Arrieta says he is ready for the bigs

jiminnj

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this part:

A lot of guys once they get to the big leagues - I talked to [brian] Matusz about this, he said that he tried to change his whole approach rather than doing what he did in the minor leagues. I think I've got to use that advice when I do get there so I continue to have success like I have in the minor leagues.

It's good to see the young guys helping each other out, so one can learn from the other's mistakes. Arrieta obviously has great respect for Matusz, this is at least the second time he has referrred to Matusz in an interview.

I'd like to see him get the Start on Saturday, Let Bergensen get a few more starts down in Norfolk and get his confidence and momentum going before we bring him back up.

Agreed. His numbers are unreal right now. Let's see what hes got.

One problem with bringing up Arrieta -- he is not on the 40-man roster, so if he comes up, someone is going to have to be put through waivers. And, if he goes back down at any point, we've burned one of his options. Bergesen is already on the 40-man, and his option for 2010 is burned already. So, merits aside, it will be tempting to bring Bergy back.

One problem with bringing up Arrieta -- he is not on the 40-man roster, so if he comes up, someone is going to have to be put through waivers. And, if he goes back down at any point, we've burned one of his options. Bergesen is already on the 40-man, and his option for 2010 is burned already. So, merits aside, it will be tempting to bring Bergy back.

This is the tough call of the week to me. Bergy may need one more start to show he has his mojo back, and I kind of want to see Arrieta get his shot right now, while the team is trying to rebound from the horrific start.

It makes logistical sense to go with Bergy, but my inner Oriole wants to see the Arrieta first. All that, and I'm not ready to push Hernandez out of the rotation.

Tough choices.

-Don

I think that's a minor problem, and not enough to keep him down. He's going to be up at some point this year, he's got the hot hand now and he's earned the shot. I think it would be in his and Bergy's best interests if Arrieta got the call on Saturday.

I've always loved Arrieta's mentality. All objective analysis aside, it will be nice to get someone on the mound in orange in black who's a little bit mean and a little bit cocky. We have some very talented pitchers, but I'm not quite sure any of them are truly intimidating, if that makes sense.

Of course, I'll take a guy with Matusz' talent who looks like your next door neighbor in the suburbs when you were 15, but I'm looking forward to seeing Arrieta come after hitters.

Actually, if Bergesen is recalled for Saturday and isnt optioned again for the season, the option wouldn't have actually been used since the assignment has to total 20 days or more in the minors.

I've always loved Arrieta's mentality. All objective analysis aside, it will be nice to get someone on the mound in orange in black who's a little bit mean and a little bit cocky. We have some very talented pitchers, but I'm not quite sure any of them are truly intimidating, if that makes sense.

Of course, I'll take a guy with Matusz' talent who looks like your next door neighbor in the suburbs when you were 15, but I'm looking forward to seeing Arrieta come after hitters.

You mean like Daniel Cabrera? He threw hard, snarled a lot and wasn't afriad to hit someone.

I understand your point but I'd be thrilled if we had 5 guys like Brian Matusz.

What they say or their expression means zippo to me.

You mean like Daniel Cabrera? He threw hard, snarled a lot and wasn't afriad to hit someone.

I understand your point but I'd be thrilled if we had 5 guys like Brian Matusz.

What they say or their expression means zippo to me.

The 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

Archived