Ryan Berry looking good

RVAbird

He's thrown 5 scoreless innings tonight (5/5), striking out 8, walking 1 and allowing just 2 hits.

His ERA through 6 starts is down to 2.36 with the Shorebirds.

I think he's a real sleeper pick to have an Arrieta-esque rise through the system. I absolutely loved the pick at the time and it's looking just as good right now. He'll turn 22 in August so hopefully he gets the call from Frederick pretty soon.

The thing I've been most impressed with is his command. He's walked just 7 in 34.1 IP compared with 34 Ks. I think he profiles well both as a starter and out of the pen. It should be noted that he is a potential candidate for injury concerns, not just because of his history with Rice but also because of some interesting arm action. He missed some time due to arm trouble in his junior season, but he looks healthy now.

I'm probably biased because I love absolutely everything about his style - the glasses, the turn around the leg, the tongue sticking out and the "come right at ya" mentality.

I'll be watching his progress closely.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the 1.71 GO/AO :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't there talk before the season that he might start the year in Frederick? They took the more conservative route but he sure looks like a candidate for mid-season promotion if not an earlier promotion.

He's thrown 5 scoreless innings tonight (5/5), striking out 8, walking 1 and allowing just 2 hits.

His ERA through 6 starts is down to 2.36 with the Shorebirds.

I think he's a real sleeper pick to have an Arrieta-esque rise through the system. I absolutely loved the pick at the time and it's looking just as good right now. He'll turn 23 in August so hopefully he gets the call from Frederick pretty soon.

The thing I've been most impressed with is his command. He's walked just 7 in 34.1 IP compared with 34 Ks. I think he profiles well both as a starter and out of the pen. It should be noted that he is a potential candidate for injury concerns, not just because of his history with Rice but also because of some interesting arm action. He missed some time due to arm trouble in his junior season, but he looks healthy now.

I'm probably biased because I love absolutely everything about his style - the glasses, the turn around the leg, the tongue sticking out and the "come right at ya" mentality.

I'll be watching his progress closely.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the 1.71 GO/AO :)

This will probably jinx him and I'll take the blame, but I never remember Adam Loewen making a pitch without sticking out his tounge or biting his tounge. I thought it was weird then, and still do.

What was his reason for falling in the draft again? I remember when we took him a lot of people were saying that he was projected to being picked in a higher round.

Injury?

EDIT: NM, just re-read the first post again...missed time for injury.

Yeah, IIRC he regressed some in his sophomore season, and then missed time due to injuries in his junior campaign. Everyone knew he'd be looking for at least 2nd or 3rd round money regardless, so it wasn't surprising to see him slip past the first few rounds. He was a total steal in the 9th round, though.

Before the season, I was of the opinion he should have started in Frederick too but now I'm a believer in how they handle pitching prospects. Berry is a month into his first taste of pro ball, successful and on the verge of a promotion. His confidence must be through the roof right now, which is especially important when coming back from an injury. This sets him up for success. I don't see his great start in Delmarva as a reason as to why he should have started in Frederick but rather as to why the O's have been successful in developing pitchers.

Its great to see what he is doing but is less impressive when you consider his age.

That being said, he is doing what he needs to be doing and he needs to be moved up now...I mean, what's the point in keeping him in Delmarva right now? He is obviously a man amongst boys right now.

Get him up to Frederick and see what he does...if he dominates there, maybe he can get a few starts in Bowie at the end of the year and start there next year.

Its great to see what he is doing but is less impressive when you consider his age.

That being said, he is doing what he needs to be doing and he needs to be moved up now...I mean, what's the point in keeping him in Delmarva right now? He is obviously a man amongst boys right now.

Get him up to Frederick and see what he does...if he dominates there, maybe he can get a few starts in Bowie at the end of the year and start there next year.

Just thinking the same thing. It'd be nice to get him tracked to catch up to his age, speed through A and try to get him to AA for a cup of coffee at the end of the season.

Let's keep in mind that Berry won't turn 22 until August. At age 22, Brian Matusz pitched half a season in Frederick and half a season in Bowie. Ryan Berry stands a good chance of getting to Frederick at a younger age than Matusz did. He stands a decent chance of getting to Bowie at about the same age. He didn't dominate from the beginning so I think Delmarva was the right choice. He seems to be getting better with each start.

I was about to post a correction to this post, but I realized I was incorrect when I said he'd turn 23 in August. He is only 21 in Delmarva now. I'll edit the OP.

Thanks for pointing that out. It makes me feel even better about his developmental track.

Let's keep in mind that Berry won't turn 22 until August. At age 22, Brian Matusz pitched half a season in Frederick and half a season in Bowie. Ryan Berry stands a good chance of getting to Frederick at a younger age than Matusz did. He stands a decent chance of getting to Bowie at about the same age. He didn't dominate from the beginning so I think Delmarva was the right choice. He seems to be getting better with each start.
I was about to post a correction to this post, but I realized I was incorrect when I said he'd turn 23 in August. He is only 21 in Delmarva now. I'll edit the OP.

Thanks for pointing that out. It makes me feel even better about his developmental track.

Ahh, that makes more sense...I was going with what RVA was saying and he always seems correct to me.

That does help...Still, get him to Frederick ASAP.

But yes, it does make me feel better about his start.

First 3 starts

15.1 ip

21 hits

11 runs

8 earned runs

3 bb's

11 k's

Last 3 starts

21 ip

12 hits

1 run (earned)

4 bb's

25 k's

While I'd be fine with a promotion, nobody is "obviously" anything after three successful starts. For the season, the South Atlantic League batting average against all pitchers is just .249. Competition was batting .263 against Berry before tonight.

There are only a handful of college pitchers that can transition to High A in their first full season. I'm surprised at the "expectation" that Berry, a ninth rounder who had been discussed around the second round before his injury, should get to Frederick so quickly - especially when comping Berry against college pitchers taken in the third or fourth round. He is doing just fine with a string of quality starts.

Archived