Cafardo: Orioles have long been interested in AGon

JTrea81

I love the idea of Pena...how likely is it that we'd have a shot at him?
As likely as any other team.

I think the odds of TB resigning him are pretty low, although with Crawford leaving too, maybe they'll pool that money and try and keep him.

The Yankees won't be after him, and we can compete with any other team over one player, although a bidding war for him might get into the range of where it doesn't make so much sense.

But I think a 4-year deal for $14-17M per year is reasonable for Pena. 5 years scares me a bit, but I'm not so sure he gets that. I think Bay's contract is a pretty solid comparison point. (4/$66M w an option).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK' date=' that answers my question.[b'] I guess I just believe we have to eventually shift the balance of power by acquiring some power.[/b] If we don't, we're just clinging to the hope that someone will come up through our system and be that middle-of-the-lineup presence that we haven't had in years.

I don't believe we can ever compete in the East without pop in the lineup. We'd struggle even if we had 5 Matuszes in our rotation because you need to score in the AL East.

Well all the players I mentioned possibly signing have power, some on par with AGon.

Well I guess you don't believe the Red Sox can compete this year? They have no real 30 hr hitters at the moment. I also showed other Red Sox and Yanks teams that have done well in the past without big power bats.

You can score without big hr hitters. If Wieters becomes a .320/.400/540 30 hr's type of guy, I'll gladly take that anywhere from 3-5 in the lineup.

But I'd also gladly take someone who is a good bet to hit 35+ hr's year in year out. There's multiple ways to score runs and win games is the point.

Well all the players I mentioned possibly signing have power, some on par with AGon.

Well I guess you don't believe the Red Sox can compete this year? They have no real 30 hr hitters at the moment. I also showed other Red Sox and Yanks teams that have done well in the past without big power bats.

You can score without big hr hitters. If Wieters becomes a .320/.400/540 30 hr's type of guy, I'll gladly take that anywhere from 3-5 in the lineup.

But I'd also gladly take someone who is a good bet to hit 35+ hr's year in year out. There's multiple ways to score runs and win games is the point.

Good point...it's very possible I'm just getting antsy. :)

As likely as any other team.

I think the odds of TB resigning him are pretty low, although with Crawford leaving too, maybe they'll pool that money and try and keep him.

The Yankees won't be after him, and we can compete with any other team over one player, although a bidding war for him might get into the range of where it doesn't make so much sense.

But I think a 4-year deal for $14-17M per year is reasonable for Pena. 5 years scares me a bit, but I'm not so sure he gets that. I think Bay's contract is a pretty solid comparison point. (4/$66M w an option).

Boy, I'd be very excited if this actually happens. I agree, for that price, he'd be well worth it.

I'm starting to think that if we try to organically become a contender' date=' it just might not ever happen. In some ways, I think we need to make a run at it. We are better positioned to do this than we have been for years. We have promising young pitchers and talented supporting players. If we add one or two big bats, who knows what can happen.

[b']It's a nice thing to say you're going to home grow an entire team, but at some point, you have to make the moves to put your team in position to compete/contend.[/b] Also, half the reason you draft a million young pitchers is to give yourself something of value, right?

I don't think anyone is arguing against this.

The misconception many seem to make on here is they see a lot of people don't want to trade for AGon or guys like him or give a hitter a monster contract, so they assume they don't want moves made to help put the team over the top.

The whole point of acquiring a slugger is to get somebody that fits the Orioles.

A 33-34 year old does not fit what the Orioles are doing as they are pretty much past their prime years.

Do we really want to be paying a 36 year old Carlos Pena $17-18 million per season?

That's why you go out and trade for or sign a sub 30 year old bat to a LT deal. Sure you pay more, but you get more prime years of production as well.

I'd much rather give up more to get Miguel Cabrera or Adrian Gonzalez then I would to sign Pena or Lee to LT deals.

If you are signing them to a 2 year deal, then that might make sense, but for those players you are looking at a 4+ year deal in each case IMO to get them to Baltimore based on the competition that you will face.

The Cubs and Rays don't exactly have replacements for those two players, so they aren't going to give up without a strong effort to keep them IMO.

The whole point of acquiring a slugger is to get somebody that fits the Orioles.

A 33-34 year old does not fit what the Orioles are doing as they are pretty much past their prime years.

Do we really want to be paying a 36 year old Carlos Pena $17-18 million per season?

That's why you go out and trade for or sign a sub 30 year old bat to a LT deal. Sure you pay more, but you get more prime years of production as well.

I'd much rather give up more to get Miguel Cabrera or Adrian Gonzalez then I would to sign Pena or Lee to LT deals.

If you are signing them to a 2 year deal, then that might make sense, but for those players you are looking at a 4+ year deal in each case IMO to get them to Baltimore.

Then why do you think Gonzalez will extend with us?

If you are signing them to a 2 year deal, then that might make sense, but for those players you are looking at a 4+ year deal in each case IMO to get them to Baltimore.

You're are willing to pay various other guys more money for their mid 30's years.

Plenty of contending or teams on the vergo of contending have and continue to go out and get good older players to help them, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as the contract isn't excessive. I don't see how a guy like Pena doesn't fit what the O's are doing? So if the plan is to contend long-term, you have to have everyone set long-term?

A 4/60 deal for Pena is much less risky than the type of deal you want, plus it is more likely to result in more wins imo considering who we'd lose in a trade like that.

You're are willing to pay various other guys more money for their mid 30's years.

Plenty of contending or teams on the vergo of contending have and continue to go out and get good older players to help them, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as the contract isn't excessive. I don't see how a guy like Pena doesn't fit what the O's are doing? So if the plan is to contend long-term, you have to have everyone set long-term?

A 4/60 deal for Pena is much less risky than the type of deal you want, plus it is more likely to result in more wins imo considering who we'd lose in a trade like that.

I'm willing to pay more money to get guys that will still have ages 28-33 left as that is usually the peak production of a player. And we are going to need peak production out of our lineup to beat the teams we need to beat to get to the playoffs.

I'm willing to pay more money to get guys that will still have ages 28-33 left as that is usually the peak production of a player. And we are going to need peak production out of our lineup to beat the teams we need to beat to get to the playoffs.

I never realized that Pena was 32 and AGonz was 28. I actually think that is a very big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I never realized that Pena was 32 and AGonz was 28. I actually think that is a very big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah and MCab is 27. Those are the types of players you target, and it's why Teixeira was such a must have when he was available.

It's becoming harder and harder to obtain that type of talent because teams realize how valuable it is, and you can't win without it.

Ok, so the only way we can win is if all of our hitters are providing peak production?

Age is less of a concern when you're signing players to shorter deals. I'd rather have somewhat riskier guy on a shorter deal, it just fits the O's resources and risk profile a lot better. No reason you have to have a monster first baseman on a 7/180 deal when you can have guys with 90% of the production on a series of 3/30 type deals.

Risk mitigation and diversification. That's what it's all about.

Age is less of a concern when you're signing players to shorter deals. I'd rather have somewhat riskier guy on a shorter deal, it just fits the O's resources and risk profile a lot better. No reason you have to have a monster first baseman on a 7/180 deal when you can have guys with 90% of the production on a series of 3/30 type deals.

Risk mitigation and diversification. That's what it's all about.

I always thought the hokey-pokey was what it's all about.

Eh-hem. But anyway, if there are a few first basement on the market at the same time, Pena shouldn't be able to get 4 yrs 17 per season from anyone and a shorter deal should be very possible.

if so, yes. Like it. If not, and one of our younger guys don't look like they're going to become bigger power threats, we may have to make a move for a big bat eventually.

Archived