MacPhail puts hitters on notice

clapdiddy

HA... What's this post even more amusing is that he's quoting a GM who did EXACTLY what Trea whines about all the time - this GM went out and spent BIG money this offseason and look at their results so far... 11-15.

Money can't buy me love.

He's probably on the phones trying to trade Milton Bradley. :laughlol:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because its idiotic to think that Jones and Reimold are struggling because they "aren't supported".

They seemed to do just fine last year without support.

The players playing poorly isn't MacPhail or Trembley's fault. Its the player's fault.

The only bad thing on this roster than MacPhail is responsible for, IMO, is Atkins. Everything else he did was pretty solid. It was never going to make us a contender this year, but we should have been able to be a pretty decent offensive club to go with our solid pitching. Unfortunately two key guys got hurt and three other key guys are completely crapping the bed at the plate. If Roberts, Pie, Reimold, Scott, and Jones were healthy and/or producing at even a bit below expected, we'd be hitting just fine.

That is an absurd statement.

How was our offense last year when Roberts and Pie were healthy last year? Werre you one of those guys that thought our hitting would be fine this year ? We have good young pitching so how does Andy support that ....buy NOT buying big bats to help them :rolleyes: Our guys almost have to throw a shutout to get as Win ...is that healthy for a pitching staff ?

12 times already this year we have scored 2 runs or less .... THAT is pathetic and it can be blamed on our GM for not upgrading our offense...or did you actuly think Nolan and Mtt would hit 35 homers eeach this year :laughlol:

Sounds like MacPhail has reached the end of his rope with the batters....

...and the last paragraph implies Trembley as well.

Well maybe he should have done a better job this offseason. I like AM, but these comments really burn me up. He signed some retread and tried to sell him as a bat (Atkins). His closer is hurt. DT asked for a TOR starter and got Millwood (acceptable given what we gave up-good move), but he also asked for someone in the middle of the order.

He got nobody. There is no urgency to win in this town. It is just a dog and pony show and it really makes me angry as a fan. Up to this point, I was on board with AM, but he lost me with this. We have the worst record in baseball and how do we address this? Call up Ryan Hughes? Come on-that is sickening. Do SOMETHING!!!!

I blame AM for this mess, not the hitters. All are guilty, but it is time he takes the blame.

This would be taken much more seriously if written by any other poster, unfortunately. I don't see how MacPhail can look at the performace of the team thus far and be satisfied or happy with his work. AM said it himself: there's only so long you can take the opposing pitcher into consideration before these guys just have to start playing. I'd say that goes the same for injury replacements all the way up through Adam Jones.

That... and he applauded OldFan's analysis too!

Well maybe he should have done a better job this offseason. I like AM, but these comments really burn me up. He signed some retread and tried to sell him as a bat (Atkins). His closer is hurt. DT asked for a TOR starter and got Millwood (acceptable given what we gave up-good move), but he also asked for someone in the middle of the order.

He got nobody. There is no urgency to win in this town. It is just a dog and pony show and it really makes me angry as a fan. Up to this point, I was on board with AM, but he lost me with this. We have the worst record in baseball and how do we address this? Call up Ryan Hughes? Come on-that is sickening. Do SOMETHING!!!!

I blame AM for this mess, not the hitters. All are guilty, but it is time he takes the blame.

Wow. I get that you're angry, but you don't blame the hitters? Seriously? Jones and Scott and Reimold are not to blame? Its MacPhail's fault that BRob and Pie went down with injuries and we have to rely on the bench guys to suddenly be starters? I agree MacPhail did not put this team in a position to win, but one certainly MUST blame the underperformance of the hitters as a major reason for the 7-21 start.

Wow. I get that you're angry, but you don't blame the hitters? Seriously? Jones and Scott and Reimold are not to blame? Its MacPhail's fault that BRob and Pie went down with injuries and we have to rely on the bench guys to suddenly be starters? I agree MacPhail did not put this team in a position to win, but one certainly MUST blame the underperformance of the hitters as a major reason for the 7-21 start.

Well of course they are to blame. That won't be the first time I say something out of frustration:) However, you have to look at the bigger picture with this organization. As I don't think AM is the biggest problem, I don't think the hitters are the biggest problem. It is just one problem after another. Where is the common theme?

Nobody takes responsibility and there is no true dedication to winning. We just wait and wait and spend and spend and nothing improves. I feel like a fool.

I agree with this. Jones has been absolutely abysmal. Maybe this "injury" will get him a DL stint and a chance to "rehab" in Norfolk (and no, I'm not hoping it's an injury, but the guy needs a wake up call).

And nearly everyone has been a terrible in situational hitting this year. That's not on MacPhail.

Well of course they are to blame. That won't be the first time I say something out of frustration:) However, you have to look at the bigger picture with this organization. As I don't think AM is the biggest problem, I don't think the hitters are the biggest problem. It is just one problem after another. Where is the common theme?

Nobody takes responsibility and there is no true dedication to winning. We just wait and wait and spend and spend and nothing improves. I feel like a fool.

Kind of like peeling the skin off of an onion - except an onion smells better. :)

Seriously, though, maybe the common theme IS at the top. But right now, the hitters that are supposed to be hitting aren't. What was it last night? 2 and 3rd, one out, and they left them there? Those are situations that have to be cashed in against teams like the Yankees.

HA... What makes this post even more amusing is that he's quoting a GM who did EXACTLY what Trea whines about all the time - this GM went out and spent BIG money this offseason and look at their results so far... 11-15.

... this goes along with the Pirates manager post.

They may be 11-15 but they aren't too far from their division lead unlike the Orioles who are 7-21 and fading fast.

The 1996 Orioles were under .500 as late as the deadline as well...

He needs to point the finger at himself. The players are performing poorly, this is true, but he can't absolve himself.

Yet this has nothing to do with what RShack and Hank are talking about. The point is you constantly call for players to be held accountable and called out by the manager/FO/etc, and then when it happens you flip flop and complain about it.

They may be 11-15 but they aren't too far from their division lead unlike the Orioles who are 7-21 and fading fast.

The 1996 Orioles were under .500 as late as the deadline as well...

I would agree if I didn't think that if we also had a 11-15 record you would still be railing against AM and the organization.

Archived