Apparently Adam Jones challenges the fans to some batting practice

bOhs01

This.

If you can't see a pattern here from the following events:

1. The Orioles tell him to play deep. His response - maybe I will and maybe I won't.

2. Worrying about Twitter, facebook etc. and challenging fans to batting practice.

3. Slamming his helmet and bat because its their fault he struck out for the eleventy billionth time this season.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable to suggest that perhaps he needs to show a little more maturity and put his priorities in the right place. I don't want to villify the man or run him out of town or trade him away. That doesn't mean I can't suggest that perhaps he needs to grow up a little bit.

1. Orioles coaches suggest different approaches, Adam agrees and decides to use spring training to experiment.

2. Adam appreciates his fans, interacts with them on a personal level and even extends an invitation to a lucky fan to join him on the field

3. Adam cares deeply about being a great baseball player and gets frustrated when he underperforms his own expectations.

We are talking about the same events right?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is swinging horribly, yes. But this crap has nothing to do with him swinging horribly. All this is conjecture, hearsay and finger-pointing in an attempt to falsely characterize someone.

He has been bad. But people are trying to find anything they can to characterize him as an ego-maniac and a headcase. Pretty soon they will be calling him a clubhouse cancer.

The level of scapegoating is horrendous.

You would have to be blind if you don't see some kind of maturity issues with him.

Whether this falls under that or not is in question but clearly, their are some issues there.

He is swinging horribly, yes. But this crap has nothing to do with him swinging horribly. All this is conjecture, hearsay and finger-pointing in an attempt to falsely characterize someone.

He has been bad. But people are trying to find anything they can to characterize him as an ego-maniac and a headcase. Pretty soon they will be calling him a clubhouse cancer.

Why? Whatever the reasons, his decline really can't be defended. After earning an all-star bid, he's been sub-mediocre (and that's putting it gently). Maybe the league figured him out. Maybe he's just not as good as we thought. Maybe he's losing concentration. Whatever the reason, he's terrible at the moment. And, when the team stinks, the best players become scapegoats...especially when the "best players" are the most obvious under-performers. I'm not sure how you can be surprised that he's being scapegoated, when his pathetic play is a big reason we don't score runs.

The only thing I take issue with is when he says something to the effect of, "Fans think it's easy."

Everyone you play sure makes it look easy, buddy. I guess you're just as good as they are.

Yeah, but we have no proof he actually said that - there is no record of it.

But please, please forgive a guy for saying something in the heat of the moment he may have later regretted and deleted. I know that he is the first person in the history of human existence to have ever done that over something as significant as this, but let's try to understand - it was bound to happen sometime.

Thing is, no one would give a crap about it if he wasn't swinging horribly. There isn't a lot of scapegoating here that is not warranted.

As far as a joke, you don't know if it was a joke or not, do you? Did he type "lol" after it? Did he give a ;) Is it not out of the realm of possibility it was out of frustration that he posted that comment on twitter? I know you're trying to be his personal parrot but really, just admit that things aren't always as they seem through your orange colored glasses. I'm not saying you're wrong about this, I'm just saying you refuse to admit the notion that you couldn't be wrong and that Adam Jones can do no wrong, that his attitude is peachy keen and the fact that he strikes out more than a fat man at a bar is alright with you.

As far as his challenge, I'd gladly accept $400,000 dollars or whatever he makes to try and hit my weight at the ML level. Show me the way.

Who said he is WORRYING about it? Seriously. SERIOUSLY.

As to three, didn't BJ Surhoff do that like every single time he struck out and didn't that make him "firey".

Okay, since you want to focus on one word instead of my point since you have backed yourself into a corner, I meant worrying about it in the context of it taking time out of your day, not literally sitting there worrying about it. I'm sure he doesn't worry about his twittering. I meant maybe it isn't the best idea to do it at all. Get some other hobby that is out of the public eye so that people don't get the wrong impression of him. Because that is obviously what is happening here.

He said these things not us. We're not characterizing him, we're discussing the things that came from him.

But please, please forgive a guy for saying something in the heat of the moment he may have later regretted and deleted. I know that he is the first person in the history of human existence to have ever done that over something as significant as this, but let's try to understand - it was bound to happen sometime.

Uh, it was on his Twitter account... so are you suggesting he was hacked?

Here are the posts directly from his Twitter account. My buddy emailed them to me yesterday at 11:18am.

THE_ADAM_JONES

got burnett tonight. how bout we make him have an early exit tonight. and score bout 12 runs. 5 minutes ago via web

THE_ADAM_JONES

i wanna hold a small clinic where i have people meet me at camden, i take them into the cage and throw bp. who think they can hit????? 7 minutes ago via web

THE_ADAM_JONES

funny how people thinks its easy from the stands. 9 minutes ago via web

THE_ADAM_JONES

its time i catch fire. hasnt been the most productive month but still playing my azz off like usual. 10 minutes ago via web

Oh come on dude. Seriously?

He's got a job any one of us would kill to have and he's making more money in his career than any single one of us in our entire lifetimes and we're supposed to just sit back and forgive and forget about something like that?

You never saw Cal or Brooks say anything like that and no one would be all "it was bound to happen" if they slipped up. Even if they had something like twitter back in the day I doubt you'd be seeing them say something like that as well.

"It was bound to happen". Awesome excuse making. I'm gonna take an extra long lunch today and tell my boss "it was bound to happen." I'm also not going to pay my AT&T bill because the service is questionable and when they call me all "Where's our money?" I'm just gonna say "Hey, your service ain't the best...it was bound to happen".

New idea! New Orioles marketing campaign!!

Your 2010 Orioles

IT WAS BOUND TO HAPPEN

1. Orioles coaches suggest different approaches, Adam agrees and decides to use spring training to experiment.

2. Adam appreciates his fans, interacts with them on a personal level and even extends an invitation to a lucky fan to join him on the field

3. Adam cares deeply about being a great baseball player and gets frustrated when he underperforms his own expectations.

We are talking about the same events right?

Amazing post sir.

Archived