I am so done with this bullpen

Sports Guy

The bullpen would be fine if it didn't have to keep holding 1 run leads...

Every bullpen gives up runs. You just don't notice it because those teams are usually leading by several runs.

If our offense could actually give a decent cushion, this bullpen would be fine.

Nah...these guys blow.

Too many situational guys that just can't get out the hitters they are supposed to.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles and Trembley like to talk one way and then go another. They kept saying they wanted guys who could get both righthanders and lefthanders out BUT Trembley doesn't use them that way anyway. He loves to try and match up. As someone else said the other night. It's like he keeps changing pitchers until he can find one to lose the game.

Yep...Typical Orioles...say one thing but allow your actions to be totally different.

I was gonna ask if Trembley always overmanaged the bul;lpen like he seemed to do tonight, but then I went and saw that every bullpen pitcher but Hendrickson walked the first batter he faced. Hendrickson got a sacrifice, so I guess he *could* have walked a batter too, given a chance. This bullpen really does inspire no confidence.

I still think Trembley overmanages the bullpen.

AUOriole

Trembley handled the pen correctly tonight in my opinion, they just failed him. He showed a quick hook with Meredeth and they were all over Ohman when it became clear he had no control.

But at some point, I think Trembley needs to change guys' roles if they simply aren't going to perform.

Yep...Typical Orioles...say one thing but allow your actions to be totally different.

It really makes you wonder - why not let the guys who are getting people out (Hendrickson and Berkens) pitch in situations where you need critical outs?

The bullpen would be fine if it didn't have to keep holding 1 run leads...

Every bullpen gives up runs. You just don't notice it because those teams are usually leading by several runs.

If our offense could actually give a decent cushion, this bullpen would be fine.

How would our three primary late inning guys having an ERA over 6.00 be fine?

I guess if the offense staked them to 8 - 10 run leads every night, that would be correct....but otherwise, I'm not feeling fine about any part of our pen at the moment except for long relief.

Trembley handled the pen correctly tonight in my opinion, they just failed him. He showed a quick hook with Meredeth and they were all over Ohman when it became clear he had no control.

But at some point, I think Trembley needs to change guys' roles if they simply aren't going to perform.

I agree with you. I don't think Trembley did a terrible job tonight, though I think his best move was the quick hook with Meredith. Trembley has said repeatedly that he views Ohman and Meredith has his Lefty/Righty match-up guys, respectively. Why he considers it important to match-up in the 7th/8th innings and "save" JJ for a save opportunity is beyond me.

You could tell he was going to Johnson in the 8th only for lack of options at that point. I'm not sure how many losses and blown saves he needs to have for Trembley to know not to put him in those situations. I would have preferred they bring in Johnson a little earlier and saved Hendrickson for the later innings (in the event of a tie or save opp.).

Completely agree that most or all of the guys in the current bullpen should not be part of our long term plans.

Koji and Gonzo should help out when they are healthy, but we need more power arms out there. I agree that Meredith, Albers and (sadly) JJ aren't likely to contribute to a good team...I'd give JJ at least the rest of the season to get his mojo back, while the other two could be shipped out by banana boat to China tomorrow and I wouldn't give a damn. I think Alfredo Simon and his fastball should be given a shot in late inning relief pronto. I'm also looking forward to Lebron getting a shot in the majors this season.

There's not a single pitcher in the bullpen that I could give the ball to on any given night and expect them to perform well. Unless we're up big as we were for a game in Oakland, this team has no chance to hold a lead. Unfortunately, with the way our team hits we'll be lucky to get a lead like that once a week or so.

Archived