Keith Law on Taillon/Orioles

Not that there aren't so extremely knowledgeable posters here, but I don't think any of them make their careers in evaluating baseball prospects.

That said, I disagree with Sickels as I love Taillon. I'd be thrilled if we got him.

That's kinda the point, he doesn't either. Sickels just has contacts he talks to and regurgitates what he hears. He doesn't do much, if ANY scouting or evaluating himself. Saying he is a great draft evaluator is like saying Tim Dierkes (MLBTR) is a great GM in waiting.

Sorry, don't mean to rant, just bothers me once or twice a year when he says something dumb. He basically said, when guys get too hyped, he knocks them down a peg in his rankings because of it, really???? UGH.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are some out there that prefer the overall package that Karsten Whitson brings over Taillon.

On that note, me personally, I tend to like the complete package guys, the guys with poise and good coachability more than the hard throwers, but I really like Taillon this year. He's in that Beckett class for me, and like SG said earlier, those guys with velocity, control and good secondaries only come along once every couple years.

In all fairness before this season started, I liked Cole more than him because Cole still has a good amount of projection to grow into, and a couple nice secondaries. It should say something that as a HS kid, he's compared more to the college arms than the HS arms because he's that advanced.

I highly recommend this video. He seems to be a genuinely good kid. And whether he realizes it or not, he also talks as if he intends to be a pro soon.

Also some good video of a very nice, smooth delivery, without undue effort.

Plus rep for this!

EDIT: I also note that he still has a little room to fill out in his upper body.

Thank you! In regards to your comment about the intent to be a pro, read the last bit of this interview....

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/kzF5L0f1Ed-lugAcxJTdpg/texas-ace-could-become-first-high-school-right-hander-to-be-taken-no-1-in-mlb-draft.htm

The whole thing is good, but he talks about going "pitch for pitch" against Beckett at 21. Maybe a little premature, but I like the attitude.

Archived