If Harper Falls To Us...

First off, do we draft him? I'm not too sure JJ even needs to be involved in this decision. Every baseball fan in the country knows of the epic season the 17y.o. Harper is having playing in junior college, so it really comes down to AM and PA deciding whether or not they wanna roll the dice on a 17y.o. kid for $25M. I would personally be extremely disappointed if we had a chance to take Harper and passed.

If we do decide to take Harper, is it reasonable to expect him to make it to the show by the 2012 season? All reports indicate that he's that once in a lifetime player, so I don't think that's at all farfetched to believe (A-Roid made it at 18, Griffey at 19, etc. etc.). Taking it a step further, is it possible that Harper bumps Wieters somewhere else (first base)?

I don't think many experts expect Harper to stick at Catcher. I would also think developing him as a catcher would add a year or so to his development time.

Mixed reviews, but he's definitely making progress, fundamentally. Needs more flexibility and will need to maintain that (which is tough for a bigman-to-be).

Probably 3B/RF most likely, but hell absolutely get a chance to catch as a pro and show he can't stick there.

• 1 month later...

Archived