4/12 Rays at Orioles

ChaosLex

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just think Pie out runs the ball there and gets it. Jones is a half step behind and has to dive. Pie also has better reactions to the ball.

I'm not concerned with your hypothetical (no offense intended). I'm talking about whether or not the dive is smart or not.

I'm going to ask this as an honest question, and hope that the anti-Jones cabal doesn't lay into me.

Clearly, a single scores a run there, no?

So, if Jones is properly backed up by Pie (who took a bad path and let the ball squib by him, it appeared) isn't that gamble on the dive worth it?

I'm not going to fault Jones' effort there. He comes up with that and you can pitch around Longoria. And yes that wasn't a good route by Pie. You shouldn't have your back to the infield backing someone up. Should be a learning point for him. He's having an excellant game.

As Tech and Jim pointed out both Jones and Pie misplayed that ball off of Zobrist's bat which cost us a run. Jones had no business diving for an uncatchable ball and Pie took a bad route and or slowed up backing Jones up. Zobrist should have been on 1st or 2nd base there. Just can't afford to give away runs when the bats are this cold.

I'm going to ask this as an honest question, and hope that the anti-Jones cabal doesn't lay into me.

Clearly, a single scores a run there, no?

So, if Jones is properly backed up by Pie (who took a bad path and let the ball squib by him, it appeared) isn't that gamble on the dive worth it?

I completely agree with this. For all those saying "Pie would have gotten it". It was Pie that made the bad play on that ball and failed to back AJ up.

I like Pie, but AJ has that GG for a reason. He's the better fielder right now.

OMG Thorne, "Jones could be a leadoff hitter". Please Gary, just tell us what is happening in the game.:rolleyestf:

I agree that Pie has a decent chance to keep the ball from getting behind him if he immediately decides that it is Jones' ball. I think he instinctually went after and realized what Jones was doing a little late.

Basically, yes, Pie could have kept it at a double. I don't think single, but the point is the same. The problem is that it isn't that Jones was thinking "he'll back me up if I miss". I think he is just trying to be superman on everything. He had zero chance to catch that ball off the bat. I couldn't believe he tried.

I don't think Jones is doing bad stuff on purpose. I think he means well, but his natural tendency is to be flashy and he is also trying to go to that next level. Those things together lead to this sort of stuff.

He got a better pitch to hit there, but it wasn't a great pitch to hit on 1-1. It was still a 3 pitch at bat.

I'm watching on my computer, so it's possible it looked far closer to me than it was.

I completely agree with this. For all those saying "Pie would have gotten it". It was Pie that made the bad play on that ball and failed to back AJ up.

I like Pie, but AJ has that GG for a reason. He's the better fielder right now.

OMG Thorne, "Jones could be a leadoff hitter". Please Gary, just tell us what is happening in the game.:rolleyestf:

Pie against RHP > Jones. In every way that can be meant.

This is like a Twilight Zone:

A group of fans on a chat board gather to watch their favorite baseball team each night.

Only in this world, the games don't change. They are all the same night after night, and there's no way out for these desperate fans.

The fans have taken a left turn, into the Twilight Zone.

Archived