Seems like MacPhail "gets it"

Hank Scorpio

Based on this...

In several different interviews over the past couple of days, MacPhail maintained he has yet to decide on a game plan for 2008 and beyond. That will come sometime in the next couple of weeks, after the organizational meetings end.

MacPhail acknowledged a total rebuilding job, which would likely mean the trading or buying out of several veterans, is one option. He said it has become clear, especially in the midst of the Orioles' typical late-season swoon when they lost 28 of their final 39 games, that the team is not close to being a playoff contender.

"I don't think we're one signing away from the postseason," MacPhail said. "I hate to put years on it, because a lot of that is a copout, but it's not like we're right around the corner."

MacPhail said no matter what route the front office chooses, the focus of the organization from this point forward will be on scouting and development, placing a priority on pitching. A recent Baseball America study of player development ranked the Orioles 28th among 30 major league teams. MacPhail said that the number is unacceptable, especially in a division with two financial heavyweights in the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees.

"We have to do a good job of identifying talent at every level and then teaching it and instructing it," he said. "We're not going to be able to go toe-to-toe, dollar-for-dollar with New York and Boston, nor do you have to necessarily. We just need to do things very well, and that's the same thing on the field."

Rest of article here.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another excellent quote:

"There are really a small number of players that one would assume would make a meaningful difference, and there will be a lot of activity for them," he said. "We'll look at the economics, the free agents and their ability and get a realistic idea of who might come here."

So no more wasting time trying to woo the Carlos Lee's and Paul Konerko's of the world if they have no intention of signing here. Excellent!

GOod to hear...Now execute it.

BRob, Bedard and Tejada...They need to go(to do a proper rebuild).

Trade DCab with Miggy.

Buyout a few bad contracts.

Do it right!

Question for you, SG...

If Mazzone does not return, do you hang on to Cabrera to see how he fares under a different pitching coach? I'm not saying to not shop him around, but if it's a rebuilding year would it really be that detrimental to have him out there?

With that quote a little while back about how the GMs who were looking at Cabrera at the deadline were relieved that they didn't actually trade for him, wouldn't we be better off seeing if he can bounce back and move him next deadline (if the ultimate goal is to move him anyway)?

First thing they need to do this offseason is figure out a direction and then go to Bedard with a contract offer.

Bigbird has mentioned a 4/48 offer...That is a great offer. There is no real need to go much more than that.

So, you approach him with that deal....You tell him what your intentions are.

If he says he doesn't want to sign, then you look to deal him.

Question for you, SG...

If Mazzone does not return, do you hang on to Cabrera to see how he fares under a different pitching coach? I'm not saying to not shop him around, but if it's a rebuilding year would it really be that detrimental to have him out there?

With that quote a little while back about how the GMs who were looking at Cabrera at the deadline were relieved that they didn't actually trade for him, wouldn't we be better off seeing if he can bounce back and move him next deadline (if the ultimate goal is to move him anyway)?

If you can't get anything for him, then you keep DCab.

Let's take Arizona for example....If Arizona will trade Jackson, Quentin/Young and Callaspo for DCab and Tejada, you jump on that trade IMO.

That is what i would do with DCab...Either package him or try and trade him for a good young player who maybe hasn't lived up to hype quite yet(like Quentin)...In other words, trade potential for potential.

Encouraging to say the least. We can argue all we want about the Weiters signing, Trax trade, the way the team collapsed, Trembley's extension, but the truth is we know nothing about who the Orioles are under MacPhail until we see what he does this offseason. If this quote is any indication of what he will actually do, I am optimistic.

I especially like "trading or buying out of several veterans" - particularly the "buying out" part. I think there are some players with little value who we need to part ways with, even if it means eating the money (I don't even feel the need to name them :P).

If we just dealt our best pitcher and arguably our best veteran player along with a guy who hit nearly 20 Home Runs with nearly 80 RBI's after missing a month of the season..do you really believe that even with some quality prospects...we can be that much better someday..do you really???

I can see moving Tejada, Cabrera and trying to get out from under some contracts(Gibbons and maybe Mora) but the liklihood of us making all of the moves above sounds desperate..and panic button stuff. No way we make all those moves...unless Macphail is a complete idiot. I GUARENTEE WE WONT MOVE BEDARD..AND ROBERTS..I GUARENTEE IT..

Sports guy....ask your doctor and see what Paxil can do or you!

Im thankful for a voice of sanity!:002_ssmile:

If we just dealt our best pitcher and arguably our best veteran player along with a guy who hit nearly 20 Home Runs with nearly 80 RBI's after missing a month of the season..do you really believe that even with some quality prospects...we can be that much better someday..do you really???

I can see moving Tejada, Cabrera and trying to get out from under some contracts(Gibbons and maybe Mora) but the liklihood of us making all of the moves above sounds desperate..and panic button stuff. No way we make all those moves...unless Macphail is a complete idiot. I GUARENTEE WE WONT MOVE BEDARD..AND ROBERTS..I GUARENTEE IT..

Are you serious? If this team is rebuilding with quality, unproven talent what good is BRob and Bedard to us especially since they could fetch us more talent. Not dealing them is just half-assing it.

"Desperate and panic button stuff"? Have you been an O's fan for long? I'd call it pretty desperate right now.

Roy...Do you understand the need to get younger, cheaper, deeper and more talented?

Do you get that this team is going NO WHERE and that guys like BEdard and BRob are going to leave in 2 years anyway?

Do you get that we are extremely unlikely to contend over those next 2 years to convince them to stay?

And, do you also understand that even if we do convince them to stay that we will have to give them long term, high dollar, foolish contracts that will likely come back to hurt us?

If you understand these things, then i don't see how you can be upset if they are dealt.

If you don't understand this, i would like to know how you think we are going to get younger, better, cheaper and more talented?

Your idea is to trade guys with NTC, guys in down years or guys with no value...What happens when you do that? You go out and sign more of the same guys you just traded because you have no MiL depth to put players at those positions.

Roy...Do you understand the need to get younger, cheaper, deeper and more talented?

Do you get that this team is going NO WHERE and that guys like BEdard and BRob are going to leave in 2 years anyway?

Do you get that we are extremely unlikely to contend over those next 2 years to convince them to stay?

And, do you also understand that even if we do convince them to stay that we will have to give them long term, high dollar, foolish contracts that will likely come back to hurt us?

If you understand these things, then i don't see how you can be upset if they are dealt.

If you don't understand this, i would like to know how you think we are going to get younger, better, cheaper and more talented?

Your idea is to trade guys with NTC, guys in down years or guys with no value...What happens when you do that? You go out and sign more of the same guys you just traded because you have no MiL depth to put players at those positions.

I'm not sure about Roberts, but Tejada, yeah, and if Bedard will not sign an extension this offseason, see ya.... I think we can make a nice dent in rebuilding with trading Bedard, DCab, Tejada. However, since our philosophy as defined by our FO is on pitching, it isn't likley Bedard is going anywhere regradless this offseason.

Archived