Blame MacPhail

JTrea81

Yeah Tex is doing horrible in a dozen or so games. Great point. I will bump this thread at the end of the year and we will see if we have one player within 20% of his production.

You are missing the point. If we had Teix manning 1b for the Orioles in 2010 they would most likely be in the same position they are in now. We've been told that one of the reasons we are losing is because AM didn't acquire a cleanup hitter like Teix and the point is that with the collective funk most of the roster is in we would not be any better off in wins/losses at this point if we had followed Trea's advice and given Teix a blank check.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are missing the point. If we had Teix manning 1b for the Orioles in 2010 they would most likely be in the same position they are in now. We've been told that one of the reasons we are losing is because AM didn't acquire a cleanup hitter like Teix and the point is that with the collective funk most of the roster is in we would not be any better off in wins/losses at this point if we had followed Trea's advice and given Teix a blank check.

Absolutely correct. But there's no telling Trea different.

The Teixeira boat had sailed last offseason but there were other hitters available via trade or FA.

And the offense is why this team is losing game after game. There is no consistent hitter, no threat.

And it was obvious before the offseason started that the Orioles needed more offensive help if they wanted to win more games this year and yet MacPhail did next to nothing to add it.

His priority instead was pitching, as usual, leaving the offense as an afterthought.

The Teixeira boat had sailed last offseason but there were other hitters available via trade or FA.

And the offense is why this team is losing game after game. There is no consistent hitter, no threat.

And it was obvious before the offseason started that the Orioles needed more offensive help if they wanted to win more games this year and yet MacPhail did next to nothing to add it.

His priority instead was pitching, as usual, leaving the offense as an afterthought.

Looks to me as if pitching was his priority he accomplished his mission. I don't think any of us can find any fault with the current starters. However, the bullpen is a different story obviously. This is something that needs to be corrected sooner rather than later.

I just believe that losing has become a habit with the Orioles. It's like they play and expect to lose and just go through the motions. Lack of hustle, boneheaded base running, poor fundamental baseball, they do all of these things. I'm not sure how to fix it and apparently Mr. McPhail is perplexed as well.

Looks to me as if pitching was his priority he accomplished his mission. I don't think any of us can find any fault with the current starters. However, the bullpen is a different story obviously. This is something that needs to be corrected sooner rather than later.

I just believe that losing has become a habit with the Orioles. It's like they play and expect to lose and just go through the motions. Lack of hustle, boneheaded base running, poor fundamental baseball, they do all of these things. I'm not sure how to fix it and apparently Mr. McPhail is perplexed as well.

The bullpen problems are only magnified by the lack of offense.

It puts more pressure on the bullpen to hold a 1 run lead.

Had the team given the pen a 4 run lead or more, we'd be winning a lot more games despite the runs given up by the bullpen.

This team can't even score 4 runs a game.

Dude, this is roughly the same offense that PECOTA had scoring the second most runs in the league last year. Its a slump you hump.

As someone else already said, we've lost 3 in a row to a team that has Kevin Kouzmanoff as their cleanup hitter. Go away.

Good points. When will see a 5 or 6 run lead again in the ninth inning? Maybe in Seattle? It would be nice to have one game where we only use two pitchers.

At this rate. . . we wont even see 6 runs on the board, let alone a 6 run lead

I don't know why everyone is always down on Trea when the guy only speaks the truth. This is one of the worst run FOs I have ever had the displeasure of seeing in my short 35 years (30 of which were spent watching baseball).

We aren't aggressive on the FA market. We make mediocre trades for guys who have what I call the "IF" clause because their signing is always hedged on whether or not they MIGHT bounce back.

ATKINS

EATON

PAYTON

RAMON HERNANDEZ

SAMMY SOSA

BAEZ

KRIS BENSON

MIGGI

And lord know who else because I've blocked it out of my mind.

