Cafardo: Orioles have long been interested in AGon

JTrea81

Can anyone tell me if these 1 for 3-5 guys trades EVER work for the team who's getting the one player?

I honestly can't remember any but I do remember a few that worked quite well for the team receiving prospects.

I'd say the Miguel Cabrera trade has worked out alright for Detroit so far.

It's not nearly as risky when the one player is a position player.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually would agree making those types of deals rarely work. Several things make AG a possible exception. He's been playing in a park that suppresses his numbers...in OPACY he could be truly sick. He also hasn't even turned 28 yet. He has many good years ahead of him.

Can anyone tell me if these 1 for 3-5 guys trades EVER work for the team who's getting the one player?

I honestly can't remember any but I do remember a few that worked quite well for the team receiving prospects.

Martinez to Sox

McGwire to STL

McGriff to Braves

Cone to Yankees

Halladay to Phils (early results are good....CG today)

I usually would agree making those types of deals rarely work. Several things make AG a possible exception. He's been playing in a park that suppresses his numbers...in OPACY he could be truly sick. He also hasn't even turned 28 yet. He has many good years ahead of him.

I am all for it within reason. Considering the lack of a salary cap in baseball it gives no incentive for the best players to sign here right now. This might be our best option to get a player of his talents. Even if San Diego moves him I would be shocked to see it before June at the earliest.

Martinez to Sox

McGwire to STL

McGriff to Braves

Cone to Yankees

Halladay to Phils (early results are good....CG today)

I think the ballot is still out on two of those trades.

I'd like to see what the other team got in the other 3 trades though... just to compare although I don't doubt you're 100% right, I'd just like to see what exactly was traded for said players.

Good post though.

Johan Santana off the top of my head.

Johan Santana off the top of my head.

I don't remember what the Twins got back from him, but John only had like 1 1/2 good years with the Mets before he got injured, didn't he?

I don't know if I'd say that was a winning trade for the Mets. Then again, I don't completely recall everything the Twins just got back. Just that they got that really fast CFer who's name eludes me.

Would it even be worth it at this point? I am a supporter of giving San Diego whatever it takes as long as it doesn't cripple the minor leagues and leaves us with no arms in the minors but I'm sure we can offer a package for him that they would accept and still be able to keep two of Tillman, Arrieta, and Britton. I just don't know if he can make everyone else in the lineup stop swinging at every pitch within 20feet of home plate.

I would love to add AGon but Jtrea and others really overrate him.

He is a very good overall first baseman but he isn't elite.

He had a career year last year, at age 27..which is the age that history tells you a player will peak at.

His BB% was way higher than it ever has been last year, so don't expect that to continue.

His HR/FB% has always been on the "lucky side" so Petco isn't really surpressing his homers.

His peripherals tell you he is good but not as good as he was last year...That is why SD had to trade him this offseason...He is an 840-870 OPS guy...Not a 900+ guy..at least not consistently.

You can't trade a package of players and give out a contract based on a career year...That's how you get fired from your job.

I think the ballot is still out on two of those trades.

I'd like to see what the other team got in the other 3 trades though... just to compare although I don't doubt you're 100% right, I'd just like to see what exactly was traded for said players.

Good post though.

The Mark McGuire trade was one of the most lopsided in history....McGuire was acquired for Blake Stein, TJ Matthews, and Eric Ludwick...Ludwick pitched six games for the As, Stein was 5-9 with a 6.60 ERA, and Matthews was 24-15 with a 4.78 ERA...

I would love to add AGon but Jtrea and others really overrate him.

He is a very good overall first baseman but he isn't elite.

He had a career year last year, at age 27..which is the age that history tells you a player will peak at.

His BB% was way higher than it ever has been last year, so don't expect that to continue.

His HR/FB% has always been on the "lucky side" so Petco isn't really surpressing his homers.

His peripherals tell you he is good but not as good as he was last year...That is why SD had to trade him this offseason...He is an 840-870 OPS guy...Not a 900+ guy..at least not consistently.

You can't trade a package of players and give out a contract based on a career year...That's how you get fired from your job.

Not to mention that it's difficult to trust guys that bounce around and then suddenly break out like Gonzalez has. Maybe the past two decades of MLB have just made me a pessimist, but I don't trust Gonzalez. There's no way I would want to pay him $20+ at the age of 33.

So if Hernandez shows he can stick in the rotation, and we draft a college pitcher that can get to the majors quickly, along with having Zach Britton, you wouldn't deem those two expendable?

Tillman, Arrieta, Joseph and Snyder. I think that's a nice package to offer...

I agree 100%

We need a power hitter.

The Orioles should make that deal if it is available.

Archived