I am so done with this bullpen

Sports Guy

The bullpen would be fine if it didn't have to keep holding 1 run leads...

Every bullpen gives up runs. You just don't notice it because those teams are usually leading by several runs.

If our offense could actually give a decent cushion, this bullpen would be fine.

The bullpen would be good if it didn't have to come through in high-leverage situations? That sounds like you're saying "the bullpen is bad", but with different words. Good bullpens handle high-leverage situations...bad bullpens don't.

I really, REALLY hate watching Albers pitch. It amazes me he's still in the big leagues.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if you believe Hernandez to be a number 3 starter, who believes he has more upside as a starter than Tillman or Arrieta?

Having a pitcher with Hernandez's stuff, that is able to pitch multiple innings in relief would greatly improve this team today.

If you want Hernandez to start, you have to trade Guthrie.

I would not have an issue with trading Guthrie at some point in the future but I fail to see where it is the inescapable conclusion that you seem to think it is. It is entirely possible that some combination of BB, Tillman, Arrieta and Britton do not become viable major league starters.

For the record Hernandez impressed me a lot more in spring training then Arrieta did. To my untrained eye he has shown greater willingness to work on his weaknesses. I am loving Arrieta's early results at Norfolk but I think his talents might be better suited to the bullpen then Hernandez's.

Then again I also think Givens is our closer of the future so what do i know?

I gave him a bit of a free-pass last year coming off the labrum-injury. There is no free-pass in 2010. You can not continue to fall behind hitters, and not attack. He nibbles too much and does not trust his stuff.

The O's have to start being accountable, and demanding results.

With his delivery, I wonder if he even knows where the ball is going sometimes. He doesn't strike me as a guy who nibbles, he just doesn't have very good control around the plate.

Guys like Olson nibbled because he didn't throw hard and didn't trust his stuff. Albers has good stuff, just not a very good idea of where it's going.

Use Johnson when we're ahead by 12 or more runs.

LOL. Then you might as well release him because this team can't score 12 runs in a 4 game series. Releasing him would be the humane thing to do, otherwise he would finish the season with zero appearances. Hey, that might not be all bad.

To me, it is imperative to get Tillman, and Arrieta as many starts as possible in the bigs during this 2010 season. For that to happen, there has to be movement in the rotation. Bergesen was one move, what is the 2nd? Obviously not going to be Matusz. Pretty clearly not going to be Millwood either right now.

Re: Givens... I see you are from FL... are you in Tampa? Did you see Givens in HS?

I don't see it as an imperative to get them as many starts as possible this season. I think they both have things that they can work on in Norfolk (Tillman's cutter and Arrieta's pitch efficiency). I also do not want to start Arrieta's service clock any sooner then needed considering his agent. There could be a point during the summer when I could be talked into a six man rotation to keep the innings down.

As for Givens, I never saw him pitch, but I heard some very positive things from someone I know who played against him a couple of years ago and still keeps his eye on the highschool game down here.

Hmm, I have paid attention the last several years and I do see these guys for what they are. Check your premises.

It's not just a coincidence that you're complaining about the guys struggling now. Berken was a fringe prospect who was terrible in his major league trial last season. If his ERA is six right now because one more fly ball blew into the stands or because three grounders took a slightly different trajectory through the infield, do you still say "he is one of two pitchers I have confidence in"? And if, somehow, stubbornly, you say yes to that question, how in god's name do you justify that confidence?

Berken was a starter in the minors and had some good peripherals...He also has pretty good stuff...I will always consider guys like that to be good pen arms..potentially.

As for the pen this year...we have 3 specialized guys...I hate players like that.

I have been wanting Albers gone for a while.

So, to act as if I am overreacting to one bad game is a joke.

My problem is if he has success as a starter than why bother putting him in the bullpen. I believe there's other ways in correcting the bullpen via trades or even putting in Arrieta or Simon or someone within our organization like Lebron. I also agree that Hernandez does have value for this ball club such as the bullpen but if he's doing it as a starter than you have to find other ways to fix the bullpen. I also know that there's other prospects lining up for that starters position, than it's time to start dealing some of this surplus that we have for some good hitters that can help(I mean real good hitters).

Thank you...I agree...The question is, do you believe he will continue success as a starter.

And whether you want to admit to it or not, there are plenty of reasons to suggest that he brings more value to this team as a reliever than a starter.

Right now though, he should continue to start and see what happens.

For some reason, it truly seems like this club is cursed when it comes to bringing in free agent arms for the bullpen.

Mike DeJean

Steve Kline

Steve Reed

Jim Brower

Jamie Walker

Danys Baez

Chad Bradford (to an extent)

These are all guys who had success in the big leagues before making it to the Orioles. Then, once they joined the team, they seemingly lost their talent, and a few of them never pitched in the majors again.

I was really hoping Will Ohman would be a different story this year, as he looked good in spring training. His ERA is still 0.00, but he hasn't been getting lefties out like we expected him to. The O's really can't catch a break when it comes to bringing in a free agent reliever.

Hendrickson has decent numbers out of the pen because he is never used in crucial spots. He also is not a LOOGY. If you have Berken, Uehara, and Hernandez - you do not need another long-man in Henderson.

You want to fix the bullpen it comes down to moving Hernandez there and hoping Uehara, and Gonzalez join the team sooner than later.

Figuring the O's would want to keep a LOOGY, I do not care if it is Ohman, or if they bring up Perez.

Ohman's control in 2010 leaves something to be desired, but he has made 10 appearances already. It was just 2008 when Ohman had 83 appearances for Atlanta, while getting 53 k's in 58 innings.

The O's will be improved when (if) their bullpen ever looks like:

Gonzalez

Uehara

Johnson

Mickolio

Hernandez

Berken

Ohman / Perez

Are you seriously advocating a BP without Hendrickson? I disagree that the reason he is pitching well is due to the situations he's pitched in as well. He's flat out been a good pitcher as a reliever the last few years. 3.31 ERA in that role with 7 k/9 and close to 3 k's per BB.

Hernandez should also continue in the rotation unless he shows that's not a good role for him.

I would not have an issue with trading Guthrie at some point in the future but I fail to see where it is the inescapable conclusion that you seem to think it is. It is entirely possible that some combination of BB, Tillman, Arrieta and Britton do not become viable major league starters.

Yes, of course.

It is also possible that Hernandez has a better chance of reaching his upside compared to some of those guys who may have a higher upside. DH has a better upside than some seem to think as well imo.

And I also will be fine with trading Guthrie at some point if enough of our starters show they're ready.

Even if you believe Hernandez to be a number 3 starter, who believes he has more upside as a starter than Tillman or Arrieta?

Having a pitcher with Hernandez's stuff, that is able to pitch multiple innings in relief would greatly improve this team today.

Or trade Tillman or Arrieta. If Hernandez can be a No. 3 than you can trade either one. You can trade Hernandez for that matter, if believe Tillman or Arrieta can be a No.3 starter.

I believe he does.

Any bullpen is liable to look bad when it continually is given little margin for error. When it is almost guaranteed we won't score more than three runs, each pitcher knows they'll have to be perfect, and since none of them are, they are the ones who look bad.

Archived