New Closer? Alfredo Simon?

orioleman123

Those runs you're applying to Simon were unearned.
Sort of. If Izturis fields that cleanly, he still doesn't get any outs most likely, and then the runs would be earned.

Simon's fastball looked good, but other than one slider, nothing else did. And he didn't have particularly good command of the fastball.

We've seen worse performances for sure, but lets please not overstate how good Simon looked last night. He really didn't look all that great. I think there is some potential there, but its still a long shot that Simon becomes a guy we are happy to have around.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sort of. If Izturis fields that cleanly, he still doesn't get any outs most likely, and then the runs would be earned.

Simon's fastball looked good, but other than one slider, nothing else did. And he didn't have particularly good command of the fastball.

We've seen worse performances for sure, but lets please not overstate how good Simon looked last night. He really didn't look all that great. I think there is some potential there, but its still a long shot that Simon becomes a guy we are happy to have around.

I disagree with that first part. Gardner didn't get out of the box well, and Izzy was charging hard. Would have likely been a close play, but it looked to me like he would have got him.

As far as Simon goes, it's impossible to say after just one outing. I agree his fastball looked good. It had great movement. The breaking stuff didn't look good at all. I wonder if the different ball had any effect on that? If he can get that slider over at 91MPH, he's going to be real tough out of the pen, regardless of his role. The splitter looked terrible, and if he can't get it down, he might as well just abandon it.

All things being equal, if Simon is always like that, it would be good to have him as a closer, or alternate closer should Gonzalez fall into another situation when he returns.

However, the reality is that Gonzalez will more than likely be put back as closer when he returns, simply because that's what he was signed for.

Simon looked really good last night, and does have a closer style to his pitching.

But, Gonzalez will get another crack at it, and they'll see what happens from there. All I know is that it's definitely not the same Gonzalez I know of from previous years.

Yeah but if Izturis field that grounder cleanly a run doesn't score.

As for Simom, I'd like DT to stick with the hot hand. Dont bring in a closer when the guy before is still cruising.

I think what I found most encouraging about Simon was his composure after that happenned. In his head, thoughts must have been swirling and somewhere in there must have been some doubt considering ARod was coming to the plate. Yet, he seemed fully compsosed and threw his pitch getting the harmless ground out.

I'm not willing to say he's the next great thing...but he seems to have the stuff and makeup to get the job done. He certainly has the stuff, and his stature reminds me of Daniel Cabrera...his fastball has Mariano Rivera cut to it. Obviously, the key is to throw strikes as a closer; but really isn't that the job of any pitcher?

I understand that I openned a can of worms by mentioning Cabrera :D

Archived