Neyer reports on Harper's makeup

As long as he is coachable (or so good that he won't need to listen to any coaches) I couldn't care less. I also think it takes a fairly large amount of confidence and swagger to stand-up to the expectations that are being placed on the kid.

End of the day, all I care about is if he's going to negatively affect his team and if he is going to disrespect his organization. If the answer to each is "no", then sign me up.

As long as he is coachable (or so good that he won't need to listen to any coaches) I couldn't care less. I also think it takes a fairly large amount of confidence and swagger to stand-up to the expectations that are being placed on the kid.

End of the day, all I care about is if he's going to negatively affect his team and if he is going to disrespect his organization. If the answer to each is "no", then sign me up.

I definitely agree with this, but reading the quotes in the article, this seems to be a legitimate concern. He's obviously the best player in the draft, but being known as a "bad, bad guy" is definitely troubling.

Sounds like the kid could possibly turn into a more talented Billy Rowell. Uncoachable or unwilling to be coached. How would you feel about that?

I'd say there is zero chance Harper struggles to Rowell's extent. But coachability would be my concern. I'd talk to as many of Harper's past coaches (last three years) as I could to try and figure out what it takes to work with the kid.

Make sure to read the article. His makeup sounds off the charts bad.

On the other hand, it would be really nice to have a player that was awesome and that Red Sox and Yankees fans just reviled.

I personally like having a player on my team that everyone else in the league hates. Players like Greivis Vazquez and Alex Ovechkin are pretty much despised by anyone who follows their respective sports. The fans of their teams on the other hand, adore them because they do play with passion and do everything they can to help their teams win. The problem I have with Harper is that when they say that he has a sense of entitlement, I have doubts that he will be able to be told that he's not as good as he thinks he is, or that his natural talent will only take him so far. I'd love to take him with the third pick, but he definitely seems like less of a sure thing after reading the article.

NO chance he's there when we pick. So his bad attitude will be soon be the Nationals issue. Besides, Ty Cobb was (and enjoyed being known as) the meanest S.O.B. to ever walk the earth. He'd look pretty good in the 3 hole right now...

I'm going to mark this down as a non-issue. I don't care if fans like the guy as long as he produces on the field. I love the swagger actually - I'd take guys like Barry Bonds every day of the week. We need talent, regardless of their arrogance. It's about time this team got some well deserved arrogance anyhow *cough* Adam Jones *cough*.

How sweet would it be to see Harper rounding 3rd following a moonshot off of Sabathia, sporting an Orioles jersey, telling A-Rod, "you can't even carry my jock strap b****, I'm gonna end my career with 200 more homeruns than you!" :eektf::clap3:

• 2 weeks later...

Something tells me that being among much better players might knock him down a peg or two in the cockiness category. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If he somehow slipped to the O's, would he be treated as a catcher or something else?

Archived