Time for Bergesen to go back down (update: Bergesen sent down)

Tony-OH

I know it's early (three starts), but besides one good start in the spring, he's been terrible and it's all about command or lack there of. He can't throw his slider for strikes and when he does it's a hanger. His fastball has been all over the place and he's getting the ball up way too often.

Whether it's because of the shoulder injury this off season or not, all I can say is this is not the same guy as last year. It pains me to say that because he was so much fun to watch last year, but he needs to go back to Norfolk until he can refind his command. Also, his mound presence is terrible right now.

The guy we saw last year is a major league pitcher. Until he can refind that guy he needs to be pitching somewhere else.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember when he got nailed on the shin?

It looked bad when it happened and we all knew he would miss a few starts. Then it turned out that he'd miss the rest of the season.

All offseason he alluded to his shin still being sore, not feeling right, etc.

And now he's a shadow of his consistent self from last year.

A liner off the shin has seriously messed up Brad Bergesen's career...and you wonder why I jump off the bridge each time there is bad news with this team. I called it back when he was still feeling sore in September.

It just never ends.

I think after tonight there is no way you keep him up here and continue to destroy his confidence. He has to work on his delivery. His tempo is fast, he's lurching and his arm action is different.

I'm torn between getting Arrieta a look or keeping him down a little longer and starting Berken a few times through.

Tony, do you think he is pyschologically over the line drive off his leg and if not, could that be effecting him?
Don't know about the line drive, but man... Seeing him before Trembley pulled him out.

Wow.

His face told the whole story. Brad was about to lose it. He seriously was on the verge of tears... He's got absolutely no confidence at all right now.

It's very disappointing and he needs to go back down. Tonight, I saw a young man who lost his composure and gave in. He got squeezed on a strike, seemed to have a temper tantrum and just started heaving the ball with no authority. Can't do that in the Big Leagues, and he needs to be accountable by going back to Norfolk. What a shame.

It's very disappointing and he needs to go back down. Tonight, I saw a young man who lost his composure and gave in. He got squeezed on a strike, seemed to have a temper tantrum and just started heaving the ball with no authority. Can't do that in the Big Leagues, and he needs to be accountable by going back to Norfolk. What a shame.

I agree with this.

Between getting squeezed and having Wigginton boot a double play ball, Bergesen lost his composure. It was pretty obvious.

I know it's early (three starts), but besides one good start in the spring, he's been terrible and it's all about command or lack there of. He can't throw his slider for strikes and when he does it's a hanger. His fastball has been all over the place and he's getting the ball up way too often.

Whether it's because of the shoulder injury this off season or not, all I can say is this is not the same guy as last year. It pains me to say that because he was so much fun to watch last year, but he needs to go back to Norfolk until he can refind his command. Also, his mound presence is terrible right now.

The guy we saw last year is a major league pitcher. Until he can refind that guy he needs to be pitching somewhere else.

There is no way BB stays in the rotation after tonight. No chance.

Tony, do you think he is pyschologically over the line drive off his leg and if not, could that be effecting him?

I think it's all about a lack of command. He really is nowhere near the guy he was in the minor leagues over the last two years. I don't think it's psychological but then again I don't know him that well.

Either way, his mound presence is absolutely terrible and he's now folded twice after his defense let him down. That's not a good combination.

Arrieta should probably be the next man up although his walks still concern me a bit. I like Berken in the bullpen, but he could always be another option.

I think it's a natural fit to move give Arrieta a chance since he threw well tonight.

Yeah, it was the second pitch to Ichiro. He should have been up 0-2 in the count. Then he fell apart. Sure he may have been pitching around Ichiro, but he didn't throw anything to Figgins. After Monatanez' throw and Wigginton's error, he completely fell apart. The pitches to Griffey, Bradley, and Kotchman were meatballs.

I think it's all about a lack of command. He really is nowhere near the guy he was in the minor leagues over the last two years. I don't think it's psychological but then again I don't know him that well.

Either way, his mound presence is absolutely terrible and he's now folded twice after his defense let him down. That's not a good combination.

Arrieta should probably be the next man up although his walks still concern me a bit. I like Berken in the bullpen, but he could always be another option.

I think it's a natural fit to move give Arrieta a chance since he threw well tonight.

Any chance that they bring up Simon instead and let Arrieta continue to develop in Norfolk?

Archived