Cafardo: Orioles have long been interested in AGon

JTrea81

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If San Diego wants Tillman and Arrieta, we should quickly hang up the phone.

We should shout "YES!" and then quickly hang up the phone before they change their minds.

We have a huge hole in our lineup that needs to be filled by a legitimate cleanup hitter. Right now, we're losing because we can't score. We would have a much better offense wiith Tejada batting third and AGon batting fourth.

But how much are you willing to give?

He has already said he wants Tex money. Are you ok with that?

No, I'm not OK with that because he isn't in the same class as Tex.

I'm thinking (perhaps incorrectly) that AGon and the O's can come to an agreement in a new contract that includes a very large raise for AGon - but not Tex money.

I admit that trading for AGon with the idea of signing him to an contract extension would be a risk, but we've got to do something to upgrade the offense.

Tex money couldn't get Tex here. If he's traded and willing to sign I'll give him the moon.

Top Free agents won't sign here until we get something going.

I say it's time to get something going.

He wants Tex money, but Tex wanted ARod money. If he wants Tex money, he'll likely settle for something below that.

It'll still cost a ton to extend him, but I think he'd be worth a contract in the low $100Ms. Something like 6/$108M or so, maybe a bit more, maybe as much as Holliday got. I don't think a contract like tha twould kill us and it'd be worth it if he continues to hit close to as well as he did last year for the next few.

Now, if he slides back to where he was the few years before that, then $18M per is overpaying. So it depends on if the team thinks he's a .900+ OPS guy going forward or a .850ish guy.

He wants Tex money, but Tex wanted ARod money. If he wants Tex money, he'll likely settle for something below that.

It'll still cost a ton to extend him, but I think he'd be worth a contract in the low $100Ms. Something like 6/$108M or so, maybe a bit more, maybe as much as Holliday got. I don't think a contract like tha twould kill us and it'd be worth it if he continues to hit close to as well as he did last year for the next few.

Now, if he slides back to where he was the few years before that, then $18M per is overpaying. So it depends on if the team thinks he's a .900+ OPS guy going forward or a .850ish guy.

Zero chance he signs that contract with us.

Yep, AGon is going to take at least 6/120 to extend. Based on his production levels in Petco, which should be pitchco, I'd be happy with $20-$22 mil a year to get him. He does face some good pitching from the Dodgers and Rox, not to mention the reigning Cy Young winner Lincecum

Yeah, I think that contract might not get him to extend anywhere, unless he somehow takes less to stay in San Diego.

Drats, I wasted my 3000th post on a Tex thread and now my 5000th on a AGon thread.

I could see him taking a Holliday-type deal. I don't see him getting more than that in free agency unless he has another MVP-caliber season, and even then he'll still be closer to that deal than Teixeira's deal.

I doubt he signs an extension, but that's the only way I'd consider trading for him.

I really believe that the benefits of having A Gon in our lineup would do wonders for everyone else in our lineup and improve our offense dramatically. We would finally have the LEGITIMATE feared hitter that consistently gets it done. The dude puts up monster numbers with no lineup protection and one of the worst parks to hit in. I really believe that the big bat is one of the things that we have desperately needed the most through the years and would help us reach our goal of contending. We have a lot of solid bats in the lineup, but no true star hitter. We get that, then it takes the pressure off the other guys and allows them to be at ease when hitting and not trying to be the super star that they aren't or the homerun hitter that they aren't.

Archived