negative things, which is another reason why I don't start as many posts as I used to. I want to say positive things about the Orioles, but there comes a point where even optimism feels like a fool's errand when the team loses consistently.

MSK

Yet you have 157 posts on a message board devoted to that franchise?

Man, if I wasn't a fan of the Orioles I would be laughing my tucus off at you right now for your hypocrisy and obliviousness. But since I'm one of the hundreds of thousands of people you are trying poorly to insult, I just find no reason to bother.

Because I don't have 20,000+ posts that makes me not a devoted fan?? Oh wait, no that means I actually have a life and don't post on message boards every hour of the day and look at star wars youtube clips or whatever the heck you do on the computer for 90 hours.

I've followed more sports and devoted more time than you can dream about. I've been a writer, am a varsity coach and have been an athlete my entire life even in college.

However, as this thread was intentially created for people are done believing in a team and putting their heart and soul into when all they do is get crushed every single time. That doesn't make them LESS of a fan, it means they are fed up with what this organization pushes as a product. Don't get mad at the fans who are upset about - get upset with the owner and the group that has embarrased the area for the past 13 years.

I used to go to Camden Yards every single year as a child from Pennsylvania. Now there's no desire to go anymore because (1)we'll lose (2)there's more fans from the other teams than ours.

Now either you can blindly cheer and continue to accept losing or fight back and demand change. Sorry I don't like losing and that's the way I live my life...if you don't then I don't know what to tell you

After following the Orioles the last 13 years and seeing them experience heart breaking loses after another' date=' I am going to stop following them as much. The season has barely started and am allready sick and tired of seeing them lose. Not only do they lose but they lose in heart breaking fashion.

I have wasted too much of my life following this team. It is time to stop following them as much and move on with my life. Life is too short to waste it following sports especially a losing baseball team.

Andrew,[/quote']i love the old days when we had good teams now they suck:wedge:

Archived