Angels and Orioles have discussed Tejada

markpolis

This from the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-angrep15jul15,1,4625760.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-angels&ctrack=1&cset=true

Tejada would move to 3rd base. Is Santana, Howie Kendrick and Scott Shields for Tejada a good deal? Perhaps we could add RLo and get Joe Saunders. Saunders is 10-3 with a 2.51 ERA in AAA Salt Lake City this year.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my question is whether Kendrick is capable of a position change? what a great hitter he's going to be! but what do you do with Roberts if Kendrick is at 2B? could roberts hack SS in the majors? personally, I think that isn't enough in return for Tejada...and it doesn't address needs.

Santana, Kendrick and Shields would do as Kendrick has some third base experience so I'm pretty sure he could handle first base----I would want Aybar rather than Shields as I believe he is going to be very good.

Hi Mark, interesting trade idea. I am not registered for that website, can you tell me if the trade you mentioned is in the article? I am a huge Kendrick fan, but I would have to wonder where he would play, with Roberts entrenched at 2B and Patterson and Markakis seemingly set in CF & RF.

I would rather have Wood, as he would fill a position of need at SS or even 3B (post Mora). But as always I hold out hope.

So Fahey's our SS then? Should we try and sign Lugo in the off-season if a Miggy trade doesn't include a SS?

Fahey would be fine at the SS position as long as we upgraded offensively at 1B and LF. Perhaps the easiest situation would be to put Kendrick at 3B and move Mora to LF. However, I doubt Mora would want to move from 3B.

Hi Mark, interesting trade idea. I am not registered for that website, can you tell me if the trade you mentioned is in the article? I am a huge Kendrick fan, but I would have to wonder where he would play, with Roberts entrenched at 2B and Patterson and Markakis seemingly set in CF & RF.

I would rather have Wood, as he would fill a position of need at SS or even 3B (post Mora). But as always I hold out hope.

Greg, sorry I didn't realize you had to be registered to gain access to the article. Here it is:

"For instance, when the Angels explored the possibility of trading for Miguel Tejada and making him their third baseman, the Baltimore Orioles are believed to have asked for Santana, Shields and prized infield prospect Howie Kendrick."

It doesn't say where Kendrick would play. Maybe the Orioles would try Kendrick in LF?

Hell, if it's Santana, Kendrick and Wood I'd throw in a Hawkins or something to make that happen. I agree with the Aybar over Shields comment. If we're trading Tejada....we have to have a successor in return. Wood or Aybar would be good candidates. If Kendrick would move to 3rd and Mora to left that would be ideal, but Mora has a track record when it comes to giving up his position for a young player.

Maybe the Orioles would try Kendrick in LF?

That would be nice! Solve your LF problem, add a #2 starter who's 24 and already successful and get a successor for Tejada (Wood or Aybar)? Hell, we can sweeten the pot enough to make trading Tejada worthwhile if they'd be willing to return that package of players.

Greg, sorry I didn't realize you had to be registered to gain access to the article. Here it is:

"For instance, when the Angels explored the possibility of trading for Miguel Tejada and making him their third baseman, the Baltimore Orioles are believed to have asked for Santana, Shields and prized infield prospect Howie Kendrick."

It doesn't say where Kendrick would play. Maybe the Orioles would try Kendrick in LF?

Thanks... as far as where Kendrick would play could depend upon other factors, such as whether we deal Gibbons or not. DH would be a nice fit for Howie =) I'd take him over Gibbons right now, especially with Jay's inability to stay healthy.

Kendrick in LF would give us a fairly weak OF in baseball, as far as power numbers. Who knows? I imagine Kendrick was not in the Orioles plans for a deal, as getting a good young SS would seem more prudent, ala Wood (preferred) or Aybar.

Tejada AND Mora makes alot of sense for the Angels, and would really up the overall asking price. Look at their position players as they currently stand and a comparison after such a trade;

*CURRENT ANGELS POSITION PLAYERS*

1B. Kendry Morales

2B. Adam Kennedy/Howie Kendrick

SS. Orlando Cabrera

3B. Chone Figgins

C. Jose Molina/Mike Napoli

LF. Garret Anderson

CF. Juan Rivera

RF. Vladimir Guerrero

DH. Tim Salmon

*POST TRADE*

1B. Kendry Morales

2B. Howie Kendrick

SS. Miguel Tejada

3B. Melvin Mora

LF. Juan Rivera

CF. Chone Figgins

RF. Vladimir Guerrero

DH. Tim Salmon/Garret Anderson

We would receive Santana, Wood, Aybar, Adenhart... I know, just another trade proposal...it'll never happen... I know, just dreaming =)

I would make this trade although i am nto sure how you don't get a first baseman unless you like Shealy more and are willing to give the Rockies what they ultimately want.

But, yea where do you play Kendrick? He is very short for first base.

Put him in LF.

I am actually happy they asked for Kendrick instead of Wood. Kendrick is probably the surest positional player prospect to succeed, and we need to come out on top if we trade Tejeda. His minor league stats are awe inspiring.

I would still like to throw in somebody else, and grab another one of their prospects.

Thanks... as far as where Kendrick would play could depend upon other factors, such as whether we deal Gibbons or not. DH would be a nice fit for Howie =) I'd take him over Gibbons right now, especially with Jay's inability to stay healthy.

Kendrick in LF would give us a fairly weak OF in baseball, as far as power numbers. Who knows? I imagine Kendrick was not in the Orioles plans for a deal, as getting a good young SS would seem more prudent, ala Wood (preferred) or Aybar.

Tejada AND Mora makes alot of sense for the Angels, and would really up the overall asking price. Look at their position players as they currently stand and a comparison after such a trade;

*CURRENT ANGELS POSITION PLAYERS*

1B. Kendry Morales

2B. Adam Kennedy/Howie Kendrick

SS. Orlando Cabrera

3B. Chone Figgins

LF. Garret Anderson

CF. Juan Rivera

RF. Vladimir Guerrero

DH. Tim Salmon

*POST TRADE*

1B. Kendry Morales

2B. Howie Kendrick

SS. Miguel Tejada

3B. Melvin Mora

LF. Juan Rivera

CF. Chone Figgins

RF. Vladimir Guerrero

DH. Tim Salmon/Garret Anderson

We would receive Santana, Wood, Aybar, Adenhart... I know, just another trade proposal...it'll never happen... I know, just dreaming =)

He has better power numbers than you would think.

A - 10 HRs in 313 ABs, .578 slugging

A+ - 12 HRs in 279 ABs, .638 slugging

AA - 7 HRs in 190 ABs, .579 slugging

AAA - 13 HRs in 290 ABs, .631 slugging

Just to compare, Brandon Wood has a .569 slugging in AA right now, and had a .672 slugging last year in A ball.

Archived