Let's get this through people's skulls: ANDY MACPHAIL is incapable of building this team to a contender's status. He was AWESOME at turning the farm system around to where an average MLB team has theirs but beyond that, I can't see where he's going to make the necessary, big time deal with an impact bat and a true, honest-to-god, front of the rotation starter and quality bullpen help.

People can shout statistics at me all night long, but the proof is in the pudding. This team isn't awful, but is still missing a few key elements and AM refuses to make the moves that fix those holes and for the life of me I don't understand why.

Show me where I'm wrong.

MSK

I definitely agree with this. It really irks me how all of these guys act like JTRea is just completely stupid for wanting us to actually show some competitive spirit and go get some difference makers. I for one am sick of watching us hope that these has beens can bounce back as well. I just want one time for us to get a FA or make a trade for a guy that I KNOW will produce...just once. You can say its reactionary or whatever you wanna say, but the truth is I haven't seen a good Orioles team since I have been old enough to really follow them. Obviously what we are doing isn't working. We have solid complimentary pieces, but we need a true star to take the pressure off these young guys and allow them to grow instead of putting all the pressure on them to be the saviors right away. Give them some help!

It's not just about Tex. It's about all of the FAs acquired, and the sum of talent on the team now. That's the argument. Tex was two seasons ago. JTrea's argument in not just about Tex.

Dude, this is roughly the same offense that PECOTA had scoring the second most runs in the league last year. Its a slump you hump.

As someone else already said, we've lost 3 in a row to a team that has Kevin Kouzmanoff as their cleanup hitter. Go away.

Yeah, but that projection was way off. In reality, they were the 4th worst offense in the AL last year, and outscored by five NL teams. That offense wasn't very good, so let's not treat it like as though it was.

We've been told that one of the reasons we are losing is because AM didn't acquire a cleanup hitter like Teix and the point is that with the collective funk most of the roster is in we would not be any better off in wins/losses at this point if we had followed Trea's advice and given Teix a blank check.

My question is when (and as far as I'm concerned it's when and not if) the Red Sox put together a package we could have easily beaten without 'raiding our farm system' - the usual excuse fans scared of their own shadow and Glenn Davis make - which lands them Adrian Gonzalez what will be the FO apologists excuse?

Will it be the we aren't one-two pieces away excuse? Which is the loser's mentality. We have been losing close games with decent pitching and no run support. AGon is exactly what we need.How about the two year rental excuse? Funny how teams NOT known for being cheap never make this excuse.

Can't use the he was not coming here excuse. Since it'd be via trade.

I think at this point you can absolutely blame MacPhail and I was a huge fan of the rebuilding until I saw him go dirt cheap non every free agent and then go idiotically cheap on then international market this year.

The Miguel Sano screw up was unacceptable and where were the fans to hold him to the fire. Kissing his rear end still.

He's a cheapskate like our owner.

Fact: Always mid payroll figures in Chicago in the #3 media market.

Fact: MASN creates the number #4 media market by combining DC and Baltimore. We are just behind Chicago. And O's own 90%

Fact: MD is the richest state in America last two years.

Fact: We have a larger potential fan base then the Red Sox geographically due to population and lack of competition in surrounding states to the south. Sox have Yankees for border states- we have Nats. Case closed.

Fiction: we can't spend like the Red Sox

Fact: Angelos has had no problem taking their rev share dollars though. Questioning this is a joke now that the Sox and Yanks have confirmed handing them out. Brewers owner admitted taking tens of millions of dollars in rev share and we all know the Marlins issue.

We can blame MacPhail for building this team solely through the two cheapest methods possible. Trading for the future and the draft. He's done both perfectly in my opinion. But it's far from enough as we are seeing right now.

I 100% blame him for not getting us a proven cleanup hitter.

He can prove fans who don't just buy into everything blindly by trading for AGon right now and offering a legit extension. He can be had if we want him.

The only question is do we want him in Orange and Black or facing us 18 times a year as a member of the Red Sox.

Archived