darnell mcdonald

baltimorebirds

did anyone see the highlights from the red sox game. McDonald -- the former first round pick of the O's who was a five tool guy and supposed to be a part of our future (I've heard that many times) -- hit the game tying homerun and walk off hit at Fenway tonight.

It's amazing how Fenway can turn the lousiest of hitters into stars (hey - it resurrected the careers of Bay, Ortiz, and Lowell)

did anyone see the highlights from the red sox game. McDonald -- the former first round pick of the O's who was a five tool guy and supposed to be a part of our future (I've heard that many times) -- hit the game tying homerun and walk off hit at Fenway tonight.

It's amazing how Fenway can turn the lousiest of hitters into stars (hey - it resurrected the careers of Bay, Ortiz, and Lowell)

His "game-winning hit" would have been an easy out in any other ballpark. That was a routine fly ball that barely got to the monster.

It is nice so see have have some success even if its with Boston, but are you implying that he is now going to become a star because of one game?

Glad to see someone like that stick with the game for so long. He probably had a nice hefty signing bonus when he was a rookie and could have retired from young had he invested properly and found a good job somewhere and not have to worry about making a big income. But he stuck with it and has had a few cups of coffee here and there. Good to see a nice contribution tonight.

To all the Orioles fans, I have a confession. In two weeks I will own a piece of Red Sox clothing in my closet. I have followed Darnell since he lived with my family in 1999 in Frederick and he has become family. I have never been more proud than to see the headlines http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100420&content_id=9436060&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

I immediately went to redsox.com shop and purchased a custom tshirt of his even though I told him I would never be able to don such apparel if he was a red sox or worse yankee. I eat my words and will proudly wear the shirt to all red sox/o's games I attend(underneath my orioles jacket of course). Congratulations is deserved to him and his supporting family. I had to post this thread.

Mcdonald just threw out a runner at the plate to end the top of the fourth, and then Homered in the bottom of the inning...This is movie stuff! Good for him!

He's the second Red Sox player to homer in their first two games with the team..the other being former Oriole Sam horn.

I'm happy for Darnell. Although he was never a very out-spoken young man when I covered back in his days in the Orioles system, he was always polite and I always thought that injuries were the main thing holding him back from out least having a decent major league career.

Glad to see him have some success, even if it is with the Red Sox. Just another reason to show how cursed this organization is when the Red Sox can get a spark from a career minor leaguers and we can't get a spark from anyone on our team.

I'm happy for Darnell. Although he was never a very out-spoken young man when I covered back in his days in the Orioles system, he was always polite and I always thought that injuries were the main thing holding him back from out least having a decent major league career.

Glad to see him have some success, even if it is with the Red Sox. Just another reason to show how cursed this organization is when the Red Sox can get a spark from a career minor leaguers and we can't get a spark from anyone on our team.

Is it possible the "Curse of the Bambino" that haunted Boston for so many years has moved to Baltimore. Could Babe Ruth's ghost have decided to come back home and brought the curse with him.

Maybe we should call Ghostbusters and have them check out the Warehouse?

Is it possible the "Curse of the Bambino" that haunted Boston for so many years has moved to Baltimore. Could Babe Ruth's ghost have decided to come back home and brought the curse with him.

Maybe we should call Ghostbusters and have them check out the Warehouse?

Maybe you're right, because Cardinal Gibbons was suddenly announced closed after this school year in March, right after Orioles ST started.

St.Mary's Industrial School=Cardinal Gibbons, Babe Ruth attended St.Mary's

Glad to see someone like that stick with the game for so long. He probably had a nice hefty signing bonus when he was a rookie and could have retired from young had he invested properly and found a good job somewhere and not have to worry about making a big income. But he stuck with it and has had a few cups of coffee here and there. Good to see a nice contribution tonight.

Not 'probably'!

McDonald was set to play football and baseball for the University of Texas and had advised teams to pass on him if they weren't prepared to offer him a record signing bonus. As a result, he fell to the O's at #26. Having two 1st round picks (Jayson Werth at #22), the O's took a chance that they could convince him to sign for less.

They were successful at getting McDonald to sign for $1.9m, less than the $2m record for a HS player that had been given to #1 overall Kris Benson in 1996.

The O's were in the stretch run of a wire-to-wire AL East pennant run when they introduced their new prized millionaire prospect at Camden Yards. He received a standing ovation from the sold out crowd. (They sold out every night back then.) The O's went into 1998 with the largest payroll in baseball and their million-dollar-baby down on the farm.

Oh how things have changed.

Archived