Seems like MacPhail "gets it"

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MacPhail said no matter what route the front office chooses, the focus of the organization from this point forward will be on scouting and development, placing a priority on pitching. A recent Baseball America study of player development ranked the Orioles 28th among 30 major league teams. MacPhail said that the number is unacceptable, especially in a division with two financial heavyweights in the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees.

"We have to do a good job of identifying talent at every level and then teaching it and instructing it," he said. "We're not going to be able to go toe-to-toe, dollar-for-dollar with New York and Boston, nor do you have to necessarily. We just need to do things very well, and that's the same thing on the field."

Hmm, this has a familiar ring......

Like I've said several times this offseason, these things are easy to say, and much harder to do. I hope Duquette can succeed where MacPhail did not, but it won't be a cakewalk.

Another excellent quote:

"There are really a small number of players that one would assume would make a meaningful difference, and there will be a lot of activity for them," he said. "We'll look at the economics, the free agents and their ability and get a realistic idea of who might come here."

So no more wasting time trying to woo the Carlos Lee's and Paul Konerko's of the world if they have no intention of signing here. Excellent!

This makes my mind-grapes hurt.

Another excellent quote:

"There are really a small number of players that one would assume would make a meaningful difference, and there will be a lot of activity for them," he said. "We'll look at the economics, the free agents and their ability and get a realistic idea of who might come here."

So no more wasting time trying to woo the Carlos Lee's and Paul Konerko's of the world if they have no intention of signing here. Excellent!

Necro-post of the century.

Another excellent quote:

l9IkM.png

Archived