How Does Terry Crowley Continue To Fly Under the Radar?

section18

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, you got me there. No sense replacing the hitting coach, it's always up to the players. Funny thing is we've gone through how many managers, bullpen coaches, pitching coaches, bench coaches since Crowley was hired? Ah, but hitting coaches are different because.................??????
Waiting for your brilliant insights into the art of coaching hitting.:rolleyestf:

I don't know maybe help a team hit? Maybe he could help Adam Jones recognize a slider? I will give you it is just as much him as it isn't. I am not saying he needs to be fired, but the team needs to hit. After all.... That is his job. The main job of a hitting coach is to help recognize pitches effectively. Mechanics and minor adjustments are made when hitters become off kilter. Pitch recognition is where the bread and butter of a hitting coach is at. I can't tell you how effective he really is at this. I am not there to judge his tutorials, but the numbers suggest failure. Again I am not saying he should be fired. I don't know if there is a better hitting coach out there. That is not my profession. I don't think you can cast stones saying well what has he done or how can he improve it. Because you don't really know. As mentioned before, he is the constant in this variable. Maybe you could come down off you high horse and see the field from that point of view?
Youi clearly don't know what you are talking about if you think the hitting coach recognizing pitches helps the batter. It's the batter who has to do that, Crowley sitting in the dugout saying, "Oh look that's a slider, too bad AJ can't pick it up," doesn't do any good.:rofl:

Youi clearly don't know what you are talking about if you think the hitting coach recognizing pitches helps the batter. It's the batter who has to do that, Crowley sitting in the dugout saying, "Oh look that's a slider, too bad AJ can't pick it up," doesn't do any good.:rofl:

Well I am pretty sure, since you know, I get paid to do it. I know a little more about it than you do. Again, I am not placing the blame squarely on Crowleys shoulders, but I can pretty much assure you that is a main part of his job. Helping a batter see what a pitch is when it leaves a the pitchers hand, yeah that is one of if not the main function. You can't teach somebody, fantastic hand eye, but you can teach them what an arm throwing a breaking ball vs a fast ball looks like. Now to be fair, I have never worked with MLB talent, however I would venture to say it is ssdd. I have never worked with MLB talent hitters either... But please, don't let my experience, trump what you think you know.

And to exonerate him is being obtuse. See how the knife cuts both ways? That is all I am saying. The team pays him to teach the players how to hit. If you pay a teacher, to teach a kid how to read, and they can't. Whos fault is it?

No, that's not right. I'm not exonerating him, I'm saying that you are not making an informed judgment. Exonerating him is the exact same mistake that you're making, but from the other side.

It may not be what he does, but rather a new message or a new approach.

One thing that has been consistent with all the losing besides Peter Angelos owning the team has been Terry Crowley as the hitting coach.

Sometime you have to make the players uncomfortable or angry to get them fired up and give the team a spark. Firing Crowley would do just that because the players like him so much.

Have you been talking management strategy with that pointy-haired guy from Dilbert again?

It may not be what he does, but rather a new message or a new approach.

One thing that has been consistent with all the losing besides Peter Angelos owning the team has been Terry Crowley as the hitting coach.

Sometime you have to make the players uncomfortable or angry to get them fired up and give the team a spark. Firing Crowley would do just that because the players like him so much.

What is his message/approach, JTrea? If you think it needs to be refreshed/reconsidered, exactly what are we talking about here.

Crowley doesn't hand out a pamphlet at the start of spring training entitled, "My Way of Hitting by Terry Crowley". He works with each player individually. He's not going to give the same advice to Cesar Izturis as he is to Nick Markakis. Different skill set, different type of hitter. The idea that Crowley (or any other hitting coach for that matter) has a specific approach is silly.

Sssssoooooooooooo...they should fire Crowley to piss off the players and that's going to what? Make the players play better? C'mon man...you don't really believe that, do you? That strategy doesn't fly in any sport or in any application of effective personnel management.

And to exonerate him is being obtuse. See how the knife cuts both ways? That is all I am saying. The team pays him to teach the players how to hit. If you pay a teacher, to teach a kid how to read, and they can't. Whos fault is it?

No, the team pays him to help the players maintain their mechanics, evaluate opposing pitchers and develop a strategy, troubleshoot flaws, but he's not a hitting teacher. The reading teacher analogy isn't apples-to-apples.

Crowley is the hitting coach. Some people on here say its not his fault. We have bad players. If we base it on that theory ,Trembley,Mazzone and others should never be fired. You are only as good as your players,that goes for all coaches. We see coaches get fired everyday because you can't fire all the players. I don't think Crowley can teach Miggy,Izturis and Lugo to be patient. They are not that type of hitters.

Actually, I'm looking for you to defend your opening salvo that the idea is ridiculous. Why is hitting coach different than any other coach? The alibis offered for Crowley often revolve around, "well, if he had better players to work with...." That same excuse didn't cut it for guys like Mazzone. Why not?
Keep Waffling. All I said wa,s until some one can give me specific examples of how a new coach would change our hitters, what he would do differently, I wouldn't take their criticism of Crowley seruiously. You seem unable to do that, so I don't take your criticism seriously.

Keep Waffling. All I said wa,s until some one can give me specific examples of how a new coach would change our hitters, what he would do differently, I wouldn't take their criticism of Crowley seruiously. You seem unable to do that, so I don't take your criticism seriously.

Well since nobody on this message board has the power to see into the future I suppose you'll just have to be happy with us hitting below .200 with RISP.

Well since nobody on this message board has the power to see into the future I suppose you'll just have to be happy with us hitting below .200 with RISP.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but this is done by teaching selfless/team ball and small ball. I know that guys like Jones who are swinging for the fences perhaps have something to do with the Hitting Coach, but that comes down to discipline from the Manager, no?

End of the day, the bat is in the hands of the 9 men in the lineup, and any patience or practices are up to the player to utilize. Now, if we could put the Crow in the lineup somewhere, then maybe we could some runner moving around the basepaths.. :D

You know the ironic thing? I was going to initially say that we need a HC who has played baseball within the last 20 years, and who understands the nature of today's game, but I don't think that really applies to baseball today. I think the game is returning to the pre-steroids era with situational hitting and emphasis on pitching and defense. That is how this team has been built -- with hopes that the players assembled are good enough to achieve success under that design. And TC is a guy who played in that era. So maybe he is the right HC for this team.

If anything, maybe the approach the O's have taken to create their roster is what needs to change?

Our hitters aren't good enough. It's that simple.

There is no emphasis on plate discipline from the majors on down to the draft. We don't value players who can take walks and get on base.

We never have.

Yeah...

Markakis is a .143 hitter. Tejada is a .207 hitter. Jones is a .233 hitter. Reimold is a .200 hitter. Scott is a .190 hitter.

They all stink! Trade them all for some that are better...

;)

Archived