Cafardo: Orioles have long been interested in AGon

JTrea81

Risk mitigation and diversification. That's what it's all about.

No it's about winning games.

There is no "Best bang for your buck" award in baseball but there are pennants and trophies for winning games.

How much you have to pay is irrelevant as long as you win.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no "Best bang for your buck" award in baseball but there are pennants and trophies for winning games.

I'm starting to come around to this mentality. Sure, it's easy to hate the Yankees and want to be a magical team like the Twins or Rays that overcomes financial inequities and builds a David vs. Goliath team. But, the reality is that winning games with a $200M payroll counts the same as winning games with a $100M payroll.

If we can acquire the best players possible, that's our shot to unseat the 2-3 better teams in our division.

This is why many of us don't take you seriously. You really don't get that the Orioles have a small fraction of the resources of their competition.

The O's reward for "best bang for your buck" is contention. Their punishment for not managing their resources exceptionally well would be 70 wins a year forever.

I'm starting to come around to this mentality. Sure' date=' it's easy to hate the Yankees and want to be a magical team like the Twins or Rays that overcomes financial inequities and builds a David vs. Goliath team. But, the reality is that winning games with a $200M payroll counts the same as winning games with a $100M payroll.

If we can acquire the best players possible, that's our shot to unseat the 2-3 better teams in our division.[/quote']

Do you remember 1998? It is almost impossible for a team to both spend beyond its means and do all of the other things necessary to have a sustainable organization over the long haul.

Do you remember 1998? It is almost impossible for a team to both spend beyond its means and do all of the other things necessary to have a sustainable organization over the long haul.

I do.

I also don't understand where I said we should spend beyond our means. I understood the idea of getting short-term stopgaps while we were building up a young nucleus. For years, it didn't make sense to go out and get the big bats at a premium when our supplemental players weren't ready.

However, in the next year or two, we'll likely have a pretty good rotation full of younger pitchers and a relatively productive supporting cast in the lineup (Pie, Reimold, Jones, Markakis, Wieters, for example).

So, at that point, instead of spending $40M over 3 years...maybe we spend $65M over 3 years to land the best possible middle-of-the-order bat we can. That would probably be our window to compete with this crop of players.

Those are arbitrary numbers for sure, but I'm sick of spending SOME money on a guy to fill a position instead of spending more to get a premium player. We've been waiting and waiting and saving up for something...eventually we have to pull the trigger and take our shot, right?

Well this post is poor for the reason Drungo mentioned; however for me it's more about what we'd have to give up to get AGon than the financial cost of him vs Pena, Lee, etc.

Well this post is poor for the reason Drungo mentioned; however for me it's more about what we'd have to give up to get AGon than the financial cost of him vs Pena, Lee, etc.

You have to give something to get something.

While it's nice to think all of the Orioles prospects are going to pan out and we'll have a team that is winning year in and out built entirely of players through trades and our system the reality is that that is a fairy tale.

The Orioles need to capitalize on Tillman's hype before he regresses in AAA, ditto for Arrieta. If they can get a team to bite on those two as the main part of a package for a player like AGon, then they need to pull the trigger, yesterday...

This is why many of us don't take you seriously. You really don't get that the Orioles have a small fraction of the resources of their competition.

The O's reward for "best bang for your buck" is contention. Their punishment for not managing their resources exceptionally well would be 70 wins a year forever.

The Orioles can afford a $110-115 million dollar payroll if they wish IMO.

I realize MacPhail and Angelos have convinced you they don't have the money, but I'm not convinced.

And if they were actually committed to spending some money to put the best talent they can out there, they might be able to justify a decent hike in ticket prices so you can watch a competitive team. I know I'd rather pay more to watch a team that wins than pay less for one that doesn't.

For example, had the Orioles actually made an investment in the on-field product so it looked like they were going to have been competitive, I might have invested in MLB.tv to watch them live. And I'm sure other fans who can get to the games, might have invested more in tickets.

While it's nice to think all of the Orioles prospects are going to pan out and we'll have a team that is winning year in and out built entirely of players through trades and our system the reality is that that is a fairy tale.

The Orioles need to capitalize on Tillman's hype before he regresses in AAA, ditto for Arrieta. If they can get a team to bite on those two as the main part of a package for a player like AGon, then they need to pull the trigger, yesterday...

Who are you arguing with? I and no one else here thinks that. Unbelievable logic.

The bottom line is I think the team is better with Pena/Lee/Dunn (if he'll DH) and the players we'd have to give up to get AGon than AGon himself. How that means I don't want to win or I just don't want the team to spend money is beyond me.

And that's not saying I wouldn't trade anyone or that I think we're going to win with a team that doesn't receive outside help. Which should be abundantly clear since I mention bringing in a free agent.

And SD needs to capitalize on the obvious career year AGon just had.

You never seem to want to acknowledge the stats of AGOn last year and how much better he was last year compared to every other year of his career.

How many more wins, from 2011-2013, do you think AGon gives us compared to Pena, Tillman, Arrieta, etc...?

How much does AGon improve us in that scenario?

Great post. Thank you.

No! No! It's a terrible post! You cannot have sustained organizational success without being efficient. This means that you have to consider more than what a player would produce, you also have to consider what the players you're giving up would produce and what the money you're committing could buy.

If MacPhail isn't trying to get the best bang for his buck, he's doing his job wrong. End of story.

Seriously, end of story.

No! No! It's a terrible post! You cannot have sustained organizational success without being efficient. This means that you have to consider more than what a player would produce, you also have to consider what the players you're giving up would produce and what the money you're committing could buy.

If MacPhail isn't trying to get the best bang for his buck, he's doing his job wrong. End of story.

Seriously, end of story.

I think AM is an above average GM. I think he would make a great commissioner and MLB would be lucky to have him. This isn't about AM.

It seems that some on this board are a bigger fan of watching our moves than about the game on the field. This game is about winning baseball games at the end of the day and we haven't done that for well over a decade.

Something is wrong.

I understand what you're saying. But I think it's dangerously close to the kind of mindset that got us this decade-long losing streak. The reason we haven't won baseball games is because the moves we've made have been poor, which is why people focus on the moves.

Also, who wants to focus on the games at a time like this? :D

Archived