New Closer? Alfredo Simon?

orioleman123

I don't know if someone already posted about Alfredo Simon being our new closer. But he is sure hell better then Mike Gonzolaez. He sure looks better then he did last year. When he started agaisnt the Yankees in the third game in the first series last year. Looks like he has more movement. New delivery. He clocked his fastball last night 95-96 mph

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to criticize the guy you might want to spell his name correctly, unless that was part of the jab. Gonzalez. Lets have the guy come out there and pitch some more before we annoint him the closer or productive member of the bullpen, just like we need to have Gonzalez come back and pitch more than a handful of innings before we label him a failure.

If you're going to criticize the guy you might want to spell his name correctly, unless that was part of the jab. Gonzalez. Lets have the guy come out there and pitch some more before we annoint him the closer or productive member of the bullpen, just like we need to have Gonzalez come back and pitch more than a handful of innings before we label him a failure.

Spot on. My hope is that Simon and that power arm settles in and Gonzalez and Koji come back healthy and effective. Along with JJ who is far more reliable and comfortable in the 8th, we could see a pretty good bullpen replace the disaster that we have now.

I also know that the Mike Gonzalez we have seen is not the one who pitched last year. That gives me some hope that he can return to form.

The fastball did have a ton of movement. He didn't throw the slider consistently at all, only saw one good one to strike out Jeter.

I think he could be a reliable bullpen guy, but I don't know about a guy you really want in the back end. Worse pitchers than him have had good seasons out of the bullpen though, so you never know.

He's not better than Gonzalez though, at least not the normal Gonzalez. Anyone is better than what we've seen from Gonzalez this year, but obviously that's not what we should be expecting from him over the next two years.

The fastball did have a ton of movement. He didn't throw the slider consistently at all, only saw one good one to strike out Jeter.

I think he could be a reliable bullpen guy, but I don't know about a guy you really want in the back end. Worse pitchers than him have had good seasons out of the bullpen though, so you never know.

He's not better than Gonzalez though, at least not the normal Gonzalez. Anyone is better than what we've seen from Gonzalez this year, but obviously that's not what we should be expecting from him over the next two years.

If, we get the "normal Gonzalez" back, he has to be the clear-cut choice to close games. If he doesn't get back to his normal form, I'm fine with a closer by committee that includes guys like JJ and Simon.

If he keeps that kind of velocity and movement on his fastball, I think he's a legitimate option as a closer. His slider can be wildly inconsistent and still give him a good closer combination.

I think this was a brilliant idea (just to try it, really) and one that few of us saw coming. Could pay huge dividends.

Loved his demeanor; loved his out-pitch. And being a former starter, he should have a couple other pitches he can throw in there for show. Just don't hang any sliders. Simon gets a thumbs up from me as closer - until Gonzales comes back. Like Mike said, once Gonzales and Koji are 100% (knock wood), that's going to be a nice pen.

If he keeps that kind of velocity and movement on his fastball, I think he's a legitimate option as a closer. His slider can be wildly inconsistent and still give him a good closer combination.

I think this was a brilliant idea (just to try it, really) and one that few of us saw coming. Could pay huge dividends.

This. He certainly has the stuff to be a closer.

He also has the splitter. Seems like he had a hard time throwing it for strikes last night as well.

I'm certainly willing to let him try it out for a while. Jim Johnson has not done well in the closer role, although it has been a small sample size (my favorite phrase here at the HO!). It's worth it until Gonzalez is back. He's still the closer...he's being paid the big $$.

Archived